If it's not the stats and not the interviewing, what is it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: If it's not the stats and not the interviewing, what is it?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
There's an element of truth to this, but having done my fair share of hiring, firing, and being hired, the "biglaw" hiring model can seem especially capricious. But the "I'm an asshole./I'm not an asshole!" doublespeak the big firms are looking for (often subconsciously) is actually a key job skill and people who don't have it would probably hate the jobs, and should therefore be thankful for the dings. Calling the mystery metric "personality," however, is overly generous. It's more like "anti-personality" or "sliminess."

Can you expand on the doublespeak employers are looking for??

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:There's an element of truth to this, but having done my fair share of hiring, firing, and being hired, the "biglaw" hiring model can seem especially capricious. But the "I'm an asshole./I'm not an asshole!" doublespeak the big firms are looking for (often subconsciously) is actually a key job skill and people who don't have it would probably hate the jobs, and should therefore be thankful for the dings. Calling the mystery metric "personality," however, is overly generous. It's more like "anti-personality" or "sliminess."

wat

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 am

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's an element of truth to this, but having done my fair share of hiring, firing, and being hired, the "biglaw" hiring model can seem especially capricious. But the "I'm an asshole./I'm not an asshole!" doublespeak the big firms are looking for (often subconsciously) is actually a key job skill and people who don't have it would probably hate the jobs, and should therefore be thankful for the dings. Calling the mystery metric "personality," however, is overly generous. It's more like "anti-personality" or "sliminess."

wat

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 am

rad lulz wrote:
bk1 wrote:

wat

This makes absolutely no sense.
Don't try to be fake in interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”