Real Life $hitLawyer Taking ?s

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Real Life $hitLawyer Taking ?s

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 am

What does your real estate practice entail? Is it just closings, or is there some negotiation or fun stuff involved?

How "hard" is it to learn personal injury? Do you think you could hang a shingle and do it yourself in the near future? I ask because it's something I have an interest in after a few years of biglaw. Yes, seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:54 am

I'm regard to law and your job, what are your greatest concerns? Do you feel like you, as an attorney, are a number in a game--replaceable?

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 am

Mr. T6 wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:Can I ask you a bit more about how you wound up in your job? So you're median a (T25?)...then what? You strike out at OCI, then were you just desperate for anything come 3L? Did you have any interest in the that area of the law before, even if that just means civil litigation in general? How did pick this firm? Did you apply like mad and this is what came through? Did you know someone at the firm through friends and family? Networking? Is the job at home or where you went to LS?

Reading through the above it sounds a snobby and I didn't mean to be. I just would like to know not how you didn't wind up a dreamjob X (which is a familiar story to most of us) but how and why you wound up at this firm doing PI in that market.

No, I went to a T6. I did not strike out at OCI; I had a summer position that didn't pan out. As a 3L, I interned for a solo and thought I'd enjoy his line of work, so I applied to a lot of small firms. I did not pick this firm; it picked me. But I have had other offers since joining my firm that I've declined, like from an immigration firm. I have no interest in immigration, which some people love but which strikes me as kind of bland.

The job is where I went to LS. I am stuck here because of a SO.

Tell me more about this immigration firm. . . are they still looking for people? I find it difficult to find jobs posted in immigration. . .which is my first choice. . .

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does your real estate practice entail? Is it just closings, or is there some negotiation or fun stuff involved?

How "hard" is it to learn personal injury? Do you think you could hang a shingle and do it yourself in the near future? I ask because it's something I have an interest in after a few years of biglaw. Yes, seriously.

I don't do real estate. I'm not sure where you got that impression.

Most of my friends do Biglaw, so I am not surprised to find people wanting to bail. A good friend does nothing but privilege logs. A big paycheck only takes you so far if you are learning absolutely nothing.

To hang a shingle, you need clients and cashflow. Both are very learned skills. Biglaw will absolutely not teach you how to get Sally Slip and Fall into your firm. Why should she go to you and not BigBillboard Lawyer whose office handles hundreds of premise liability cases a year? And even if you do snag her, it can be 2-3 years before you try her case. How will you keep the lights on in the meantime?

As for law, PI is a very diverse and complicated practice. Off-hand, you'll need to teach yourself:

1) Medicare/Medicaid/Private Insurance/Medical Provider liens
2) Collection law (whether an entity is solvent and how to go about collecting)
3) Insurance law (CGL, renter's, auto insurance, et al)
4) Your state's vehicle code
5) Basically all tort law (negligence, strict liability, damages concepts, duties owed by common carrier, relevant statutes)
6) How to properly investigate and work up cases
7) Lots of medical terms and concepts
8) How to try cases
9) Worker's Comp, SSA

This is to say nothing of small things, like how to interpret a police report and whether it is admissible. Or what an "empty chair" defense entails. Is hanging a shingle doable? Yes. But would it be easier to learn under someone else for 3-5 years? Absolutely.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm regard to law and your job, what are your greatest concerns? Do you feel like you, as an attorney, are a number in a game--replaceable?

We're all fungible, except for lawyers that can bring in clients. This is a business.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:Can I ask you a bit more about how you wound up in your job? So you're median a (T25?)...then what? You strike out at OCI, then were you just desperate for anything come 3L? Did you have any interest in the that area of the law before, even if that just means civil litigation in general? How did pick this firm? Did you apply like mad and this is what came through? Did you know someone at the firm through friends and family? Networking? Is the job at home or where you went to LS?

Reading through the above it sounds a snobby and I didn't mean to be. I just would like to know not how you didn't wind up a dreamjob X (which is a familiar story to most of us) but how and why you wound up at this firm doing PI in that market.

No, I went to a T6. I did not strike out at OCI; I had a summer position that didn't pan out. As a 3L, I interned for a solo and thought I'd enjoy his line of work, so I applied to a lot of small firms. I did not pick this firm; it picked me. But I have had other offers since joining my firm that I've declined, like from an immigration firm. I have no interest in immigration, which some people love but which strikes me as kind of bland.

The job is where I went to LS. I am stuck here because of a SO.

Tell me more about this immigration firm. . . are they still looking for people? I find it difficult to find jobs posted in immigration. . .which is my first choice. . .

I speak another language fluently as a native speaker, hence the interest. Send a cover letter outlining your interest and your other language. Discuss how you can bring in clients by advertising/knowing that community well. Someone should give you a call.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:33 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
Mr. T6 wrote:2) Go to a more rural part of the country. Lawyers are needed in rural areas, not NYC, DC, Chicago, Houston.

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but where are the jobs in the rural parts? From my experience, these smaller markets don't just hire random people not from there.

Furthermore, rural markets already have established lawyers.

Established, but not always skillful. Still, it's easier said than done to usurp the market niche of a 55-year-old incompetent asshole who is known around the entire town as the go-to guy for real estate, trusts, wills, DUIs and fender benders. Your face hasn't been on the back of the phone book for the last two decades.

A lot of these older lawyers don't actually want to do the work. Speak with him/her and get referrals.

As a general rule, rural markets do need fresh blood. How to go about breaking into there? Well, that's the million dollar question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 am

Are you happy at your job? Why or why not?
Let it out my dude. Let it out.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 am

If you do everything right, how much money could you make in the next three years, max?

Return to “Legal Employment”