Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.

*The firm is V50.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm

When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.


I think the correct mentality is to approach every interaction with someone who works at the firm as though it were an interview. But I mean that in the sense of acting interested in the firm and being polite etc. As far as preparing, no I don't think you need to prepare for the phone call beyond coming up with a few intelligent questions to ask.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:49 pm

w7ldcard wrote:When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?


For the 2016 summer? Many people have already started. I've seen people (purportedly) with CB's already.

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 pm

w7ldcard wrote:When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?


Like, 3 weeks ago? I think between now and the end of July is a good time to start without worrying about it being too soon. I've already got one callback set up going outside of OCI.

Edit: scooped

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:52 pm

sandwhich wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?


Like, 3 weeks ago? I think between now and the end of July is a good time to start without worrying about it being too soon. I've already got one callback set up going outside of OCI.

Edit: scooped


Thanks!

SuperTrooper
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby SuperTrooper » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:33 pm

sandwhich wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?


Like, 3 weeks ago? I think between now and the end of July is a good time to start without worrying about it being too soon. I've already got one callback set up going outside of OCI.

Edit: scooped


Nice. Was it a non-OCI firm/office? Also, cover letter attached or in the body?

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Kratos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.

*The firm is V50.

be prepared for either

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:22 pm

SuperTrooper wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:When is too soon to begin mass mailing for the coming summer?


Like, 3 weeks ago? I think between now and the end of July is a good time to start without worrying about it being too soon. I've already got one callback set up going outside of OCI.

Edit: scooped


Nice. Was it a non-OCI firm/office? Also, cover letter attached or in the body?


No it was an OCI firm, but since I'm transferring I applied so that I could interview before leaving. And I attached my cover letter in a PDF with my resume and transcript. I put a short body in the email, where I also mentioned that I would supply a writing sample if they wanted one.

My recommendation would be to go to as many of these firm receptions that are going on as you can, find a current SA, talk to him/her and 9 times out of 10 they'll introduce you to somebody more important. I find this much easier and less awkward than randomly approaching some partner who's in the middle of a conversation with a group of 4 or 5 other people.

User avatar
Manteca
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Manteca » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.

*The firm is V50.

be prepared for either


My informational interview with a V100 partner (actually a lot higher than that, but vague for anonymity's sake) turned into an interview about halfway through, fwiw.

GGMcSwift
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby GGMcSwift » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm

I've read about people applying to like 500 firms for mass mail.

How is that even possible? Are there even that many firms that have summer programs (lots of midsize firms don't) or are people just cold emailing firms and asking them if they need help next summer?

Or is the only way to get to that number to apply to many of the top firms but in several different offices each?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Manteca wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.

*The firm is V50.

be prepared for either


My informational interview with a V100 partner (actually a lot higher than that, but vague for anonymity's sake) turned into an interview about halfway through, fwiw.


So how did it go? What happened after the interview?

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm

GGMcSwift wrote:I've read about people applying to like 500 firms for mass mail.

How is that even possible? Are there even that many firms that have summer programs (lots of midsize firms don't) or are people just cold emailing firms and asking them if they need help next summer?

Or is the only way to get to that number to apply to many of the top firms but in several different offices each?


I think even from a very pro-mass mailing perspective that's an absurd number. While it's impossible to tailor an application to every firm, I think 50 well tailored applications would receive just as many interview invited as 500 generic ones.

And fwiw I think you're off to a good start just by being in this thread and showing concern about how to go about mass mailing. Most of my friends haven't even added their 1L WE to their resumes yet or even thought about mass mailing.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:27 pm

sandwhich wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:I've read about people applying to like 500 firms for mass mail.

How is that even possible? Are there even that many firms that have summer programs (lots of midsize firms don't) or are people just cold emailing firms and asking them if they need help next summer?

Or is the only way to get to that number to apply to many of the top firms but in several different offices each?


I think even from a very pro-mass mailing perspective that's an absurd number. While it's impossible to tailor an application to every firm, I think 50 well tailored applications would receive just as many interview invited as 500 generic ones.

And fwiw I think you're off to a good start just by being in this thread and showing concern about how to go about mass mailing. Most of my friends haven't even added their 1L WE to their resumes yet or even thought about mass mailing.

No one I've talked to even knows what mass mailing is.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 pm

sandwhich wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:I've read about people applying to like 500 firms for mass mail.

How is that even possible? Are there even that many firms that have summer programs (lots of midsize firms don't) or are people just cold emailing firms and asking them if they need help next summer?

Or is the only way to get to that number to apply to many of the top firms but in several different offices each?


I think even from a very pro-mass mailing perspective that's an absurd number. While it's impossible to tailor an application to every firm, I think 50 well tailored applications would receive just as many interview invited as 500 generic ones.

And fwiw I think you're off to a good start just by being in this thread and showing concern about how to go about mass mailing. Most of my friends haven't even added their 1L WE to their resumes yet or even thought about mass mailing.


Yeah but there's nothing to stop you from essentially tranching your applications. To your top X firms, you customize much more. And then as you get lower on your list you can customize less. 50 is not a reasonable number for a mass-mail campaign at all. That's not even most of the major firms in NYC alone.

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sandwhich » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:34 am

hoos89 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:I've read about people applying to like 500 firms for mass mail.

How is that even possible? Are there even that many firms that have summer programs (lots of midsize firms don't) or are people just cold emailing firms and asking them if they need help next summer?

Or is the only way to get to that number to apply to many of the top firms but in several different offices each?


I think even from a very pro-mass mailing perspective that's an absurd number. While it's impossible to tailor an application to every firm, I think 50 well tailored applications would receive just as many interview invited as 500 generic ones.

And fwiw I think you're off to a good start just by being in this thread and showing concern about how to go about mass mailing. Most of my friends haven't even added their 1L WE to their resumes yet or even thought about mass mailing.


Yeah but there's nothing to stop you from essentially tranching your applications. To your top X firms, you customize much more. And then as you get lower on your list you can customize less. 50 is not a reasonable number for a mass-mail campaign at all. That's not even most of the major firms in NYC alone.


You're absolutely right and I wasn't intending to be literal, but I know that's hard to read through text.

GGMcSwift
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby GGMcSwift » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:41 am

So what is a reasonable mass mail number?

I am only interested in NY. I would rather not have a 2L SA job lined up than move cities. So how many firms even have a NY SA program? I'm sure it's less than 200.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 am

Just use whatever resources are available to you - NALP, Vault, Resume Launchpad, Martingale, and it'll just happen. Even if someone did tell you that there are exactly 168 firms in NYC who have SA programs, you'll still have to compile the list yourself. Whether you come up with 158 firms or 178 firms... what difference does it make?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:06 am

Also you don't need to know they have a summer program before applying. The worst that happens if they don't is they tell you they don't have a summer program but thanks for your interest.

GGMcSwift
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby GGMcSwift » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:29 am

That is a huge waste of time when a simple few clicks on their website will tell you if they have a program or not.

The point I'm making is, for someone like me, who is interested only in one city, mass mailing means not sending out many emails. Assuming I don't apply to the firms coming to my OCI, there are just not many left.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:59 am

A) firm websites aren't always 100% accurate and B) it really doesn't take that long to mass-mail. I doubt any firm that didn't have a summer program will be high on your list, so you would be sending out cover letters to them with relatively little customization.

Also, bear in mind that NYC is the easiest market to lateral into. There's also a possibility of getting something 3L if you get an offer from a 2L SA in another city, or moving from satellite office to NYC office.
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6763
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Kratos » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:27 pm

GGMcSwift wrote:That is a huge waste of time when a simple few clicks on their website will tell you if they have a program or not.

The point I'm making is, for someone like me, who is interested only in one city, mass mailing means not sending out many emails. Assuming I don't apply to the firms coming to my OCI, there are just not many left.

why are you arguing about this? we get it, you only want NYC so the majority of the advice here doesn't apply, so don't listen to it. your initial question is impossible to answer because there is no "reasonable" mass mail number, different shit works for different people. hoos is offering his opinion that your strategy might be short sighted and I agree. I dunno your circumstances so whatever, but I know I wasn't doing anything that important last summer which made mass mailing a huge time burden.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, I sent an email to a partner (alum) who hosted a reception back in spring at my school asking him if he can tell me about his work and the firm in general. I just got an email today from a recruiting director who wants to set up a phone call to "speak to [me] about our firm."

In email, I mentioned that I landed a screening interview through bidding process and also attached my resume and transcript for reference.

Is it just going to be an informational phone call telling me about the firm? Or should I take this as an early screening interview or some sort? I really think it's the former but just wanted to make sure if I should prepare for an interview.

*The firm is V50.


OP here, it looks like I will be just talking to a recruiting director, not an associate or a partner. :? i guess it is just an informational phone call after all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:09 pm

If I mailed firms last weekend, when should I typically expect to hear back from them? Is it too early?
I just want to get an idea of what I should expect so I'm not checking my email every 5 minutes like a crazy person.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Kratos wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:That is a huge waste of time when a simple few clicks on their website will tell you if they have a program or not.

The point I'm making is, for someone like me, who is interested only in one city, mass mailing means not sending out many emails. Assuming I don't apply to the firms coming to my OCI, there are just not many left.

why are you arguing about this? we get it, you only want NYC so the majority of the advice here doesn't apply, so don't listen to it. your initial question is impossible to answer because there is no "reasonable" mass mail number, different shit works for different people. hoos is offering his opinion that your strategy might be short sighted and I agree. I dunno your circumstances so whatever, but I know I wasn't doing anything that important last summer which made mass mailing a huge time burden.


Play the odds. You certainly could get lucky and get a call back and offer on sending a single mass mailer (i guess that wouldn't even be "mass"), but that isn't very likely. Might as well spend an extra 6-8 hours and send 100 more. Once the hiring period is over, its over. Can't go back and send the extra emails


Anonymous User wrote:If I mailed firms last weekend, when should I typically expect to hear back from them? Is it too early?
I just want to get an idea of what I should expect so I'm not checking my email every 5 minutes like a crazy person.


Most will probably not respond. No need to sit and wait for replies; they will come in time.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.