Weil Culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil Culture

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Anyone have the inside scoop on Weil NYC? Vault and Chambers paint a pretty rosy picture. Anyone want to play devil's advocate?

RedLightGreenLight

Re: Weil Culture

Postby RedLightGreenLight » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:13 pm

its a sweatshop

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm

watching this. I have a CB there next week. Didnt they lay people off earlier this summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:watching this. I have a CB there next week. Didnt they lay people off earlier this summer?

Not in the NY office.

I really like their no debt model, I DON'T like that they have non-equity partners and enormous leverage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm

RedLightGreenLight wrote:its a sweatshop

can you elaborate? thanks

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Pretty sure layoffs also happened in the NY office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 pm

They definitely laid people off in NYC. According to associates still there, those people frequently skipped work and should have seen it coming. Take that for whatever it is worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They definitely laid people off in NYC. According to associates still there, those people frequently skipped work and should have seen it coming. Take that for whatever it is worth.

What do you mean by "frequently skipped work"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Attorneys laid off in the NYC office this summer. However, it was those who were mid-level and not on partner track who should have pursued other options by the time they were laid off (in typical cyclical NYC firm turn around fashion) or they were under-performing by a good bit. I definitely agree with the above post. Keep in mind the firm didnt layoff during the recession when all other firms did. Seems like it was a they were way late to the party situation.

The culture at the firm is great. The recruiting staff is totally awesome and so are the people at the firm. Summer program is full of events, and beware Weil is for sure a healthy party/social firm so if that's not your thing, think twice.

Were about 60 summers in this years class, and all of them were given offers on the second to last day of the program. If you can't tell, I summered there.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm

This is probably the least helpful comment imaginable. Every big law firm, particularly in NYC, demands crazy hours. If you want to start your career at a top reputation firm in NYC, and reap the career benefits that come with it, you will be working insane hours. And if it's Wachtell, you work even more (and get compensated for such)

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 pm

and reap the career benefits that come with it

Debatable.

RedLightGreenLight

Postby RedLightGreenLight » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

This is probably the least helpful comment imaginable. Every big law firm, particularly in NYC, demands crazy hours. If you want to start your career at a top reputation firm in NYC, and reap the career benefits that come with it, you will be working insane hours. And if it's Wachtell, you work even more (and get compensated for such)

pretty sure he said play devil's advocate? im saying any rosy picture should be tempered by the hour demands of a V10 firm. so, as i said, keep in mind the hours will be very very demanding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:06 am

no it's not

Return to “Legal Employment”