Im broke but need to get to New York

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Im broke but need to get to New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 am

I've got a callback in NYC, but the firm reimburses instead of fronting travel. I don't have a credit card, loans won't come in for a few days, and I don't have the cash to acquire a train/plane ticket. I'm not opposed to selling my body for money, sexually or non, but I'm not sure I'll have many takers. Thoughts?

SportsFan

Re: Im broke but need to get to New York

Postby SportsFan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am

Can you get enough cash to take a bus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am

SportsFan wrote:Can you get enough cash to take a bus?

Probably. That's a good point. And I guess it would be pretty hilarious to submit my greyhound receipts.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 am

Where are you coming from? The Bus from like Boston or Philly is like 20-30 bucks. Can a friend loan you that much? You seriously don't have credit card? You should change that.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a callback in NYC, but the firm reimburses instead of fronting travel. I don't have a credit card, loans won't come in for a few days, and I don't have the cash to acquire a train/plane ticket. I'm not opposed to selling my body for money, sexually or non, but I'm not sure I'll have many takers. Thoughts?

How far are you? I think Craigslist and other sites offer ride shares, like you post where you need to go and when. I assume you'd still have to kick in some money for gas.

Maybe some shady payday lender type place will offer you a high-fee advance against your loans if you can show them documentation?

Final idea is to just call someone at the firm (whoever would administratively handle this sort of thing) and explain the situation, pleading with them to be discrete about it, and asking if they'd book the ticket for you or front the money. That would be my last resort.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am

This. There has got to be someone who can lend you some cash to take a bus. Arrive on the day of the callback and leave that night.

I had to do this last year for an unreimbursed screening interview in NYC. I had to arrive in NYC that day, rush to a friend's place to shower, and then rush back down to the firm for the interviews. It was rough, but the frustration of trying to survive a trip to NY with zero budget left little time to get nervous. Best interview ever and I will be starting with the firm this fall. I feel your pain, but I am sure you can figure it out. (Worst case scenario I would tell career services and see what resources the school has available. Surely they want you to get a job)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am

fanlinxun wrote:

This. There has got to be someone who can lend you some cash to take a bus. Arrive on the day of the callback and leave that night.

I had to do this last year for an unreimbursed screening interview in NYC. I had to arrive in NYC that day, rush to a friend's place to shower, and then rush back down to the firm for the interviews. It was rough, but the frustration of trying to survive a trip to NY with zero budget left little time to get nervous. Best interview ever and I will be starting with the firm this fall. I feel your pain, but I am sure you can figure it out. (Worst case scenario I would tell career services and see what resources the school has available. Surely they want you to get a job)

That's reassuring, thanks! I think I'm about 300-400 miles away (Durham/Charlottesville) so a bus wouldn't take ABSURDLY long, but I think the distance probably eliminates ride sharing. I called career services, they were cold on the idea of lending me cash (probably assumed I'd drink it, which is a reasonable assumption).

horseradish

Postby horseradish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:

That's reassuring, thanks! I think I'm about 300-400 miles away (Durham/Charlottesville) so a bus wouldn't take ABSURDLY long, but I think the distance probably eliminates ride sharing. I called career services, they were cold on the idea of lending me cash (probably assumed I'd drink it, which is a reasonable assumption).

Apply for a credit card too while you're at it. It might take too long to make a difference on this interview, but sounds like this situation could arise again. Also...it builds credit.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

I would definitely look in to a bus. It will probably be under $50 bucks and you should be able to find a direct one.
Last edited by newyorker88 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am

I rode Greyhound from New York to Charlottesville recently and it wasn't terrible. It might be difficult to pull off same day travel though because the buses into and out of Charlottesville are limited and the trip takes 8 hours minimum. To avoid a hotel stay you'd probably need to travel overnight there and overnight back or something. Also, you'll have to transfer at least once and delays are common so a tight transfer window would be risky.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 am

Crazy.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 am

Here are instant approval credit cards: http://www.creditcards.com/instant-approval.php

If you get approved immediately, you can apparently use the credit line immediately as well. You gotta make the most of all your callbacks. I highly suggest using this and taking a plane than taking that long of a bus ride before your callback.

An alternative is to buy from the airline directly and use their credit card offer to pay for the plane.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 am

wow going through something like this can't help your performance at the CB. you should do the what shumpshump is advising.

is there a specific reason why you have no credit cards or can't ask your parents or siblings for a loan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 am

OP if charlottesville that bus has been as much as four hours late and is unreliable. If you are at UVa I would lend you the cash to take to take the Amtrak. If you go to Duke, I don't care if you get a job.

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am

shumpshump wrote:Here are instant approval credit cards: http://www.creditcards.com/instant-approval.php

If you get approved immediately, you can apparently use the credit line immediately as well. You gotta make the most of all your callbacks. I highly suggest using this and taking a plane than taking that long of a bus ride before your callback.

An alternative is to buy from the airline directly and use their credit card offer to pay for the plane.

Most store cards (in my experience) could be used immediately, so that is another option for a way to get a credit card asap. That or one of the above options is what I would do. (This is assuming you can get approved for a card.) You can also really search for some friends or family to lend you money for a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am

You really don't have a friend or family member who can loan you a couple hundred bucks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 am

fanlinxun wrote:

(Worst case scenario I would tell career services and see what resources the school has available. Surely they want you to get a job)

This seems like a really good idea. Career services must have some relationship and trust with this firm, or could pull some strings with the financial aid office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:36 am

Can you beg your parents or close family members for a loan? That's what I would do.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 am

I know I would loan a friend enough for a plane ticket, especially if I knew they were getting reimbursed in short order. The bus or other weird modes of transport sound unnecessarily stressful.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 pm

How does an adult not have a credit card.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How does an adult not have a credit card.

There are apparently an alarming number of law students who are "adult" only according to their driver's licenses.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How does an adult not have a credit card.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm

if you arent averse to weird hours you can pick up like megabus tickets from around the charlottesville/durham area for extremely cheap prices to go to NYC

but seriously id just loan some cash from a friend to get a flight up there out of RDU to NYC its like 150-200 for a round trip

yips

Postby yips » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:21 pm

See if you can get a short-term emergency loan from your financial aid office. Many schools offer this type of assistance for a month or so. You can borrow a couple hundred bucks or whatever is enough to cover the cost of the trip (although given your lack of credit card, you might consider taking out more just in case you have another...situation).

Just call up and explain the situation -- and do it quickly. You want to schedule that CB as soon as you can.

Return to “Legal Employment”