ID to Commercial/business Lit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ID to Commercial/business Lit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 pm

I am a 2013 graduate of a well respected t-1 law school (top school in my state). I graduated in the top 15-25% of my class. I have experience in biz transactions and biz/commercial lit. However, I recently accepted a position with an ID firm. Some of my cases are business/commerical lit cases, but most are PI. Also some of my cases are insurance coverage cases. It seems like I am getting a great experience and early exposure to things like depositions, motion hearings, etc.

With that said, if I do ID work for a year or less am I screwed when it comes to moving to a mid/big law firm doing commercial/business lit? Should I try to get out as early as possible? Is there a point of no return? For example, if you spend your first 3 years in ID are you stuck with ID, whereas if you limit it to your first year you are fine? I am just trying to get a sense of how hard I should be pushing to get out, or if its too late already.

I should also mention that I applied to a fed clerkship for the 14-15 term that I think I may have a shot at getting (for a variety of reasons I won't elaborate on). If a year or more in ID would tarnish my career, would a fed clerkship salvage it?

If anyone has any experience jumping from ID to commercial/biz lit at a mid/big law firm please share your story and advice.

Anonymous User

Re: ID to Commercial/business Lit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

bump

Return to “Legal Employment”