Departments at Skadden NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Departments at Skadden NY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Can anyone speak to the likelihood of being placed into a first-choice smaller group at Skadden NYC as a full-time associate after the summer? Ideally, I would want to start in one of the smaller departments (i.e., labor and employment, trusts and estates, IP transactional), but I'm wondering how often people get placed into their second choice if their second choice is a much larger department (general lit or corporate).

Does it entirely depend on how popular the group is/who needs what year to year?

Anonymous User

Re: Departments at Skadden NY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

worked at 2 vault 20s (not skadden though) and tried to get placed into a smaller group there - was successful at one of the firms. the processes were pretty similar - assume it would be so for skadden as well. with the smaller groups you really have to hustle, and a lot of it is out of yout control. reach out to the people in the group - partners and associates. express interest in their work. make sure to absolutely kill whatever work they give you. follow-up with them. show them you are really committed to their group and wont bail and request to go to corporate within a year of joining. IF there is room in the group they will take you. a lot of time they will like you, but the groups billables just wont be high enough to justify taking an extra person i would say its easier to get the offer from a small group as a summer than as a 1st year generalist trying to transition in. so try your best to get to know everyone in the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Skadden claims that they make their best effort to give new associates at least their first preference and, in my experience, they did. I was hired a while back during 3L OCI when the firm was looking to fill spots in specific practice areas. Despite the limited selection of practice areas, the firm let me do one of my two rotations (new associates rotate through two practice areas) in a completely different practice area that I was much more interested in. There are no guarantees, but the firm genuinely wants to make sure associates are in a practice area they are happy with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”