Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if I didn't get a screener with a firm through preselect only OCI, but want to reapply, should I say in my cover letter that while I didn't get the screener I'm still interested in the firm? or should I just treat it as though it's a brand new application?

(I've seen this answered for people who didn't get screeners through lottery OCIs, but I haven't seen it answered for 100% preselect ones)
I wouldn't mention it.
With GULC's poor man's hybrid, the play is still 'shucks, that stupid lottery,' right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:48 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:12 am

At what point has too much time passed and we should assumed its a ding? 1 week? 1 month?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:13 am

If we get dinged through preselect oci should we still mm the firm?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:50 am

w7ldcard wrote:At what point has too much time passed and we should assumed its a ding? 1 week? 1 month?
you should follow up every few weeks to firms that havent dinged you until you have an offer in hand

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 am

Don't ever assume you've been dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:09 pm

I had a typo on my resume after sending it out to all 200+ firms ... what do I do?

Manteca

Silver

Post by Manteca » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a typo on my resume after sending it out to all 200+ firms ... what do I do?
pray

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Back on topic. I gots an interview in my school's market next week. This shit really does work, even for people outside of the T-14.
Hey, I have to ask, what did you use for the mass mailing? Did you use any kind of program? Resume launchpad? I want to start doing this but I feel so lost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:02 pm

TheoO wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Back on topic. I gots an interview in my school's market next week. This shit really does work, even for people outside of the T-14.
Hey, I have to ask, what did you use for the mass mailing? Did you use any kind of program? Resume launchpad? I want to start doing this but I feel so lost.
I'd start with NALP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:09 am

People who have seen success from mass mailing - are you putting your gpa on your resume? I've just been attaching my transcript with no gpa listed on the transcript. It's about a 3.1 at CCN.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:People who have seen success from mass mailing - are you putting your gpa on your resume? I've just been attaching my transcript with no gpa listed on the transcript. It's about a 3.1 at CCN.
Employers assume the worst when you don't list your GPA. General rule of thumb seems to be that if it's above a 3, put it on your resume.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:20 pm

crumb cake wrote:OCI schedules are out at my school. Can I now mass mail all the firms I didn't get/didn't bid on?

Do you even mention OCI if you didn't bid on them?
lotto - yeah go for it. I wouldn't bring up OCI if you didnt bid on them

preselect - probably pointless since they basically already dinged you

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Kratos wrote:
crumb cake wrote:OCI schedules are out at my school. Can I now mass mail all the firms I didn't get/didn't bid on?

If a firm from a location different from the location you are interviewing for OCI asks you to apply online, wouldn't the firm interviewing you (for OCI) be able to see the info you provided in the app (our school doesn't allow us to post GPAs on our resumes)?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 pm

helpappreciated wrote:
Kratos wrote:

If a firm from a location different from the location you are interviewing for OCI asks you to apply online, wouldn't the firm interviewing you (for OCI) be able to see the info you provided in the app (our school doesn't allow us to post GPAs on our resumes)?
i suppose. what exactly is your concern and how is it relevant to the quoted topic?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 pm

There's some discussion of this above, but if we don't get an interview via lottery, should we mass mail or just visit them in the hospitality suite?

Also re hospitality suite: if we have alumni connections (mid-level) but they're not coming to OCI, should we reach out to them first?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Is there any difference in outcome (i.e. getting screeners & CBs) between applying to firms that require an online application versus applying to firms that want you to email the recruiter? For now, I've only applied to those firms that require an online application, and am now thinking that might have been a mistake (the thought being that an online application has a very slim chance of being reviewed; emailing documents to the recruiter has a slight chance of being reviewed).

Is this supported? Does a firm's application method affect whether your application is reviewed / acted upon?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any difference in outcome (i.e. getting screeners & CBs) between applying to firms that require an online application versus applying to firms that want you to email the recruiter? For now, I've only applied to those firms that require an online application, and am now thinking that might have been a mistake (the thought being that an online application has a very slim chance of being reviewed; emailing documents to the recruiter has a slight chance of being reviewed).

Is this supported? Does a firm's application method affect whether your application is reviewed / acted upon?
so you ignored all firms that didn't have an online application? seems like a silly decision

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Once again, you guys don't have anything more important to do with your time than to mass blast apps out into the void. The only thing more important that you could be doing is actually going to screeners/callbacks, prepping for screeners and callbacks that you already have lined up, and prepping for OCI. That's it. Literally everything else is secondary. Your unpaid 1L internship is secondary. Sleep is secondary. Playing Call of Duty is secondary.

By all means prioritize your life however you see fit. But people do get positive results from directly applying to recruiters. This thread is a monument to that. So there is no reason to try and talk yourself out of applying to a place because you think it might be a waste of time.

Mass mail first, think later.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Mail everyone, bro.

Stop thinking.

Start mailing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justkeepswimming794

New

Post by justkeepswimming794 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 am

Kratos wrote:

fwiw, I was dinged at a preselect schools OCI and I got an interview through mass mail with the same firm & office. maybe not the best use of time to mass mail the firms you've been dinged at, but I don't see how it could hurt - really nothing to lose imo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 am

justkeepswimming794 wrote:
Kratos wrote:

fwiw, I was dinged at a preselect schools OCI and I got an interview through mass mail with the same firm & office. maybe not the best use of time to mass mail the firms you've been dinged at, but I don't see how it could hurt - really nothing to lose imo
I was dinged preselect at OCI as well. I freaked out and emailed a firm asking if they would look at my resume again. I already have an interview scheduled with them for later this week before OCI even begins. I'm keeping this anon because my school would not be happy to hear that I am basically being a friendly stalker to firms. What is the worst they can say, no? They've already done that so you can't lose. Also, I called a few places which I know people say not to do and the recruiting departments seemed excited and pleased that I had called rather than just emailing. I have a few interviews set up from that as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:05 pm

How do you word an email to a recruiter after you didn't get a firm at OCI through bidding?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you word an email to a recruiter after you didn't get a firm at OCI through bidding?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”