Blowing CBs but solid in screeners? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Blowing CBs but solid in screeners?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
There is a difference between being in a thread specifically dedicated to a question about what law firm to choose versus a thread in which people with 0 offers are trying to figure out if there is a need to change strategies. As has been pointed out in many threads, most people end up with only one offer. To come in and complain when others here have zero is bullshit. You do not feel the same as OP because at the end of the day you will be employed.
Fair enough- my apologies. What I was getting at was that I had a great screener:callback ratio and then a miserable callback:offer ratio, and I don't know what changed from one to the next, aside from obviously meeting with more people at the callback stage, but I can see how my comment was in poor taste, so sorry to anyone I offended. I wish I had something more meaningful to offer, but I really don't know what changed for me, and was a bit perplexed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:
There is a difference between being in a thread specifically dedicated to a question about what law firm to choose versus a thread in which people with 0 offers are trying to figure out if there is a need to change strategies. As has been pointed out in many threads, most people end up with only one offer. To come in and complain when others here have zero is bullshit. You do not feel the same as OP because at the end of the day you will be employed.
Fair enough- my apologies. What I was getting at was that I had a great screener:callback ratio and then a miserable callback:offer ratio, and I don't know what changed from one to the next, aside from obviously meeting with more people at the callback stage, but I can see how my comment was in poor taste, so sorry to anyone I offended. I wish I had something more meaningful to offer, but I really don't know what changed for me, and was a bit perplexed.
I think people are just on edge right now because of callbacks and such.

It's enlightening to know that even someone who killed at getting CBs didn't do so well in converting them. This process is so hard to figure out for those of us who aren't auto-offers with our grades and/or WE.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:
I think people are just on edge right now because of callbacks and such.

It's enlightening to know that even someone who killed at getting CBs didn't do so well in converting them. This process is so hard to figure out for those of us who aren't auto-offers with our grades and/or WE.
Just as an FYI, everyone needs to remember that there are not that many auto-offers. CBs, offers, and such are not like applying to law school, and many times firms offer way more CBs than they plan on making full time offers which is why it is way more difficult to convert CBs to offers rather than Screeners to CBs. On top of that, class sizes come into play as well. I know people last year who had top notch grades (not top 5%, but top 15-20 from a T14) that only had a couple offers. Just keep grinding, don't take it personally, and keep applying until you get a job. If you have an offer you don't like, do the same. But remember, it only takes one, and the difference between one offer and none is more than you can imagine.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Based on your participation in this thread, I'm guessing it has to do with being tone deaf.

Seriously. it is not uncommon for someone to get dinged in a callback for lacking an awareness of what is and is not appropriate. Idle chit-chat and casual comments can be land mines -- not to mention questions specifically designed to test your ability to answer questions with political aplomb. It is relatively easy to get by in a screener. Callbacks are much more about whether you can work with someone/trust them to interact with others on your behalf.

Lots of things can be taught. Poor instincts are very difficult to work around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Based on your participation in this thread, I'm guessing it has to do with being tone deaf.

Seriously. it is not uncommon for someone to get dinged in a callback for lacking an awareness of what is and is not appropriate. Idle chit-chat and casual comments can be land mines -- not to mention questions specifically designed to test your ability to answer questions with political aplomb. It is relatively easy to get by in a screener. Callbacks are much more about whether you can work with someone/trust them to interact with others on your behalf.

Thanks for your input.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Thanks for your input.
Fortunately, you have an offer. However, since you didn't seem to realize that your comment in this thread was completely off-base until after people jumped down your throat, you might consider doing some self-reflection on your callbacks. With luck, you have an offer with a 100% offer rate. If not, next to work product (and sometimes more than work product), "fit" is the most common reason for a no-offer. "Fit" is a rather amorphous concept, but one component is certainly whether you think you can trust the person to be on a call/in the same room with opposing counsel/the client/ etc.

Your SA could very well be a 10 week interview. If it didn't really occur to you that your comment was in poor taste in this thread, then I seriously suggest giving this a bit of thought (especially if you go 1 for 10 on offers). If you knew you the comment was asshattery and decided to post anyway, well carry on -- I assume you know enough to make better choices on the job. :D

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 pm

hoos89 wrote:Also, how is that a brag? I have an offer at a Vault firm- I didn't say I'm really bummed with my V10 because I wanted V5.
Also, no. No you are not. NOBODY is entitled to a job. Even in if you're straight HPs at Harvard doesn't mean any individual firm is obliged to offer you a job. If you have an offer to SA for thousands of dollars a week at a firm next summer, then you should be damn grateful.[/quote]

okay, okay, I think the point has been made. Hahaha. Though I do agree with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Same boat. Curious though, would being merely average/slightly above average during CBs (even if you fit) count against you? Or is it one of those things where you really have to stand out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”