Asking about salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking about salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:19 pm

I've had the CB, and gotten the offer (for SA next year).

Most firms in this market give a bump to 160 for IP, this firm doesn't list anything about that on its NALP page, appropriate to ask?

Anonymous User

Re: Asking about salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Of course. Anyone would want to know what they're working for. However, when the acknowledgment of my offer acceptance came in the mail it listed the likely weekly pay with the caveat that it could change because it'll be finalized in the spring.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Ummm, yeah. Come on mannn. You took contracts. You got the offer, now let's see the terms before we agree on the bargain. Still would be good to be tactile about it. Maybe ask if you could get a memorandum of the offer with the the basics such as: pay, employment agreement, etc.

The market isn't so bad that they can just give you a "take it or leave it."

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Vault usually has more specific salary info than NALP.

Seattlecourt

Postby Seattlecourt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:05 am

deleted

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 am

It is odd that they did not mention salary. You might also want to check on the number of SA weeks. Not every firm is in lockstep with 10 weeks ― my firm went 12 weeks (the extra $6K came in handy) and some are notably longer.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Ummm, yeah. Come on mannn. You took contracts. You got the offer, now let's see the terms before we agree on the bargain. Still would be good to be tactile about it. Maybe ask if you could get a memorandum of the offer with the the basics such as: pay, employment agreement, etc.

The market isn't so bad that they can just give you a "take it or leave it."

There is no contract for the candidate to accept. It's at-will employment.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 am

Before accepting any job offer in life, you have to know the salary. I don't understand why this idea is complicated.

Yes, obviously don't ask before you have an offer. But you have an offer, and are contemplating accepting it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Before accepting any job offer in life, you have to know the salary. I don't understand why this idea is complicated.

Yes, obviously don't ask before you have an offer. But you have an offer, and are contemplating accepting it.

No, not the summer salary. The post-grad first year assoc salary.

My 1L year I made $2600/wk (~$135kyr) however they start their IP people at $160k (so summer salary isn't really a predictor)

Return to “Legal Employment”