(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Just how bad is Quinn?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 am

How hard does QE work SAs? Does the firm wine and dine them as much? I had a friend who told me he worked midnights as an SA. I thought he was bullshitting me and trying to make his time harder than it really was. Anyone have a similar experience to his?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:How hard does QE work SAs? Does the firm wine and dine them as much? I had a friend who told me he worked midnights as an SA. I thought he was bullshitting me and trying to make his time harder than it really was. Anyone have a similar experience to his?

It's all about cutting costs with Quinn so they're not wining and dining you because that's not their philosophy at all. During my interview, two of my interviewers also mentioned that the summer program is no joke and they frequently worked really late nights on projects that they did. One said that he came back from the hike, was sore and tired as fuck, and still had to work a lot of hours the next day.

All that said, they still all raved about the kind of work they got to do (depos, briefs, etc.), how hands-off everyone is with respect to face-time requirements, and that all people care about is the amount and quality of your work, not other bs things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How hard does QE work SAs? Does the firm wine and dine them as much? I had a friend who told me he worked midnights as an SA. I thought he was bullshitting me and trying to make his time harder than it really was. Anyone have a similar experience to his?

It's all about cutting costs with Quinn so they're not wining and dining you because that's not their philosophy at all. During my interview, two of my interviewers also mentioned that the summer program is no joke and they frequently worked really late nights on projects that they did. One said that he came back from the hike, was sore and tired as fuck, and still had to work a lot of hours the next day.

All that said, they still all raved about the kind of work they got to do (depos, briefs, etc.), how hands-off everyone is with respect to face-time requirements, and that all people care about is the amount and quality of your work, not other bs things.

Person who wrote the anon post you responded to.

Ah, thanks. That's very interesting. Seems like you will either hate that style or love it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:00 am

does anybody know what bonuses are like at quinn? i have an offer there i'm strongly considering accepting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:does anybody know what bonuses are like at quinn? i have an offer there i'm strongly considering accepting.

bonuses typically beat market, but not by much. eg market might be 10k for your class year, quinn pays 12k-15k. also depends on hours; there are charts online, eg http://abovethelaw.com/2010/12/associat ... e-catches/

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anybody know what bonuses are like at quinn? i have an offer there i'm strongly considering accepting.

bonuses typically beat market, but not by much. eg market might be 10k for your class year, quinn pays 12k-15k. also depends on hours; there are charts online, eg http://abovethelaw.com/2010/12/associat ... e-catches/

The bonus they give to high billers is almost insulting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 pm

I was a SA at Quinn this past summer (one of the California offices, offer received and accepted) and I have to say that a lot of the info here is either off, or is being interpreted oddly (explained below).

First, some of this comment doesn't make sense:

Anonymous User wrote:It's all about cutting costs with Quinn so they're not wining and dining you because that's not their philosophy at all. During my interview, two of my interviewers also mentioned that the summer program is no joke and they frequently worked really late nights on projects that they did. One said that he came back from the hike, was sore and tired as fuck, and still had to work a lot of hours the next day.

The comment mentions the firm hike, which involved flying all of the summers to Las Vegas, going on the hike, then being put up in the Wynn, eating at a steakhouse that the firm bought out for the evening, and the firm also got a VIP package at one of the hotel's clubs. But then the post claims there's no "wining and dining"...huh?

There absolutely are summer events, just like other firms, and you definitely get taken out to eat all the time (probably every day). Claims to the contrary are just false.

That said, the comment IS spot-on about the kind of work you do over the summer. There are late nights (and even one or two all nighters), but that's mostly because they don't want to hide what working there really looks like. It's true that this might not be for everyone, but that's the reality of early responsibility.

I'm also a little confused by comments like this:
Fresh Prince wrote:The bonus they give to high billers is almost insulting.

How is a market-beating bonus that scales with hours worked "insulting" when the majority of vault firms (including v10s!) are paying flat market that doesn't scale at all?

Could the firm pay a lot more given their PPP? Sure. But the only two firms actually paying better bonuses are Boies and WLRK, which suggests that words like "insulting" aren' t really correct here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The comment mentions the firm hike, which involved flying all of the summers to Las Vegas, going on the hike, then being put up in the Wynn, eating at a steakhouse that the firm bought out for the evening, and the firm also got a VIP package at one of the hotel's clubs. But then the post claims there's no "wining and dining"...huh?

It's relative. Other firms allow you to go on lunches for up to $80/pp how many ever times you want in the summer with any attorney you want from the firm, rent out a nightclub with a huge budget for the night, etc.

Also, let's not act like the "hike" is something that all summers can do. Per the people I spoke with at Quinn, many summers decided not to do it because how strenuous it is. An associate I spoke with claimed that there was no way he would ever do it. To claim that a really difficult hike where everyone afterwards was so tired that they didn't want to party in Vegas but rather just wanted to home is equivalent to what we think of as "wining and dining" is silly.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:19 pm

How is a market-beating bonus that scales with hours worked "insulting" when the majority of vault firms (including v10s!) are paying flat market that doesn't scale at all?

Could the firm pay a lot more given their PPP? Sure. But the only two firms actually paying better bonuses are Boies and WLRK, which suggests that words like "insulting" aren' t really correct here.

I think you're spinning the situation a little pro-Quinn here. Just take a breather, get off your knees and wipe the white stuff off your lips. We all know that Quinn pays a higher bonus that a lot of other firms, but the problem is that the bonus should be a lot higher when you're billing 2,700+ hours. When you bill as many hours, you will feel the same way. If you don't think so, it's either because (a) you haven't billed that many hours or (b) you are so devoid of self-respect that you're willing to be worked to the bone for a marginally higher reward.

And no, there are still a few other firms that pay better bonuses, and at lower hours.

I don't care that Quinn is "beating" firms like Cravath, S&C, DPW, etc. It doesn't make the bonus any less insulting. And at a lot of "lockstep firms" (though maybe note the ones listed above), you can bill a lot less than 2,300 hours and still get a market bonus. Nevertheless, it is indeed an insult to bill 2,700 at S&C and just score "market" too, so I'm not necessarily singling out Quinn here.

And since we're on the topic of PPP, Quinn has one comparable than WLRK, but pays out a bonus that is substantially lower. You acknowledge that Quinn can pay a lot more given its PPP, but are still willing to accept substantially less.

You were just a summer associate. This shit will click when that bonus comes around later, and then you'll finally understand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

I think you're spinning the situation a little pro-Quinn here. Just take a breather, get off your knees and wipe the white stuff off your lips. We all know that Quinn pays a higher bonus that a lot of other firms, but the problem is that the bonus should be a lot higher when you're billing 2,700+ hours. When you bill as many hours, you will feel the same way. If you don't think so, it's either because (a) you haven't billed that many hours or (b) you are so devoid of self-respect that you're willing to be worked to the bone for a marginally higher reward.

And no, there are still a few other firms that pay better bonuses, and at lower hours.

I don't care that Quinn is "beating" firms like Cravath, S&C, DPW, etc. It doesn't make the bonus any less insulting. And at a lot of "lockstep firms" (though maybe note the ones listed above), you can bill a lot less than 2,300 hours and still get a market bonus. Nevertheless, it is indeed an insult to bill 2,700 at S&C and just score "market" too, so I'm not necessarily singling out Quinn here.

And since we're on the topic of PPP, Quinn has one comparable than WLRK, but pays out a bonus that is substantially lower. You acknowledge that Quinn can pay a lot more given its PPP, but are still willing to accept substantially less.

You were just a summer associate. This shit will click when that bonus comes around later, and then you'll finally understand.
I feel like never billing 2,700 hrs is probably TCR.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like never billing 2,700 hrs is probably TCR.

May well be true, but it's not always up to the associate how many hours to bill. You've got some control on the margins and it can depend on the firm, but a lot is out of your hands.

Return to “Legal Employment”