Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
grand inquisitor

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:16 pm

follow up now by phone

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

acijku2

Postby acijku2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:43 pm

crumb cake wrote:
twixt wrote:
crumb cake wrote:To clarify: we email the recruiting contact, but address the hiring attorney in the cover letter?

I've been addressing it to the recruiting contact. They're the one who reads it first and decides whether to even pass your info on. They may even be unilaterally making the decision to interview you. I don't get why everyone always advises people to try to bypass the recruiters. Firms literally employ these people for the sole purpose of finding lawyers to hire. The hiring attorney may have the final say after all is said and done, but the recruiter is your way in the door.

That's what I was thinking, but elsewhere on TLS people suggest addressing the cover letter to the hiring attorney.

Any other thoughts on this?

I've been sending to and addressing the recruiting contact listed on the firm's website.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:47 pm

I like to think nobody reads my cover letter anyways.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

crumb cake wrote:
twixt wrote:
crumb cake wrote:To clarify: we email the recruiting contact, but address the hiring attorney in the cover letter?

I've been addressing it to the recruiting contact. They're the one who reads it first and decides whether to even pass your info on. They may even be unilaterally making the decision to interview you. I don't get why everyone always advises people to try to bypass the recruiters. Firms literally employ these people for the sole purpose of finding lawyers to hire. The hiring attorney may have the final say after all is said and done, but the recruiter is your way in the door.

That's what I was thinking, but elsewhere on TLS people suggest addressing the cover letter to the hiring attorney.

Depends on who you're emailing. If it's a general email address like recruiting@firm.com and no recruiter's name is attached to it on the website, then I think you could address it to the hiring partner. But if it's a specific recruiter's email address, then you definitely address them.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
crumb cake wrote:
twixt wrote:

Depends on who you're emailing. If it's a general email address like recruiting@firm.com and no recruiter's name is attached to it on the website, then I think you could address it to the hiring partner. But if it's a specific recruiter's email address, then you definitely address them.

i know someone that works in Chicago biglaw recruiting department, his/her advice: don't matter who you address it to. Neither the recruiter listed on NALP or the hiring attorneys will read it. The recent college graduates working in that department are doing all the reading and initial sorting

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:28 pm

After we mail, should we be following up? If so, how soon afterwards, and by phone or by email?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Manteca wrote:After we mail, should we be following up? If so, how soon afterwards, and by phone or by email?

I'd follow up every 2-3 weeks by e-mail. Exception: if you're going to be in the area, particularly if it's short notice, I'd consider calling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 pm

What if we have nothing to update? No new jobs or journals or anything. Just say you're still interested and keeping in touch? Resend your original materials?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm

I probably wouldn't resend the same stuff (they should have it all on file). Just say you're still interested. Try to come up with reasons to update though. It doesn't have to be major. "I've attached my updated course schedule for this semester" is a decent excuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

hoos89 wrote:I probably wouldn't resend the same stuff (they should have it all on file). Just say you're still interested. Try to come up with reasons to update though. It doesn't have to be major. "I've attached my updated course schedule for this semester" is a decent excuse.

What about if you've simply re-formatted/updated your resume? Too much of a stretch?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Reformatting is not really an update. Unless there's something actually different about your resume I'd probably not do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:19 pm

Is anyone else getting an almost inordinate amount of auto-replies about maternity leave and vague "out of the offices."? Can't tell if recruiters are legitimately gone or if this is how they deal with mass mailing

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:21 pm

If you're getting auto replies then you should forward your app to either 1) the hiring partner or 2) the contact listed in the auto reply (if any).

PPL

Postby PPL » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm getting a few "we'll consider your application in August/upcoming months" replies. How do these turn out for folks? Anyone with similar experience in the past? Did it ever lead to anything?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't remember, and I'd be surprised if anyone could give you a definitive answer. Don't worry about it, and just follow up on August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Is it too late to mass mail NYC? I mailed my resume and transcripts yesterday and have gotten several rejections for interview requests from firms that I am above or around their GPA average. I had 3L's who have successfully mass mailed review my initial emails-- so don't think it was anything wrong with my email to the firms.

I'm above median at lower T-14 with work experience.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to mass mail NYC? I mailed my resume and transcripts yesterday and have gotten several rejections for interview requests from firms that I am above or around their GPA average. I had 3L's who have successfully mass mailed review my initial emails-- so don't think it was anything wrong with my email to the firms.

I'm above median at lower T-14 with work experience.

not too late at all. shit happens, keep at it.

justkeepswimming794

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:28 pm

got an interview through mass mail. it works! it works!
:lol:

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 am

Nice!

I love mass mailing so much, it's great.

acijku2

Postby acijku2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:48 am

BigZuck wrote:Nice!

I love mass mailing so much, it's great.

The Mass Mailing Gods see right through your false praise. Only with more sacrifice of emails and time will they be pleased.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:49 am

I bet he was being serious. OCI sucks, and skipping straight to callback = yay

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

PPL wrote:I'm getting a few "we'll consider your application in August/upcoming months" replies. How do these turn out for folks? Anyone with similar experience in the past? Did it ever lead to anything?

yes, i followed up in August and got an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

I started mass-mailing to NY this past weekend and I just sent out my 50th email. This takes a lot longer than I expected, but I am nowhere near done yet.

I am transferring from a school in the 70-80 range to a T20 (and waitlisted at T14). I am crossing my fingers that this works.

Return to “Legal Employment”