Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: Best bet is to just mail, baby, mail

Will do.

I get responses from firms, but so far it's just been 'Please apply online.'



Same, its been frustrating. Just got one asking which offices interest me with a list of their offices. Not sure how to approach this though.

combination of biggest summer class and where you have the best ties, I would think, but if it's a place that is cool with expressing interest in multiple offices, say a few as long as there's some geographical sense to it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Just got my fourth pre-OCI callback lined up. Mass mailing works wonders - all four were firms I tried and failed to bid on through my school's OCI lottery. One of them I just mailed this past weekend, and I plan to keep mailing whenever I have free time (lol) throughout OCI.

T14 above median but below LR grade-on. All callbacks are a large regional market (DC/Chicago/Philadelphia/LA/SF). Have sent ~80 cover letters, will be about 100 after tonight.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 pm

..

User avatar
Robb
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Robb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 pm

How do I manage to fuck this shit up so much. Just sent out an email and copied it from another email that I had searched for, so firm name was highlighted. Pasted it, Flux was on so didn't realize that replaced firm name was also highlighted. Sent with highlighted firm names. Ugh.

User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Druid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:20 am

Robb wrote:How do I manage to fuck this shit up so much. Just sent out an email and copied it from another email that I had searched for, so firm name was highlighted. Pasted it, Flux was on so didn't realize that replaced firm name was also highlighted. Sent with highlighted firm names. Ugh.


LOL. I forgot to send attachments with my cover letters once when I was mass mailing a market. That market was New York.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby soj » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:23 am

before law school, i sent investment banks cover letters addressed to competitors. all you can do is laugh at yourself, fix your mistake, and never make it again.

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 pm

One thing law school taught me very quickly, and especially now during mass-mailing, is to accept rejection and failure. Embrace it, learn from it, and get better.

Or just go drink. Either one.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:One thing law school taught me very quickly, and especially now during mass-mailing, is to accept rejection and failure. Embrace it, learn from it, and get better.

Or just go drink. Either one.

Mass-mailing rejection is the most painless. Totally not personal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Another mass mailing works story: V25 straight to callback, offered on the spot. Top third at T20. Nothing but auto-rejects from every other mass mail - it only takes one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailinghis migh

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 pm

V20 and V100 callbacks this week after phone screeners. Top 35% CCN.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:39 pm

MM success story: V50 straight to callback & offered within 3 business days.

DCNG top 30% with write on LR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Do you generally include transcripts when mass mailing? Or just resumes/CLs?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you generally include transcripts when mass mailing? Or just resumes/CLs?


You absolutely should include your transcripts. What other way to firms have to measure your relative worth?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 pm

about 100 firms mailed

2 callbacks, 1 phone screener, 15 rejections so far

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

If I haven't heard from a couple firms that I like after OCI, but expect a ding, is it 100% futile to mail or is there a slight chance? I'm competitive for both on grades, but came off poorly in the screeners. If it's not completely futile, what gives the best odds?

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby ymmv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I haven't heard from a couple firms that I like after OCI, but expect a ding, is it 100% futile to mail or is there a slight chance? I'm competitive for both on grades, but came off poorly in the screeners. If it's not completely futile, what gives the best odds?


I don't think mailing to express continued interest is appropriate or helpful for firms you've already screened with, though it might be appropriate after a callback and a few weeks of silence. Purely IMO.

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby FSK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:01 pm

So many firms this summer now only accept online applications. This has to be bad for mass-mailing law students. There has to be a higher chance your app just goes into a black hole, or never sees a human's eyes based on GPA/School filtering.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby ymmv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:07 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:So many firms this summer now only accept online applications. This has to be bad for mass-mailing law students. There has to be a higher chance your app just goes into a black hole, or never sees a human's eyes based on GPA/School filtering.


I think this thread contains plenty of evidence that mass mailing is still worth the effort, even if online apps have reduced the ROI slightly. I received almost a third of my CBs through them.

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby FSK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:10 pm

ymmv wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:So many firms this summer now only accept online applications. This has to be bad for mass-mailing law students. There has to be a higher chance your app just goes into a black hole, or never sees a human's eyes based on GPA/School filtering.


I think this thread contains plenty of evidence that mass mailing is still worth the effort, even if online apps have reduced the ROI slightly. I received almost a third of my CBs through them.


I did it (currently over 100 sent, and I've gotten results), but every time I filled one out I didn't feel good about it.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:12 pm

..

FSK
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby FSK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 pm

sublime wrote:Too late to continue to massmail? Considering making a big push this weekend, but am I too late? Have I fucked myself in that portion of the job search.


I just got a massmail CB today. YMMV

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby sublime » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 pm

..

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Definitely not too late. Some firms haven't even looked at write in apps yet.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7299
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:45 pm

People were getting results from mass mailing in October last year. It's not even close to too late in mid-August.

User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: TLSers (You) are aspie; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Druid » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm

And the worst that happened is you waste some time. Get on it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.