Shearman & Sterling?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shearman & Sterling?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I have a callback with S&S this week, and am wondering if anybody has any intel on why they dropped in the vault rankings (from #23 to #27), and more specifically, the "International" rankings from #3 to #11?

Of course I am not going to be making my decisions based solely on Vault rankings, and from what I understand they are mostly a sham (a la US News). These two caveats notwithstanding, perception is reality and Vault drives a lot of perception (at least for inexperienced law students).

rad lulz

Re: Shearman & Sterling?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback with S&S this week, and am wondering if anybody has any intel on why they dropped in the vault rankings (from #23 to #27), and more specifically, the "International" rankings from #3 to #11?

Of course I am not going to be making my decisions based solely on Vault rankings, and from what I understand they are mostly a sham (a la US News). These two caveats notwithstanding, perception is reality and Vault drives a lot of perception (at least for inexperienced law students).

"I know Vault rankings are a sham, but I am REALLY putting some stock in the Vault rankings"

p1arnold

Postby p1arnold » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback with S&S this week, and am wondering if anybody has any intel on why they dropped in the vault rankings (from #23 to #27), and more specifically, the "International" rankings from #3 to #11?

Because they honestly aren't doing too well right now. New leadership is trying to improve the place though: http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArticl ... 0725195139

onehellofaride

Postby onehellofaride » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for the link to that article. Really interesting that they committed to partnership promotions even through the recession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Shearman summer here. Re: Vault international rankings, the firm placed #4 on this year's Law360 Global 20 list, which focuses on more substantive criteria than on just what other law firm associates think: http://www.law360.com/articles/460278/g ... n-sterling

Won't deny that the firm had a tough time during the recession. But have heard informally that revenue is up substantially this year compared to last year; and the summer class sizes have been increasing steadily (including this summer) - take from that what you will. Will remain to be seen if the firm can keep it up.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Another Shearman NY summer here.

It is undeniable that Shearman is no longer a top 5 powerhouse like it was in the 80's and earlier when it was the largest firm in NY. However, the firm has been making major strides in the last 18 months and they are definitely turning things around.

If you have an interest in latin america - specifically capital markets, project finance, and a few others, Shearman is pretty much unbeatable.

Looking at it objectively, it is a highly respected firm with 20 offices world-wide, a long and prestigious history, great clients, a really amazing culture, and generally happy people. Vault rankings can only take you so far. Shearman is a great firm that will open many doors for you in the future. It's a firm that is truly investing in the future, is truly international, and is, in my opinion, a really amazing place. All things considered, I think it is definitely a top 20 firm and it is only going up from here. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Any intel on their SF office? Culture/happiness, quality of the work, integration with the rest of the firm? It's a smaller office so things may be different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 pm

OP here. Got the offer today. Very excited and definitely leaning Shearman. Could any of the current summers or associates post non-anonymously so I can PM you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Got the offer today. Very excited and definitely leaning Shearman. Could any of the current summers or associates post non-anonymously so I can PM you?

Did you happen to do the interviews last night? If so, when today did you hear back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am

Interviewed first thing yesterday morning, not last night.

YOLOcontendere

Postby YOLOcontendere » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Got the offer today. Very excited and definitely leaning Shearman. Could any of the current summers or associates post non-anonymously so I can PM you?

First Shearman summer here - feel free to PM me.

Return to “Legal Employment”