Explaining B Grade in Ethics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Explaining B Grade in Ethics

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:55 pm

To give a little background: I am a part-time evening student at a top 50 law school. I just completed my first year with relatively decent success -- I wrote on to the flagship journal, I am on the moot court team, and I finished the first two semesters in the top 10%.

As a requirement to graduate on time, part-time students must take classes over one summer. I took two courses this summer, Ethics for 2 Credits and a condensed 3 credit doctrinal (we covered 28 classes worth of material in just 8 classes. Very intense.). Additionally, I managed a full-time job and drafting a law review comment over the summer. I received an A- in the three credit doctrinal but unfortunately I received a B in Ethics. I am very surprised, bummed, and upset with myself for letting this happen. I am reaching out to the professor, but after talking with other students I think I identified my potentially poor performance on a multiple choice portion of the exam. My near 3.7 gpa dropped to a 3.6. Though I finished 1L year in the top 10%, I would likely rank in the top 20% if the rankings were drawn again today.

How badly will this hurt my employment prospects? Legal ethics is a very basic course, and I honestly think I did poorly because I neglected to focus on it. I plan to apply to mid-sized firms for this summer, and depending on how I perform this coming year I hoped to do OCI and see where I can land in a bigger law-firm setting for summer 2015. Is this a recoverable fumble? Is it worth explaining the intense summer to an employer? Personally, I don't like such excuses that "I had too much going on." I am adult, I should manage my workload professionally. Am I wrong to think this? What strategies should I use to address this in interviews if it comes up?

Any non-troll advice is appreciated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Explaining B Grade in Ethics

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Non-Troll Advice: the drop in your GPA will hurt you, but having a singular bad grade in Ethics will not. If it was a class that was specific to a practice area you were applying for, or something like Writing, then maybe. I would be shocked if it was a huge deal.

Troll Advice: apply to plaintiff firms. The low grade in ethics will be a good thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”