Working at a Small Law Firm During 2L Semester?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working at a Small Law Firm During 2L Semester?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Top 25% and secondary journal at a tier one school. Just did oci and so far no callbacks after three days. I just got a job working at a small law firm during the semester doing plaintiff side bankruptcy and mortgage work. The firm has between 10-20 attorneys and does have a personal injury practice group that seems kind of shitlawish although they only take serious injury or wrongful death cases not fender benders. I do NOT want to do PI work but I'm currently in a different practice group. They will keep me on as a clerk during the summer and for the forseeable future and have insinuated that the clerk job may turn into a full time job after I graduate.

I'm kind of content with the fact that I have a reliable paying job and am gaining real world experience, because of this I have toned down my job search for a bigger more traditional biglaw firm, ie I've stopped mass mailing. Am I making a mistake by not trying to secure another job maybe at a larger more traditional law firm for this next year and summer?

rad lulz

Re: Working at a Small Law Firm During 2L Semester?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 am

Yes you're making a mistake

How do you know these dudes can hire you or even keep you on in the summer

If possible do both

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 am

It depends what you want. I'd say take the position for during the semester, wait to see if you get any summer position you like better. If not, at least this is a backup option (and one you don't seem unhappy with).

Edit: By "wait to see," I didn't mean do nothing - I meant continue hustling to line up a job and basically re-evaluate your options once you have something. I see this as a potential backup for the summer, but you don't have a secured job yet and who knows if they'll be able to hire later. I agree with the other posters, but I think you should take the semester work to keep your options open - and it's still legal work experience.
Last edited by BostonLove on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 am

rad lulz wrote:Yes you're making a mistake

How do you know these dudes can hire you or even keep you on in the summer

If possible do both

This plus a million. Your best shot to get a better job is right now. Don't blow this chance because you have a part time job.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 25% and secondary journal at a tier one school. Just did oci and so far no callbacks after three days. I just got a job working at a small law firm during the semester doing plaintiff side bankruptcy and mortgage work. The firm has between 10-20 attorneys and does have a personal injury practice group that seems kind of shitlawish although they only take serious injury or wrongful death cases not fender benders. I do NOT want to do PI work but I'm currently in a different practice group. They will keep me on as a clerk during the summer and for the forseeable future and have insinuated that the clerk job may turn into a full time job after I graduate.

I'm kind of content with the fact that I have a reliable paying job and am gaining real world experience, because of this I have toned down my job search for a bigger more traditional biglaw firm, ie I've stopped mass mailing. Am I making a mistake by not trying to secure another job maybe at a larger more traditional law firm for this next year and summer?

As others have said, you'd be crazy not to look for other jobs, particularly since this is a "may turn into a full time job" situation, not an offer. They could be stringing you along, or they could be genuine and their situation could change. YOU DO NOT HAVE A JOB LINED UP.

That said, I think your odds of biglaw are pretty low with top 25% at a "tier one" school and secondary journal, so I would also target smaller and midsized firms that take summers (and maybe even some that don't officially do so).

Return to “Legal Employment”