Was this a callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Was this a callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:11 pm

I was invited to interview with a firm I mass mailed. After I met with the partner who handles the summer program, she said shed like me to meet with another partner (managing). I met with him and he walked me out after. I asked what the timeline was and he said they have callbacks next week and ill hear something within two weeks. Was this an insta-callback thing? I liked the firm a lot, so would it be weird if I sent them an email thanking them and saying that if an offer is extended I will accept?

Danger Zone

Re: Was this a callback?

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 pm

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Danger Zone wrote:No.

Sigh. I didn't mean to double post (on my phone on the train home). Anyways I'm going with your "yes" response because I like it better ;)

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Go ahead and send a thank you. Don't say you will accept if offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Go ahead and send a thank you. Don't say you will accept if offered.

Any reason why not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:Go ahead and send a thank you. Don't say you will accept if offered.

Any reason why not?

It smacks of desperation. Being flexible and eager is good. Being desperate is not. Nobody wants someone who is desperate; this is applicable to all areas of life.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Any reason why not?

It sounds desperate and, IMHO, shows poor judgment. Your are engaged in a bit of theater. Both you and the firm are pretending that this is a long-term decision. Blindly accepting without either weighing other options or inquiring about the terms suggests you aren't really taking the process seriously (or you are desperate and have nothing else).

Return to “Legal Employment”