Not Interested in Summer Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not Interested in Summer Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 am

I worked at the same medium-sized firm in both my 1L and 2L summers. Last summer, I enjoyed the work to a certain degree (at least enough to accept the 2L summer offer). This summer, however, it was a completely different experience. I began to imagine myself in the position as a full-time associate, and I honestly hated it. I had mind-numbing assignments and felt like much of my time was essentially wasted doing busy work. I also worked a lot with some rough firm personalities. I understand that much of summer associate work is grunt work, but newer associates in the firm also do similar work. I also learned that first-year associates at the firm make much less than I had anticipated. Beyond the job itself, I would be moving home to a smaller market that is much less dynamic and interesting than nearby cities. With a likely job offer on the way, I am choosing to apply to small and medium firms in a different market. I have family connections in the different market, but it is neither my home market nor my law school's market. It is a short drive from both my home and law school markets though.

Is anyone else looking to turn down a post-2L summer offer or an offer for a job that isn't a right fit? Any suggestions (beyond mass mailing and networking) for someone applying to a different market? Thank you in advance.

NYstate

Re: Not Interested in Summer Firm

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am

Do not turn down an offer in hand because you think the grass is greener elsewhere. If they give you an offer, take it and keep looking.

People find jobs through simplicity, Craigslist and other job boards. There are some thread on this by keg and a Harvard guy.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 am

New associates will do the same kind of work at pretty much every firm. Unless the different market and pay difference is enough to compensate for the fact that you hate the mind-numbing work, I would consider a different legal atmosphere all together-government, non-profit, or criminal, perhaps. (Though those will all have mind-numbing tasks, as well.)

You have to earn your place at a firm, and you do that by taking care of the menial work no one else wants to do. You will also cost the client a lot less to do that work; No one wants to pay $400/hr for someone to fill in charts.

(I'm a first-year associate)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

Would it really be acceptable to take the first offer and then later renege if something better comes along?

Also, my plan as of now is to work for a few years in a firm and then transition into some sort of in-house position in a business or other organization. I would apply directly to in-house positions, but my understanding is that firm experience is essentially required for those positions.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at the same medium-sized firm in both my 1L and 2L summers. Last summer, I enjoyed the work to a certain degree (at least enough to accept the 2L summer offer). This summer, however, it was a completely different experience. I began to imagine myself in the position as a full-time associate, and I honestly hated it. I had mind-numbing assignments and felt like much of my time was essentially wasted doing busy work. I also worked a lot with some rough firm personalities. I understand that much of summer associate work is grunt work, but newer associates in the firm also do similar work. I also learned that first-year associates at the firm make much less than I had anticipated. Beyond the job itself, I would be moving home to a smaller market that is much less dynamic and interesting than nearby cities. With a likely job offer on the way, I am choosing to apply to small and medium firms in a different market. I have family connections in the different market, but it is neither my home market nor my law school's market. It is a short drive from both my home and law school markets though.

Is anyone else looking to turn down a post-2L summer offer or an offer for a job that isn't a right fit? Any suggestions (beyond mass mailing and networking) for someone applying to a different market? Thank you in advance.

What constitutes a "mind-numbing" assignment? First-year associates at most firms do stuff like massive document review, isolated legal research assignments, spreadsheets, memos, etc. First year work like that is a really bad reason to leave a secure job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

My decision to look elsewhere isn't just about the job itself. I understand that young associates do a lot of menial work. It is also about getting out of my hometown and into a more dynamic market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would it really be acceptable to take the first offer and then later renege if something better comes along?

Also, my plan as of now is to work for a few years in a firm and then transition into some sort of in-house position in a business or other organization. I would apply directly to in-house positions, but my understanding is that firm experience is essentially required for those positions.

At will employment goes both ways

Return to “Legal Employment”