Minneapolis law firms, OCI Screener to Callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minneapolis law firms, OCI Screener to Callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Do any TLS posters have any experience with Minneapolis law firms?

I finished my first round OCI screeners this week, and I am wondering how long it takes for Minneapolis law firms to inform you on whether you've been selected for a callback.

Just hoping to get a sense on the norm for Minneapolis law firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis law firms, OCI Screener to Callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm

SA in a Minneapolis firm last summer, I think Minneapolis firms tend to run on a later schedule than most of the bigger coastal firms. Because of the smaller class sizes, the process gets drawn out longer. At some of the firms it isn't unheard of for CBs and offers to extend into October, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a couple of weeks to get back to you once they get a feel for the entire candidate pool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 pm

OP here.

Thank you so much!

I've been hearing that some of my class mates have received callbacks. But it's a pretty small amount compared to all of the candidates who interviewed.

But I am still feeling quite anxious.

The main reason is because I am not familiar with how Minneapolis law firms operate. I've heard that some in NY receive same day callbacks. Or, they hear within 2-3 days of their screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 am

non oci screener with a minny firm last Wednesday, the 14th. cb on Thursday the 22nd. also fwiw I was told by the recruiter that the main batch of cb's for this firm were being scheduled Sept. 2 through the 13th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:56 pm

^ Would you mind sharing which firm?

I also just wrapped OCI screeners this week for Minneapolis law firms. Some firms said they'd start getting back to people within 1-2 weeks for callbacks.

Other firms did not mention anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I would also like to know if it isn't too much to ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Also interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:12 am

I had a callback with one of the two big Minneapolis firms last week. They said they would begin making offers sometime after Labor Day. I have a screening interview with the other firm coming up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Has anyone had a cb with Fredrikson? And if so, how long after the screener interview did you hear about a cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Callbacks with Dorsey, Faegre, Robins scheduled/recently completed. Not from Minneapolis (fiancé's family is which is why we want to settle there) so not sure how to rank the three. I want to do litigation, but no specific specialty. Concerned with exit options, especially into gov't (US attorney office, etc) and quality of life while I'm there. How is life at Faegre post-merger? I've heard Dorsey lit associates are often overworked and sometimes screamed at, but not sure if that's to be expected anywhere. Any advice would be appreciated.

phantomoca

Postby phantomoca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callbacks with Dorsey, Faegre, Robins scheduled/recently completed...I want to do litigation, but no specific specialty.

Dorsey has the best reputation in the Twin Cities, Faegre is the biggest, and Robins is ALL litigation. I would caution that partner tracks in all three have increased significantly in the last few years, particularly at Robins which is very associate-heavy. Overall though, all great firms, good reputations in TC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

I spent my summer in the twin cities as well this summer. Faegre is the largest firm, and enjoys the best 'name reputation' these days. However, they pay the same as every other MSP firm, and require Chicago/NYC billables to make partner.

Dorsey has been on a consistent down-trend, and is now third in raw attorney numbers, behind Fredrikson and Faegre. Rumor mill is that Dorsey is a merger candidate due to their extensive client roster.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 am

phantomoca wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Callbacks with Dorsey, Faegre, Robins scheduled/recently completed...I want to do litigation, but no specific specialty.

Dorsey has the best reputation in the Twin Cities, Faegre is the biggest, and Robins is ALL litigation. I would caution that partner tracks in all three have increased significantly in the last few years, particularly at Robins which is very associate-heavy. Overall though, all great firms, good reputations in TC.

So will the exit options into government be comparable at each? Should I choose based solely on fit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Any movement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Robins offer after callback last week. During my interview they said they would be done making offers next week, so it's probably not looking good if someone is out there waiting on a callback. Also Faegre offer last week, but they are making rolling offers and had interview slots available out into October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Robins offer after callback last week. During my interview they said they would be done making offers next week, so it's probably not looking good if someone is out there waiting on a callback. Also Faegre offer last week, but they are making rolling offers and had interview slots available out into October.

Are you from MN? MN school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Robins offer after callback last week. During my interview they said they would be done making offers next week, so it's probably not looking good if someone is out there waiting on a callback. Also Faegre offer last week, but they are making rolling offers and had interview slots available out into October.

Are you from MN? MN school?

Not from MN but strong ties (family/previous work experience in the area). Median at MVP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Any word from Fredrikson?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 pm

I am so torn between Faegre and Robins (offers from both). Robins has the stronger commitment to pro bono, i.e. more training for younger associates, but Faegre seems to have the most prestige, i.e. hopefully better exit options.

Someone choose for me. Thanks.

phantomoca

Postby phantomoca » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am so torn between Faegre and Robins (offers from both). Robins has the stronger commitment to pro bono, i.e. more training for younger associates, but Faegre seems to have the most prestige, i.e. hopefully better exit options.

Someone choose for me. Thanks.

First - you need to choose the first where you liked the people. You'll be putting in a lot of hours with them.

Generally, Robins only does litigation. If you are *sure* that's what you want to do, go for it.
Faegre does a bit of everything, and has a phenomenal reputation in the midwest, even nationally. If you want an ability to move outside the twin cities, they're your better choice. If you want to do anything outside litigation, they're also your better choice.

However, it is really hard to go wrong - they are both great firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a cb with Fredrikson? And if so, how long after the screener interview did you hear about a cb?

I mass mailed Fredrikson, was asked for a writing sample, and they haven't responded to my follow up emails trying to follow up. I would love to know their interview status if anyone has word!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had a cb with Fredrikson? And if so, how long after the screener interview did you hear about a cb?

I mass mailed Fredrikson, was asked for a writing sample, and they haven't responded to my follow up emails trying to follow up. I would love to know their interview status if anyone has word!

I accepted an offer at Fredrikson last week. Was asked to come in for a callback about one week after my screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I accepted an offer at Fredrikson last week. Was asked to come in for a callback about one week after my screener.

Your stats would probably be helpful to the person who asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Your stats would probably be helpful to the person who asked.

T1, 10%, LR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:13 pm

I accepted an offer at Fredrikson last week. Was asked to come in for a callback about one week after my screener.[/quote]

Your stats would probably be helpful to the person who asked.[/quote]
T1, 10%, LR[/quote]

Thanks for providing stats and congrats to you! Wish they'd actually gotten back to me.... Oh well, I'm happy to say I've found firms with recruiters who make me a priority!

Return to “Legal Employment”