Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV
I wouldn't put it in the subject line unless it's good. A bad GPA in the subject line is less likely to get a look. Sure they'll have to see it eventually, but you want to at least give them something to like about you before they see a bad GPA.
True true. you can also put things like "top third" or "top 10%" or "15/340" or whatever you have to get them to open it.
Just because I think this thread needs WAY more arguing, the only place I put my GPA was on my resume. And nothing about ranking at all.

I got like 8 screeners from mass mailing that way. Putting GPA or ranking in the subject line seems really bizarre to me but YMMV as always.
I put percentile rank in the subject line and it worked quite well. I think it helps make your e-mail stand out a bit among the flood of resumes they're likely receiving. Obviously neither of us know what would have happened if we'd used the other tactic, but I don't think it's likely to hurt you on average if you put your (good) rank on the subject line. You're a job applicant; you're supposed to do a little self promotion. You're e-mailing a law firm recruiter not posting to Facebook.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 pm

If you're below median and mass mailing do you include your transcript along with your CL and resume?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're below median and mass mailing do you include your transcript along with your CL and resume?
probly. they're gonna see your gpa on your resume anyway

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're below median and mass mailing do you include your transcript along with your CL and resume?
Quoted anon here. I'm at a T10 that doesn't allow us to list our GPA on our resume.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Quoted anon here. I'm at a T10 that doesn't allow us to list our GPA on our resume.
You can just say Penn. I would probably not include your transcript then. Gives you a better chance of at least getting your foot in the door with a CB or screener, if your resume is strong, at which point you can hand them your transcript and hope your personality is enough to get them to ignore it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 pm

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You can just say Penn. I would probably not include your transcript then. Gives you a better chance of at least getting your foot in the door with a CB or screener, if your resume is strong, at which point you can hand them your transcript and hope your personality is enough to get them to ignore it.
Tangent, but how "not allowed" is it? We can't list it, in the sense that Career Services will make you take it off for resumes submitted through Symplicity. But does Penn police mass mails?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm

MCFC wrote:
ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tangent, but how "not allowed" is it? We can't list it, in the sense that Career Services will make you take it off for resumes submitted through Symplicity. But does Penn police mass mails?
They seem to have relaxed some of the threatening language this year. But you can't actually know your GPA, and "misrepresenting" your grades on your resume is grounds for expulsion. Do you really want to take the risk of some employer calling the school rather than just abiding by the policy?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Sure, agreed (particularly in this case). I was just generally curious if they attempted to enforce it.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 pm

MCFC wrote:Sure, agreed (particularly in this case). I was just generally curious if they attempted to enforce it.
Yeah I have no idea if it's ever happened.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 pm

So if a firm comes to OCI and they only interview for office X, but you're also interested in office Y, should office Y be a part of your mass mailing list? What are the chances that office X and Y will find out I'm interested in working at either office?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if a firm comes to OCI and they only interview for office X, but you're also interested in office Y, should office Y be a part of your mass mailing list? What are the chances that office X and Y will find out I'm interested in working at either office?
probably minimal unless they have the same recruiter for both offices. i'd mass mail the one that's not coming. but i'm just a 3L so grain of salt. also not sure anon was necessary here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:00 am

For massmailing, is it recommended to put your gpa in your tag line or not? Maybe in the text of the email? I have a decent g.p.a >3.6, but I don't want to come across off putting.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For massmailing, is it recommended to put your gpa in your tag line or not? Maybe in the text of the email? I have a decent g.p.a >3.6, but I don't want to come across off putting.
This was literally discussed on the last page and opinions differed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 pm

When is TCR on starting mass mailing? Would early July be too early?
What goes in the subject line of the email? What should you put in the body without restating your cover letter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:48 am

Seconded in the subject line situation. GPA isn't good enough to put it in there as discussed above...how about "Adorable Penn Student needs money for beer"?

Also any consensus on transcript inclusion? As stated my grades are bad - below median at Penn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:56 am

Also how can I find out if the firms I'm mailing through NALP even have a summer program? Is it important?

If I were to just mass mail every firm is X city and see what sticks are there any potential downsides to that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:10 am

If you only have ties to one city (NYC), but are mass mailing in markets (LA, SF, etc.), how should you approach the email? Should it be different or keep it standard?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buddhabelly

New

Post by buddhabelly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 am

Anyone have any issues with using an email other than your school email to mass mail? I ask because linking up my school email to outlook appears to be a pain in the ass, so I thought I would just hook up my regular gmail account. My resume still has my school email on it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am

Most of these questions can honestly answered with: do what you're must comfortable with, but I do think it's a good idea to use a .edu address, especially if you go to a good school.

Also, I don't think July 1 is too early, provided that you follow up in late July/early August.

AceDeuces

Bronze

Post by AceDeuces » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:16 pm

buddhabelly wrote:Anyone have any issues with using an email other than your school email to mass mail? I ask because linking up my school email to outlook appears to be a pain in the ass, so I thought I would just hook up my regular gmail account. My resume still has my school email on it.

You can use gmail and use the "reply to" feature so that replies are sent to your school email. I think your email still will say "From: you@gmail" however, so this advice might be completely unhelpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 am

Has any one had any experience personally / have knowledge through friends of strategies to get screeners when bottom half of the class? if you interview really well and have other extra curricular / experience going for you but are below the median for your class- is there anything you can do to make your resume/cover letter stand out of the crowd? :/

Any anecdotal advice for success (or even slightly better chances) with this would be much appreciated.

ETA: I go to a t20, fwiw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has any one had any experience personally / have knowledge through friends of strategies to get screeners when bottom half of the class? if you interview really well and have other extra curricular / experience going for you but are below the median for your class- is there anything you can do to make your resume/cover letter stand out of the crowd? :/

Any anecdotal advice for success (or even slightly better chances) with this would be much appreciated.

ETA: I go to a t20, fwiw.
I'd try to reach out to alums ASAP. The people I know who still did fine despite poor grades had some unique background that made them attractive or they networked hard.

buddhabelly

New

Post by buddhabelly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 am

I'm worried about the potential negatives of mass mailing different markets. I really want CA and have NYC for backup since my grades are meh, but I was going to mass mail Texas and DC and Chicago as well just to play the odds. Do firms understand the need to cover all bases when mass mailing, or will they look suspiciously at me for blanketing all the markets willy nilly.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:45 am

buddhabelly wrote:I'm worried about the potential negatives of mass mailing different markets. I really want CA and have NYC for backup since my grades are meh, but I was going to mass mail Texas and DC and Chicago as well just to play the odds. Do firms understand the need to cover all bases when mass mailing, or will they look suspiciously at me for blanketing all the markets willy nilly.
As long as you're not mass mailing multiple offices of the same firm I don't see how they would know

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”