Clerkship / offer question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship / offer question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi all, I just received an offer from a V50 firm (yay). I'm clerking at a state supreme court in 14-15. When I was interviewing and after I received the clerkship offer over the summer, the hiring contact at the firm double-checked with the HR folks and reassured me that "all clerkships receive a clerkship bonus," including state clerkships, and that I would enter as a 2nd year associate. When I spoke with the hiring partner who called with the offer, he also mentioned that I would receive a clerkship bonus. However, when I received my offer materials, they say that federal clerkships receive a clerkship bonus, that if I am offered a federal clerkship I will get a bonus, and that I would receive the same compensation as other entering associates. I know, I know--I should just accept the offer and be happy I am employed at all. But I am sort of surprised at the discrepancy. Is this worth following up with HR/the recruiting contact about? Thanks!

anon168

Re: Clerkship / offer question

Postby anon168 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I just received an offer from a V50 firm (yay). I'm clerking at a state supreme court in 14-15. When I was interviewing and after I received the clerkship offer over the summer, the hiring contact at the firm double-checked with the HR folks and reassured me that "all clerkships receive a clerkship bonus," including state clerkships, and that I would enter as a 2nd year associate. When I spoke with the hiring partner who called with the offer, he also mentioned that I would receive a clerkship bonus. However, when I received my offer materials, they say that federal clerkships receive a clerkship bonus, that if I am offered a federal clerkship I will get a bonus, and that I would receive the same compensation as other entering associates. I know, I know--I should just accept the offer and be happy I am employed at all. But I am sort of surprised at the discrepancy. Is this worth following up with HR/the recruiting contact about? Thanks!

Sure, but just do it in an "informational" way (i.e., "just want to make sure I understand etc. ...) and not a confrontational way (i.e., "why was I mislead when I accepted the offer etc. ...).

Many times these are form letters, and most people do federal clerkships, and so firms tailor their offer letters to that effect.

Return to “Legal Employment”