"Reiteration of Interest"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Reiteration of Interest"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

2 CBs in NY over two weeks ago (was actually told "no less than two weeks, yes or no")

Is there any downside to sending an email to just remind them of my continued interest?

Before anyone jumps on me - I am still continuing my mass-mailing and OCI work, but these two firms in NY are at the top of my interest list so I want to make that clear to them.

Anonymous User

Re: "Reiteration of Interest"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm

There can be "downside" to anything because nothing in the "law industry" makes sense and life is often arbitrary.

But anecdotally, FWIW, I'm pretty sure I got at least one offer this way (sent one and got an offer the next day after about a 2 week silence). It may be more likely to work when a firm (usually lower ranked) is reluctant to offer a (usually top school/high grade) candidate that they think might have many other offers because they don't want their summer class to get oversubscribed. I'm not sure how well it works w/r/t the very top, e.g. V10s.

You can kind of glean which firms are worried about yield, because typically they will be on the lower end of quality of life/other rankings (meaning they might give out more offers than other firms, but students with other options won't pick them, so they don't want too many offers outstanding). So if one of these is on your list, I would personally consider sending one. I worded mine by saying I had an offer from another firm in the same market, without being any more specific, but was still strongly interested in that firm, or something to that effect (using "top choice" or language implying commitment is probably unwise unless you're literally going to accept the moment you're offered -- and you've said you're interested in two firms).

I also got a rejection after sending one or two of these and/or calling with a firm that was being particularly slow (but only got this aggressive once I had other offers, and they were going to expire soon), so I guess maybe if you're annoying about it or give them a deadline you could compel them to make a quick decision and reject you, but I generally don't think it will cause them to reject you unless you screw it up somehow (typos, etc.).

(Your results may vary.)

Anonymous User

Re: "Reiteration of Interest"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There can be "downside" to anything because nothing in the "law industry" makes sense and life is often arbitrary.

But anecdotally, FWIW, I'm pretty sure I got at least one offer this way (sent one and got an offer the next day after about a 2 week silence). It may be more likely to work when a firm (usually lower ranked) is reluctant to offer a (usually top school/high grade) candidate that they think might have many other offers because they don't want their summer class to get oversubscribed. I'm not sure how well it works w/r/t the very top, e.g. V10s.

You can kind of glean which firms are worried about yield, because typically they will be on the lower end of quality of life/other rankings (meaning they might give out more offers than other firms, but students with other options won't pick them, so they don't want too many offers outstanding). So if one of these is on your list, I would personally consider sending one. I worded mine by saying I had an offer from another firm in the same market, without being any more specific, but was still strongly interested in that firm, or something to that effect (using "top choice" or language implying commitment is probably unwise unless you're literally going to accept the moment you're offered -- and you've said you're interested in two firms).

I also got a rejection after sending one or two of these and/or calling with a firm that was being particularly slow (but only got this aggressive once I had other offers, and they were going to expire soon), so I guess maybe if you're annoying about it or give them a deadline you could compel them to make a quick decision and reject you, but I generally don't think it will cause them to reject you unless you screw it up somehow (typos, etc.).

(Your results may vary.)

OP Here

Thanks for the extensive advice/anecdotes. Much appreciated.

My situation is one V5 and one V40 who I would both accept on the spot if either one were to offer me. I currently do not have any other offers, but still have a few OCI rounds on the horizon.

I clearly have a decision to make, but I appreciate your input.

Return to “Legal Employment”