Offer at v50 NYC, cancel some screeners?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer at v50 NYC, cancel some screeners?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

I have an offer at a v50 that I love through mass mailing, so I'm thinking about cancelling screeners with similarly ranked firms that aren't as strong in my particular practice area in order to 1) ease my number of screeners so I can focus more on reaches and 2) free up those spaces for classmates looking for a job.

Has anyone ever gone to a screener or callback with a safety and realized they love it? Should I cancel?

Re: Offer at v50 NYC, cancel some screeners?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Extreme Enjoy DLA Piper trolling.

Seriously though, can you even cancel the screeners? Many career services prevent it, are you sure you can?

I wouldn't cancel the rest because you love the V50. But if it really has the better practice group that you want, that is more objective. And going on other callbacks won't change that. So you might as well cancel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Extreme Enjoy DLA Piper trolling.

Seriously though, can you even cancel the screeners? Many career services prevent it, are you sure you can?

I wouldn't cancel the rest because you love the V50. But if it really has the better practice group that you want, that is more objective. And going on other callbacks won't change that. So you might as well cancel.

Not DLA but I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

One other thing, does this V50 give 100% offers year after year? That might be something you haven't consider, and you probably should.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

One other thing, does this V50 give 100% offers year after year? That might be something you haven't consider, and you probably should.

100% for multiple years in a row

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I wouldn't cancel the rest because you love the V50. But if it really has the better practice group that you want, that is more objective. And going on other callbacks won't change that. So you might as well cancel.

I know that GW will allow you to cancel (not saying OP is there, just commenting on the subject). I had this happen not that long ago. I canceled around 36 hours before the interview in order to try and get someone else a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm

OP here: school allows cancelling if done a few days in advance. In the middle of OCI now.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:05 pm

FWIW, cancel away even if CS tells you not to. Not like they will dock you points (unless it's Hogwarts Law).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm

TTRansfer wrote:FWIW, cancel away even if CS tells you not to. Not like they will dock you points (unless it's Hogwarts Law).

:lol: Shit. It's Hogwarts. 50 points from Hufflepuff.

I think DF was right in that I shouldn't cancel a firm that would lead to better exit options, but that similar ones are probably OK to cancel. I love my school and want everyone to do well, so I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on some of the lower-ranked firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”