Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Holy shit, it works! NYC V20 callback through mass mail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Wow, that's early. When did you mail and what is your school and rank (approximate)?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Good stuff, nice job anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, that's early. When did you mail and what is your school and rank (approximate)?

I mailed at the end of June. T-10, and I'm probably ranked just around median or slightly above. Not IP or URM. Pretty surprised by the invite, to tell the truth.

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:49 pm

good job, congrats! inspiring me to send some out by this weekend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:00 pm

Our school has not released journal info yet and is not expected to until next week. Should I mail this week and then update when I've heard back from journals or wait to mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Our school has not released journal info yet and is not expected to until next week. Should I mail this week and then update when I've heard back from journals or wait to mail?

bump from a different anon.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Wait if it's only a week away.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 pm

BizBro wrote:good job, congrats! inspiring me to send some out by this weekend.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Is it a bad idea to send out a cover letter without having it critiqued by an OCS counselor?

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm

sandwhich wrote:Is it a bad idea to send out a cover letter without having it critiqued by an OCS counselor?

no. just try to avoid typos and other silly little errors.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks. I sent it off anyway for OCI purposes and they responded within 30 minutes (loving my OCS right now).

I have another nit-picky question:
I've seen that people don't like sending stuff in a certain times (due to inferences based on office mechanics). It's currently 3:45 here, should I wait untill tomorrow morning to send it so it doesn't end up at the bottom of 100 emails between now and the time it's seen? Or should I just ship it off now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:56 pm

I've seen that people don't like sending stuff in a certain times (due to inferences based on office mechanics). It's currently 3:45 here, should I wait untill tomorrow morning to send it so it doesn't end up at the bottom of 100 emails between now and the time it's seen? Or should I just ship it off now?

I've been cold emailing alumni, and so far have found that the ones I email in the morning respond fairly quickly (assuming they respond) while those I emailed in the afternoon have not responded at all. Have no idea what this means, or if it has to do with who I'm emailing, but take it for what its worth.

Sidenote, definitely email alumni. The ones who respond have been pretty enthusiastic about meeting with me/asking for my resume

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've been cold emailing alumni, and so far have found that the ones I email in the morning respond fairly quickly (assuming they respond) while those I emailed in the afternoon have not responded at all. Have no idea what this means, or if it has to do with who I'm emailing, but take it for what its worth.

Sidenote, definitely email alumni. The ones who respond have been pretty enthusiastic about meeting with me/asking for my resume

Yes I think I'll just wait to the morning.

For the one I plan on sending tomorrow, the hiring partner happens to be an alum who invited me personally to apply. But for my other apps, when you say "email alumni," do you mean CC'ing them or just emailing seperately to let them know you're submitting your app?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Don't cc alumni to your application. I think that would be weird. Separate email and try not to be too forward about it (fine line to walk, I know).

Also to the journal question: I'm not sure I'd wait if you're ready to send now. Just follow up in two weeks to tell them your journal (I know that's a week after you get it, but I think it's better to spread your communications out a bit) and mention that it's pending in your cover letter.

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:08 pm

sandwhich wrote:Is it a bad idea to send out a cover letter without having it critiqued by an OCS counselor?

Our OCS is useless, so I would say it's probably ok.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 pm

So I sent a mass mail out to a secondary market firm in the south I'm very interested in. Got an email from the recruiter asking if I'll be in town soon. I replied I'll be in town for a week at the end of the month. No response for a few days now. Anyone know what is happening? did the recruiter lose interest? Anyone been in similar situation?

Those of you with call backs--did you get a screen call first or is it straight to call backs?

-T10, medianish

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm

For OCI I bid heavy NYC with a few in the other big market I would like to work in. Is it appropriate to mass mail the offices in my alternate market of firms that I have bid for OCI? Can't seem to find any advice on this so any would be appreciated.

twixt

Postby twixt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 am

So I've been contacting attorneys in offices I'm interested in, and have had a few respond and seem interested. However, sometimes they don't respond to an email mid-conversation (for example, I had an attorney ask me for a resume and my availability to meet up in the next week, then not respond when I sent them). I assume they just got caught up in something and forgot about me, should I send a follow up email a few days later or just let it go? Don't want to come off as pushy, what is the best thing to do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:40 pm

So if you are trying to return to a hometown market, the CW is to put your permanent address on the resume. How far away from your "home" market does this extend?

For example, say you grew up in Iowa and are applying to Chicago/Twin Cities firms. Does it still make sense to do this, or is it better suited for a cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:32 am

nvm, read the question wrong

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does day of the week matter for mass-mailing? My draft folder is full of emails ready to be sent. Wait until tomorrow or is sending them on a Sunday ok? Worried the recruiter is less likely to read if they get it on a Sunday and then forget about it.

Ok, I can't tell if this is real concern or not. I have a shit ton of drafts ready to go. Should I send them now or wait until the morning (or maybe the middle of the week)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 pm

What should I say in the body of the email if I am attaching my cover letter of a PDF? Should I just say that I have attached my resume, cover letter, and transcript?

Also, should I always attach a writing sample and reference list?

Thank you in advance.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Checking back in after a LONG hiatus.

Can someone point me to some resources to catch me up to speed on mass mailing? Assume I know zero. I need to know the when/where/how. Especially the how and what.

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Is there a place I can pre-download a template set up for mail merge?

Return to “Legal Employment”