Cravath or Sullcrom

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cravath or Sullcrom

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Does S&C have the best general corporate practice right now? Or is it hard to distinguish between the strengths of the corporate practices of V5+STB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does S&C have the best general corporate practice right now? Or is it hard to distinguish between the strengths of the corporate practices of V5+STB?

also curious about this

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does S&C have the best general corporate practice right now? Or is it hard to distinguish between the strengths of the corporate practices of V5+STB?

really, it probably depends on what you mean by "general corporate" and will probably depend on practice area preference

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Everyone I know at Cravath is insufferable, whereas I know people at S&C who are not insufferable. Probably not a statistically significant sample size, so take it for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I know at Cravath is insufferable, whereas I know people at S&C who are not insufferable. Probably not a statistically significant sample size, so take it for what it's worth.

I can recall multiple people at my Cravath CB and second look who seemed either mildly pissed off at me or just plain pissed off about life in general. Wasn't a huge sample, but I'd be lying if I said that that didn't help me settle on S&C, where the folks I talked to and worked with were, without any exceptions I can think of, generally engaging and, if anything, overly welcoming. And comparing my summer experience with friends at Cravath, I'm pretty sure I made the right call (although at least some of that is due to the difference in workload for summers at the two firms). I think it mostly comes down to a personality difference and where I stand, but it seems pretty meaningful nonetheless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Everyone I know at Cravath is insufferable, whereas I know people at S&C who are not insufferable. Probably not a statistically significant sample size, so take it for what it's worth.

I can recall multiple people at my Cravath CB and second look who seemed either mildly pissed off at me or just plain pissed off about life in general. Wasn't a huge sample, but I'd be lying if I said that that didn't help me settle on S&C, where the folks I talked to and worked with were, without any exceptions I can think of, generally engaging and, if anything, overly welcoming. And comparing my summer experience with friends at Cravath, I'm pretty sure I made the right call (although at least some of that is due to the difference in workload for summers at the two firms). I think it mostly comes down to a personality difference and where I stand, but it seems pretty meaningful nonetheless.

I wasn't a fan of either during my interviews- everyone at s&c seemed to be super boring/pissy too. Is the difference really that big between the two firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

I also was not a fan of either, and looking back my law school classmates at both these firms are miserable and some have lateraled to other firms after 1 year. I would give more consideration to firms with reputations of being kinder to their associates such as STB, DPW, Cleary, Debevoise. It's hard to assess what firm culture means in a vacuum as a rising 2L but it means everything when you are working in that environment everyday.

But if you are to pick between the two base it on whether you want the cravath system or not. On the one hand you might develop a good relationship with the partner, on the other that guy/gal is a monster and you're stuck working in fear for 18 months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Can someone--preferably someone who knows from experience--explain to me what people mean when they talk about a "toxic" environment, one that's "abusive," to associates, etc.? Not trying to argue that these firms aren't that way, just haven't been in a firm so don't really know how this plays out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Visited both of these places last week and got a different impression. I think it comes down to your own personality type. My take is that S&C people, as a whole, were more of the academic/ bookish type. People I met at Cravath were more outgoing/ assertive. I personally prefer the latter, but see why certain reputations can develop, since many law students seem more comfortable with the former (which seems to play out even further to the extreme with places like Debevoise).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Visited both of these places last week and got a different impression. I think it comes down to your own personality type. My take is that S&C people, as a whole, were more of the academic/ bookish type. People I met at Cravath were more outgoing/ assertive. I personally prefer the latter, but see why certain reputations can develop, since many law students seem more comfortable with the former (which seems to play out even further to the extreme with places like Debevoise).

(second quoted anon poster here) Yep, that was close to my impression as well, and it's why I say that my preference for S&C's culture was a pretty personal one. I've worked in an environment filled with the outgoing/assertive type (i-banking after college), and while I enjoyed it and generally prefer that quality in my friends, I just don't need that in my day-to-day work life. Not to say that Cravath is remotely fratty in the way that i-banking is, of course, or that all of the serious/academic/bookish types at at S&C are necessarily easier to work with. If you're making the choice based on personality/culture (and there are lots of other factors to consider, as noted in this thread), I'd say to just go with your gut based on the people you've actually met at each firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”