Still waiting for reimbursement...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still waiting for reimbursement...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 am

So, I got an offer from my no. 1 or no. 2 firm this Friday. I flew to interview with a firm that I didn't rank as high earlier in the week. The reimbursement hasn't come through.

I feel like the morally right thing to do is tell low-rank firm immediately that they should stop considering me for a summer position. However, I really need the reimbursement, and the recruiter had me email the documents for the reimbursement to be forwarded on to their money-people. So the person I'd be contacting to tell them I'm not interested anymore is probably the same person who has control of my reimbursement.

I'm conflicted about whether I should send the email before I've gotten the check. I know it shouldn't change my reimbursement, but is there a chance it could leave me holding >500 in bills?

bk1

Re: Still waiting for reimbursement...

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:38 am

Firms are slow on reimbursements. They aren't going to stiff you because you turned them down.

aces

Postby aces » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 am

The firm is not going to stiff you, so there's no reason to delay letting them know that they're no longer in the running.

Plus, recruiting has a million things going on this time of year and reimbursements are generally low on their list of priorities. You probably won't get your check in the mail for another week or two at least, and I had to wait a month+ for a few firms when I was going through OCI. If you're insistent on waiting for the check to arrive first, you might be waiting a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks, this makes me feel better about emailing them tonight.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 am

bk1 wrote:Firms are slow on reimbursements. They aren't going to stiff you because you turned them down.

I didn't submit a reimbursement form for like 4 months, well after I accepted a different offer and well past the "due date." Still got reimbursed.

Return to “Legal Employment”