Importance of callback date?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Importance of callback date?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I got calls from K&L Gates and Katten Muchin on wednesday. I returned the calls yesterday after lunch, and I was psyched to have callbacks scheduled about 10 days from now. Meanwhile I talked to people in my class, and one person is going to KL on monday and another to Katten on tuesday. How much of a disadvantage is it to have a later callback?

I'm kicking myself for not calling back at 8am the next day or leaving an overnight voicemail.

Anonymous User

Re: Importance of callback date?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Not sure what school you're at, but I did CBs with K&L last Thursday and Katten yesterday and at both places I had classmates scheduled for up to a week later that I knew of - mostly because our CBs from different screener interviewers came at different times. Can't imagine it being too much of a disadvantage especially because both of them have VERY small classes and probably take awhile to review their candidates because it's such a small group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Ok, thanks. I posted this anonymously because neither is a huge office so I assume the summer class will not be large.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 pm

What offices? I'm interviewing with K&L in Boston and wasn't offered anything before September. (I scheduled a while ago.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:41 pm

to say the offices would out me, but its not boston area. I saw the phone call and let it go to voicemail--I assume they called several people in a row, reached some of them, and scheduled accordingly. By the time i called back I'm behind in line and i just hope that I didn't screw myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Ask the recruiter if you can be put on a waitlist if anything earlier opens up, since people may cancel as they hear back. I was able to get a CB (though not from either of these firms) moved from mid-september up to next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to say the offices would out me, but its not boston area. I saw the phone call and let it go to voicemail--I assume they called several people in a row, reached some of them, and scheduled accordingly. By the time i called back I'm behind in line and i just hope that I didn't screw myself.

Understood - thanks for the reply. I did the same thing. I mean, obviously earlier is better, but I think a lot of people let it go to vm and call back later.

Anonymous User wrote:Ask the recruiter if you can be put on a waitlist if anything earlier opens up, since people may cancel as they hear back. I was able to get a CB (though not from either of these firms) moved from mid-september up to next week.

Thanks for the tip - I was wondering if this was something worth asking about (generally) or something that would make me sound crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 pm

The suggestion of writing to offer to come in early is a good one.

Does anyone have rough numbers on the callback/offer ratio at either firm?

Return to “Legal Employment”