THE OCI/EIW/post-CB Rejection DING BAR

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: THE OCI/EIW/post-CB Rejection DING BAR

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:WilmerHale's dings are pretty harsh. One email (post-screener) said that the hiring committee had met and decided that my qualifications do not merit further interviews and another email (from mass-mail) said that my qualifications don't meet their needs.

It's certainly better than the "despite your impressive credentials...... We are sure you will succeed in your future endeavors" shit that some firms are shoveling

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Dear Simpson Thacher,

I wanted it to work. I really did. If you called me right now, I can't lie – I would come running.

But I do have my dignity. So no, I will not be "speaking to you again next year about [my] plans after graduation. " I won't be broken again for your sadistic pleasure.

Sincerely,

-Unemployed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Skadden Arps,

Allow me to express my sincerest surprise that Stephen Arcano enjoyed meeting me. I am not sure whether I went temporarily blind in one eye or have perhaps suffered serious brain trauma, but I wanted to thank you for alerting me to these possibilities as I have absolutely no memory of Mr. Arcano actually being present at my interview. As I am certain an institution as venerable as yours would never be so sloppily callous as to forgot whether a given interviewer was actually present, I can only conclude that I must be suffering from a serious neurological condition for which I am seeking immediate help.

Dicks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Dear Vinson & Elkins,

It was so wonderful to meet you too at NYU's OCI. Unfortunately, I don't go to NYU nor have I ever interviewed with you. Appreciate it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Any 3LS in here going through this twice :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:24 am

Dear Anonymous DC Firm,

Thanks for making me go to lunch with a creepy associate who was completely incapable of making conversation. It was a pleasure. And thanks for forgetting my deadline and making me chase you down for an answer.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear Anonymous DC Firm,

Thanks for making me go to lunch with a creepy associate who was completely incapable of making conversation. It was a pleasure. And thanks for forgetting my deadline and making me chase you down for an answer.

Let me guess why they decided to ding you

Druid

Postby Druid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dear Anonymous DC Firm,

Let me guess why they decided to ding you

Solid anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:25 pm

The two above demonstrate the ugly side or this forum / the anonymous part of the internet.

I was the anon above and I only said "chasing them down" to sound humorous. It was just a polite reminder. And why is it so necessary to call out perceived "anon abuse"? Perhaps there are circumstances you don't know about for which using my username might lead to unwanted consequences. Surely, there are better ways to spend one's time.

All I was trying to do was contribute an amusing anecdote to this board for people's entertainment. Lesson learned.

guano

Postby guano » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The two above demonstrate the ugly side or this forum / the anonymous part of the internet.

I was the anon above and I only said "chasing them down" to sound humorous. It was just a polite reminder. And why is it so necessary to call out perceived "anon abuse"? Perhaps there are circumstances you don't know about for which using my username might lead to unwanted consequences. Surely, there are better ways to spend one's time.

All I was trying to do was contribute an amusing anecdote to this board for people's entertainment. Lesson learned.

He meant me

Druid

Postby Druid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:The two above demonstrate the ugly side or this forum / the anonymous part of the internet.

I was calling out the dude for posting anon for the sole purpose of insulting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Friday: CB
Monday: 9 thank you notes. 2 responses (1 from the managing partner of the office)
Tuesday: Rejection.
Later on Tuesday: 3rd response to thank you note.
Wednesday: 4th response.

The timing of this seems weird. Maybe they were already poised to reject me before the thank yous, but I guess I'll never know.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Dear three firms that rejected me,

FU$#%$ YOU!

Dear three firms that have been silent,

please pick me, please pick me, please pick me....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am

Not a really a ding but a pretty similar feeling:

Missed call from school's area code. Voicemail. Had interview with local firm 2 days before, and have a couple of others that have not yet rejected me.

Check voicemail: "Hi this is so and so from YOUR DENTIST just calling to ask you about your insurance."

Sweet. Mind you, I went to the dentist about a month ago, so I was not expecting a call from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 am

That is awful. Wow.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:05 am

Just wanted to say, that anon above is not me, but I share your present dental disdain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Had a phone interview with a firm in DC outside of OCI (I go to school in the midwest).

During interview: hiring partner of office virtually assures me I will receive a callback.

2.5 weeks pass: I send e-mail making up reason why I will be in DC.

Next day: ding.

WTF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Dear Ohio firms,

Eat sh$@, all of you. 18 screener interviews with only one CB/ding? That's the best you can do? With feedback from multiple partners that I interview well and have great softs, but my grades are just outside the minimum cutoff? Why would you screen me if there was never a chance in hell?

Sincerely,

Anon with Crushed Dreams

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Dear Wachtellol,

I guess it was a bad idea to ask that partner if he had a life outside of work. His telling me that he had successfully "schedule[d]" dinner at home with his wife that evening was very comforting. So much so that the rejection email that almost beat my plane home did not sting so bad. I always knew your firm attracted quick people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Dear firm that rejected me via email using Comic Sans font,

Really?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Dear King and Spaulding (Houston),

Thanks for reminding me that I'm not getting a callback. Even though I might not be good enough to work for you, I am smart enough to realize that silence from my late August interview meant that I was not getting a callback. Thanks for the reminder e-mail though, I can rest easy.

Best regards,

Anonymous

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

<3 ding bars.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Dear Firm,

I withdrew last week after accepting elsewhere, but you still sent me an "I don't want you" email this week. That's fine, you can tell everyone you broke up with me first.

Love,
The one that got away

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

Dear Arnold Porter,

I'm not sure which is the more surprising aspect of receiving your self-ID questionnaire: the fact that I have already been rejected by you, or the fact that I have already filled out this form for you. Either way, get your act together.

-Annoyed 2L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Taking you into the weekend is Jones Day's latest hit "Rejection"

Return to “Legal Employment”