Crowley Fleck

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crowley Fleck

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Is there any info on this firm? I've scoured this forum as well as the Googles, but no luck. Nothing on Vault or anywhere else. Please share any info you may have.

Anonymous User

Re: Crowley Fleck

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:06 pm

3 year bump. Anyone have any information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:48 pm

I don't know much about working at the firm, culture, lifestyle, pay, ect. But they are probably the most well known firm in Montana. Your work life balance has great potential in Montana. Skiing, fly fishing, mountain biking, hiking, hunting, ect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 am

Crowley is both the largest and largest indigenous firm in Montana. The firm also maintains offices (I believe) in Wyoming and Idaho, and tries to "own" the narrower subset of the Intermountain West that might otherwise be the territory of, say, Holland & Hart. Crowley's Billings office is its largest, and the most likely destination for young associates. In Montana, Billings is the industrial hub but considered a less glamorous city than Bozeman or Missoul, where many Montana students at one point studied. As a result, I think competition can be stiffer for slots in the firms offices in Bozeman and Missoula.

Crowley is considered a "get" for students at, at least, law schools in Wyoming and Montana. I believe that the firm starts associates at about $60,000/year and does not initially require that associates specialize in corporate or litigation. I do not know whether the firm pays a year-end bonus or maintains a firm billable a target, but I believe Crowley's soft target hovers around 1700-1900. I believe that partner compensation averages between $100k and $200k, but I have less confidence in that number. Bear in mind, very few lawyers in Montana/Wyoming make such a sum.

Crowley's work is representative of what you might expect for a large law firm in the Intermountain West: a mix of insurance defense, local counsel representations and much (at least until the recent slowdown) oil and gas work.

Generally, I'm led to understand that the work/life balance is favorable.

If you're considering Crowley, you might also look at Moulton Bellingham, a Billings firm, or at the Billings office of Holland & Hart. I believe Hall & Evans may also have an office in Billings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the info. $60k seems pretty low for a firm with around 160 attorneys (granted they are spread out among 11 different offices). I expected the salary to be higher--possibly matching what Holland and Hart would pay at their Billings office (which is probably around $80k?). I know that their associates are required to bill 1700, with 50 of those counting towards pro-bono work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 pm

I found the answer to my question and here it is to future lurkers:

Starting salary is around $65k and steadily *slowly* increases to around $94 by year 6.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Although the salary may seem low at first blush, remember you would be living in Montana. Low
cost of living, decent taxes.

Do a google search of comparable homes for sale or places to rent in Billings versus some other area.

Return to “Legal Employment”