Den of Silence 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Den of Silence 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Post-screener crickets is easily the worst thing I've experienced in law school so far. I thought a thread where everyone hearing nothing but silence could commiserate would be a helpful stress reliever.

19 screeners so far (11 from OCI last week, 8 from job fair almost a month ago) and have only heard from three firms (all from job fair; all dings).

It could be that I'm the worst interviewer ever, but I'm hopeful it's just that I'm in a secondary market that moves slowly.

Cyne

Re: Den of Silence 2013

Postby Cyne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 pm

You mass mailing yet?

Also start looking into other markets. It ain't over yet. I know people who lined SAs out in November. But right now you can safely say to hell with classes and make job hunting your #1 priority.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:42 pm

I feel ya. 18 screeners from OCI - 6 dings and silence from the rest. Thought I was a good interviewer and did really well in the mock interview, but beginning to think something is up. Been mass mailing with some success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel ya. 18 screeners from OCI - 6 dings and silence from the rest. Thought I was a good interviewer and did really well in the mock interview, but beginning to think something is up. Been mass mailing with some success.

All of this, minus the mass mailing success :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel ya. 18 screeners from OCI - 6 dings and silence from the rest. Thought I was a good interviewer and did really well in the mock interview, but beginning to think something is up. Been mass mailing with some success.

All of this, minus the mass mailing success :/

Same here. I've heard back from more firms from mass mailing than I expected but no interviews (yet? hopefully!).

Like OP, I'm hoping it's because I'm in a market that moves more slowly, but I don't think that's it since others have heard. I've done multiple mock interviews that went well, but I'm starting to think something is up (or that I'm one of those people who are on the line and just didn't wow... or that they included me even though my GPA isn't high enough). =/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:36 pm

My candid advice is that if you haven't heard within a few days while others have, you are pretty much SOL for those jerbs. I am in a similar position, thought I absolutely killed some interviews and friends have told me they have received CBs already from those firms. Its a pretty shitty feeling but such is the grind of OCI I suppose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I heard from a 3L that she didn't hear anything for about a month, then got CB & Offer. She thinks the firm probably didn't get enough bites, so they went to the reserve pile

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

If you do not hear within 3 days consider it a ding and move on. The worst thing you can do is wait around hoping instead of acting. There's still plenty of time for a successful mass-mailing campaign. I should know, this is around when I had to do mine last year. Maybe they get back to you in a week or two with a CB. That'd be great. But even so having more interviews can only benefit you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:27 pm

If I wanted to start a MM campaign for NY and most of the firms came to my school's OCI but I didn't meet with them because I had didn't bid NY, do I have to address why I'm just now sending my materials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I wanted to start a MM campaign for NY and most of the firms came to my school's OCI but I didn't meet with them because I had didn't bid NY, do I have to address why I'm just now sending my materials?

In a similar situation. My school was pure lottery and career services said for firms you didn't get a chance to interview with to just throw a line in your cover letter explaining that you bid on them but didn't get it. Of course, the employers also got a list of students who bid on them (just not how high). For firms I didn't even bid I'm just totally ignoring it for MM and will have to come up with some reason if they happen to give me an interview....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you do not hear within 3 days consider it a ding and move on. The worst thing you can do is wait around hoping instead of acting. There's still plenty of time for a successful mass-mailing campaign. I should know, this is around when I had to do mine last year. Maybe they get back to you in a week or two with a CB. That'd be great. But even so having more interviews can only benefit you.

I don't think any of us aren't agreeing (or mass mailing). The point of this thread seems to me to be more of a commiseration/cheering each other along through the mass mailing and all. I'm one of the above posters and I have a lot of outstanding ones that I'm guessing I am in the maybe pile for since I haven't heard anything. For a couple, they supposedly don't meet yet and so aren't supposed to get back for a bit. Still, I try to stop worrying about it after the interview (only one left) and move on to other applications, mostly mass mailing (and checking symplicity/resume collections for new posts).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I wanted to start a MM campaign for NY and most of the firms came to my school's OCI but I didn't meet with them because I had didn't bid NY, do I have to address why I'm just now sending my materials?

In a similar situation. My school was pure lottery and career services said for firms you didn't get a chance to interview with to just throw a line in your cover letter explaining that you bid on them but didn't get it. Of course, the employers also got a list of students who bid on them (just not how high). For firms I didn't even bid I'm just totally ignoring it for MM and will have to come up with some reason if they happen to give me an interview....

I just didn't mention OCI in those cover letters. My school is only a small part lottery, so not interviewing with them through OCI means that: I didn't apply through OCI or they didn't like me enough for an interview and I didn't bid them highly enough to get them through lottery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:12 pm

OP here. I'm feeling better already just knowing there are others in the same boat. I've got 3 more screeners coming up from OCI, so that's encouraging. I know for a fact that 5 of the firms don't make CB offers until they've finished visiting all campuses. They haven't given any CBs to any classmates.

I think at the end of this someone should get the worst interviewer award, with the goal being for everyone not to win it. That means MMing our asses off, scheduling informational interviews, etc.

It only takes one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm probably around top 20% at MVPB and had 18 screeners a week ago with 5 dings and the rest silence. Pretty normal guy, generally pretty popular (outside of interviews, I guess) and felt like I was clicking with my interviewers so idk what happened.

I'm mass mailing now and was wondering what people thought about mass mailing large NYC offices of firms' whose satellite offices (e.g. Weil) rejected my previous mass mailing. Or NYC offices of national firms that rejected me from screeners for other offices (e.g. Latham)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Count me in.

I had 18 screeners at OCI at a T20 and have gotten dings from exactly half. Haven't started mass mailing because I got horribly sick the weeks following OCI (and could barely look at a computer without being nauseous), so will start that now.

I'm so confused as to whether the other half of the firms haven't met yet, I'm in a maybe pile, or they're sadistically holding me out on my no's for shits and giggles.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Silence is the norm from screeners that are non-interested. Treat them all like dings. Last year I got dings in October via snail mail from screener interviews I did in early August. All of my CBs came within two weeks of the original screener.
Last edited by RELIC on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Firms aren't in a hurry to send you rejection letters. They'll come eventually.

Return to “Legal Employment”