Canceling CB Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Canceling CB Question

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am

How soon before a callback can I cancel? If I get an offer a couple hours before a scheduled callback can I cancel it? Wouldn't effect travel or anything.

Anonymous User

Re: Canceling CB Question

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 am

My T14 career services told me I should "ideally" cancel a week in advance, and "at the minimum" 24 hours.

Not sure if I buy this.

Also, if you accept an offer, you can and should cancel at any time.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am

Why cancel? Is there something about the firm that is an absolute deal breaker? While I agree that you shouldn't waste a firm's time, I would not be too quick to close down your options prematurely. It is very hard to judge firms on paper (it's not easy to judge them after callbacks either, but you do get more data).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am

The offer is in a market that I vastly prefer. There's no question I would take it over the Cb firm.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:27 am

Just cancel. Who gives a crap? If an interviewee cancelled 5 minutes before an interview, I'd say "oh, whatever," throw the resume in the trash, and get back to billing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am

If your career services has requested you give at least 24 hour notice, and it's no skin off your back to go do the CB, I would personally do your CSO a solid and just go on it. That's just me, though. The experience of doing callbacks when you know you wouldn't accept the offer anyway is pretty bizarre, it has a completely different feel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:02 pm

You should cancel. Someone else truly interested in the firm may be given a callback in your place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should cancel. Someone else truly interested in the firm may be given a callback in your place.
Not if it's a few hours before the CB.

Anyway, yes, cancel--if you have no intention of taking the CB, tell them and they'll understand. They don't want to waste attorney's time talking with someone who's not going to work there. But if it's a morning CB, you could do worse than a free lunch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Cancel it. Waste of everybody's time. They'll thank you for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Why cancel? Is there something about the firm that is an absolute deal breaker? While I agree that you shouldn't waste a firm's time, I would not be too quick to close down your options prematurely. It is very hard to judge firms on paper (it's not easy to judge them after callbacks either, but you do get more data).
Are you serious? If you receive an offer from a firm that you prefer to any remaining on your schedule, you should 100% cancel those. It may not play out this way, but there is a chance that it opens a spot up for someone else at your school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:41 pm

whats the best etiquette on canceling? Phone call or email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the best etiquette on canceling? Phone call or email?
Man up and call.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the best etiquette on canceling? Phone call or email?
generally email, but if it's so close that you don't think they'd check in time, you may want to call recruiting

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:Why cancel? Is there something about the firm that is an absolute deal breaker? While I agree that you shouldn't waste a firm's time, I would not be too quick to close down your options prematurely. It is very hard to judge firms on paper (it's not easy to judge them after callbacks either, but you do get more data).
Are you serious? If you receive an offer from a firm that you prefer to any remaining on your schedule, you should 100% cancel those. It may not play out this way, but there is a chance that it opens a spot up for someone else at your school.
And how would you know that you wouldn't prefer it? Because it isn't as highly ranked on Vault? :roll:

OP had an excellent reason for canceling -- wrong market. Similar ones would be low pay, wrong practice group focus (and even this one I'd hesitate on. Most barely-2Ls don't have a real idea of what different practices are like.). But callbacks are ways to get information to make a decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Canceled one tonight for tomorrow via email. Should I call I cancelled because I told my far and away number 1 firm if offered I would accept and was offered just tonight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And how would you know that you wouldn't prefer it? Because it isn't as highly ranked on Vault? :roll:

OP had an excellent reason for canceling -- wrong market. Similar ones would be low pay, wrong practice group focus (and even this one I'd hesitate on. Most barely-2Ls don't have a real idea of what different practices are like.). But callbacks are ways to get information to make a decision.
It's entirely possible to KNOW that you prefer one place to an other, and you gave some good reasons. So yeah, thanks for the bizarre Vault strawman, and I stand by what I said

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's entirely possible to KNOW that you prefer one place to an other, and you gave some good reasons. So yeah, thanks for the bizarre Vault strawman, and I stand by what I said
Likewise, I stand by my original post that you irrationally jumped all over.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”