How To Best Decline Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
J. D.

How To Best Decline Offer?

Postby J. D. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Going on three weeks after the fact my NLJ SA firm has yet to announce offers. Given my anxiety I applied to three V OCI firms. One led to a CB that just resulted in an offer (working on details, hoping they will send me to their Boca satellite office in my home state), one resulted in a CB (optimistically expecting offer) and one in radio silence.

I really like the people at my SA firm, thus I am not looking to burn any bridges. Anticipating that an offer is coming and that I will be declining their offer, I am just not quite sure exactly what to say. The truth is I would have enthusiastically accepted their offer had they tendered it earlier (do I dare mention that point) or just say it was a wonderful experience but I have decided on another option? In the event my SA firm no-offered me, that’s easy, it’s been a pleasure working with you and leave it at that.

How did others here decline their SA offer (or handle a no-offer)?

typo edit
Last edited by J. D. on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Re: How To Best Decline Offer

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Just tell them you are moving out of state for another offer. Don't berate them for not getting back to you sooner. I'm sure they will get over it quickly.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: How To Best Decline Offer?

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm

NYstate wrote:Just tell them you are moving out of state for another offer. Don't berate them for not getting back to you sooner. I'm sure they will get over it quickly.

This.

Also, do it QUICKLY. Keep in mind that they may be delaying on offers for financial reasons, and if they know for certain that you are out of the running, they may end up making an offer to someone else and/or just giving out all the offers sooner.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Wait, you turned three 3L OCI screeners into two Vault range offers after summering at an NLJ firm?
Or are you talking about a 1L SA?

If the former, how could you possibly interview that well while simultaneously lacking such fundamental social skills?

If the latter, 1L SA offers are typically offers to return for part of the 2L summer (at least that's how it was for me and those I know who had them). Those offers are turned down very frequently as they rarely offer you to come back the entire 2L summer and few people are willing to risk offending their 2L SA firm by asking to split. If this is the position you're in, there is virtually no tact required. Decline politely and it will be a matter of course for them.

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Also, do it QUICKLY. Keep in mind that they may be delaying on offers for financial reasons, and if they know for certain that you are out of the running, they may end up making an offer to someone else and/or just giving out all the offers sooner.

Before QUICKLY can happen the details have to be ironed out. I am not a fan of NYC, so they tried to direct me to NOLA…. also not a fan. But Florida, absolutely yes. I am 99% sure Fla will happen but until I know for sure, hanging tight.

I seriously doubt if the delay is financial. We were slammed during SA, which was extended from 10 to 12 weeks. That’s why I keep wondering, why do certain firms wait when it is not financial?

To the other poster, this is about entering 3L with a something or nothing,

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

J. D. wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Also, do it QUICKLY. Keep in mind that they may be delaying on offers for financial reasons, and if they know for certain that you are out of the running, they may end up making an offer to someone else and/or just giving out all the offers sooner.

Before QUICKLY can happen the details have to be ironed out. I am not a fan of NYC, so they tried to direct me to NOLA…. also not a fan. But Florida, absolutely yes. I am 99% sure Fla will happen but until I know for sure, hanging tight.

I seriously doubt if the delay is financial. We were slammed during SA, which was extended from 10 to 12 weeks. That’s why I keep wondering, why do certain firms wait when it is not financial?

To the other poster, this is about entering 3L with a something or nothing,

Some wait because things come up and there are vacations. I know my firm delayed in making their offer, because one of the committee members had some unexpected fires to put out and another two went on vacations during the other two potential weeks. There are so many variables that could potentially explain the wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 pm

OP can you provide stats/school rank?

J. D.

Postby J. D. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP can you provide stats/school rank?

School has a +90% employment score and +60% big firm employment. OCI is huge.

Return to “Legal Employment”