Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:31 am

hoos89 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:When should rising 2Ls start mass mailing? Also, is there a negative to doing it early?


Early July, and then follow up in early August. You don't know which firms are looking early, and it's a huge plus if you can get in a few screeners/callbacks before OCI even starts.

Yeah I figured this will be most helpful for a secondary market that I'm targeting. Thanks!

User avatar
rahulg91
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby rahulg91 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:07 am

ymmv wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I got like 10 screeners from about 200-300 mass mailing emails and a couple callbacks. No offers but that's my fault for having a bad personality, it's not the concept of mass mailing's fault.


Is there a good guide to mass mailing on TLS? Sorry I'm bad at searching.


There's not much to know, really. Have your letters/resume ready to go in July. Write cover letters basically the same way you wrote 1L cover letters, and tailor them to each market. Pull firms from https://www.nalpdirectory.com and mail merge them into your cover letter template. Follow up with more mailing after bidding results to firms you failed to get OCI interviews with (they will likely offer to meet you at OCI anyway, or may just send you directly to callbacks if they like your resume).


Thanks a ton! One more Q, is there a place other than NALP Directory to find firms? For example, Boies isn't on NALP (and I'm sure many other firms) for my purposes I'm just looking for "biglaw" in major markets.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12908
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby ymmv » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:11 am

rahulg91 wrote:
ymmv wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I got like 10 screeners from about 200-300 mass mailing emails and a couple callbacks. No offers but that's my fault for having a bad personality, it's not the concept of mass mailing's fault.


Is there a good guide to mass mailing on TLS? Sorry I'm bad at searching.


There's not much to know, really. Have your letters/resume ready to go in July. Write cover letters basically the same way you wrote 1L cover letters, and tailor them to each market. Pull firms from https://www.nalpdirectory.com and mail merge them into your cover letter template. Follow up with more mailing after bidding results to firms you failed to get OCI interviews with (they will likely offer to meet you at OCI anyway, or may just send you directly to callbacks if they like your resume).


Thanks a ton! One more Q, is there a place other than NALP Directory to find firms? For example, Boies isn't on NALP (and I'm sure many other firms) for my purposes I'm just looking for "biglaw" in major markets.



If a firm isn't on NALP it probably isn't what most people would call biglaw, but you could try Chambers and regional databases I guess? Your school probably has some in the careers section of its website. Or you could just use google and enter firm info into your spreadsheet manually.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:28 am

..

jamesm722
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby jamesm722 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Just sent about 1000 mass-mails emails to big and mid-size firms in NY, MA, and DC. Someone better screen me.

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Devlin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
ymmv wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I got like 10 screeners from about 200-300 mass mailing emails and a couple callbacks. No offers but that's my fault for having a bad personality, it's not the concept of mass mailing's fault.


Is there a good guide to mass mailing on TLS? Sorry I'm bad at searching.


There's not much to know, really. Have your letters/resume ready to go in July. Write cover letters basically the same way you wrote 1L cover letters, and tailor them to each market. Pull firms from https://www.nalpdirectory.com and mail merge them into your cover letter template. Follow up with more mailing after bidding results to firms you failed to get OCI interviews with (they will likely offer to meet you at OCI anyway, or may just send you directly to callbacks if they like your resume).


Thanks a ton! One more Q, is there a place other than NALP Directory to find firms? For example, Boies isn't on NALP (and I'm sure many other firms) for my purposes I'm just looking for "biglaw" in major markets.


Google and Martindale.

DCESQ
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby DCESQ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:19 pm

The general info on here is to target several markets (ones with ties are preferable) and as many as you can stomach. How does this change if you are transferring from a lower ranked regional school to a higher ranked school in the same place? For example, a lower ranked DC school (not G/G) would it make sense to apply to NYC? Boston? NJ? DE? (no ties to any).

Obviously grades are good enough to transfer out but other than papering DMV and Baltimore with apps I don't think I would have a great shot in some of those other markets.

Thanks!

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 pm

..

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:45 pm

DCESQ wrote:The general info on here is to target several markets (ones with ties are preferable) and as many as you can stomach. How does this change if you are transferring from a lower ranked regional school to a higher ranked school in the same place? For example, a lower ranked DC school (not G/G) would it make sense to apply to NYC? Boston? NJ? DE? (no ties to any).

Obviously grades are good enough to transfer out but other than papering DMV and Baltimore with apps I don't think I would have a great shot in some of those other markets.

Thanks!

I guess the question is "What would you prefer to do in the time you would be spending mass mailing?"

If you want even more time to Facebook or read Buzzfeed, then don't bother applying anywhere and everywhere.

I think the conventional wisdom on TLS is to mass blast those apps because you're in law school to get a job and there is little effort needed to mass blast, with potentially very high rewards. I think the smart thing to do is apply everywhere, but you need to prioritize how you spend your time because at the end of the day its your life and you only get to live it once.

User avatar
justkeepswimming794
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:54 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:41 pm

sublime wrote:Or resumelaunchpad


how many people have used this service or a similar one? any horror stories of errors or is it pretty reliable? makes me nervous to do something like this for fear the site messes up and sends the wrong firm name to the firms, etc

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 15, 2015 12:57 am

justkeepswimming794 wrote:
sublime wrote:Or resumelaunchpad


how many people have used this service or a similar one? any horror stories of errors or is it pretty reliable? makes me nervous to do something like this for fear the site messes up and sends the wrong firm name to the firms, etc

I tried to use it and kept getting an insurmountable (at least for me) error. I could be wrong but I don't think it has been updated for a few years. For what it is, it's supposed to be accurate though. People have, at the very least, used it to get a list of firms together to mass mail.

I didn't use it and had a lot of success from mass mailing but YMMV. It might be kind of time consuming but NALP+Martindale+Google can get you where you want to go and, honestly, you don't have anything better to do 1L summer anyway so it's not like your time is really at a premium.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Sat May 16, 2015 11:41 am

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273084
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Is there a credited way to delay sending emails in outlook or my schools gmail client? I've tried scheduling for delayed delivery in outlook but that requires your computer to stay on throughout the day apparently.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12908
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby ymmv » Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a credited way to delay sending emails in outlook or my schools gmail client? I've tried scheduling for delayed delivery in outlook but that requires your computer to stay on throughout the day apparently.


Can't you just use Boomerang for Gmail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273084
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a credited way to delay sending emails in outlook or my schools gmail client? I've tried scheduling for delayed delivery in outlook but that requires your computer to stay on throughout the day apparently.


Can't you just use Boomerang for Gmail?

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:24 pm

For these mass mailings, are people putting the cover letter in the body of the email or as an attachment?

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:For these mass mailings, are people putting the cover letter in the body of the email or as an attachment?

I did it as an attachment but people will probably argue about this for like a page now

YMMV

Anonymous User
Posts: 273084
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:41 pm

edited: decided to ask this question in another thread

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby foundingfather » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:18 pm

tag

FSK
Posts: 6336
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby FSK » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:55 pm

no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:30 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV


I wouldn't put it in the subject line unless it's good. A bad GPA in the subject line is less likely to get a look. Sure they'll have to see it eventually, but you want to at least give them something to like about you before they see a bad GPA.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8471
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby MCFC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:For these mass mailings, are people putting the cover letter in the body of the email or as an attachment?

I did it as an attachment but people will probably argue about this for like a page now

YMMV

Just so you get the page of arguing that you were promised, I preferred to do it in the body of the email.

Mine was pretty short though.

FSK
Posts: 6336
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby FSK » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:42 pm

hoos89 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV


I wouldn't put it in the subject line unless it's good. A bad GPA in the subject line is less likely to get a look. Sure they'll have to see it eventually, but you want to at least give them something to like about you before they see a bad GPA.


True true. you can also put things like "top third" or "top 10%" or "15/340" or whatever you have to get them to open it.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:44 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV


I wouldn't put it in the subject line unless it's good. A bad GPA in the subject line is less likely to get a look. Sure they'll have to see it eventually, but you want to at least give them something to like about you before they see a bad GPA.


True true. you can also put things like "top third" or "top 10%" or "15/340" or whatever you have to get them to open it.


Not if you also aren't ranked highly (which people with bad GPAs often are not). Also top 1/3 at most schools isn't something that will help you get in the door at most firms.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:30 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:no matter what you do, the first thing recruiters look at is your GPA. Make sure to put that somewhere easily visible. I had excellent results putting it in the subject line. YMMV


I wouldn't put it in the subject line unless it's good. A bad GPA in the subject line is less likely to get a look. Sure they'll have to see it eventually, but you want to at least give them something to like about you before they see a bad GPA.


True true. you can also put things like "top third" or "top 10%" or "15/340" or whatever you have to get them to open it.

Just because I think this thread needs WAY more arguing, the only place I put my GPA was on my resume. And nothing about ranking at all.

I got like 8 screeners from mass mailing that way. Putting GPA or ranking in the subject line seems really bizarre to me but YMMV as always.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.