Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm I would love to work out posted a 2L SA on my school spring OCI. I meet their criteria, but the catch is they are full summer only and I already have a gig for 4 weeks min - 6 weeks max.

I'm thinking about bidding and if everything goes perfectly (which in itself is very, very doubtful) try and urge them to let me work a little less than full summer.

Any idea on how successful I could be asking for a few weeks less than full summer. If they would budge on two weeks I could probably do both and take the 4 weeks min on the other firm I have.

Get the offer, come back and start a thread (or pm me). We will puzzle through it then. For now just interview brilliantly.

Will do. I do have a pre interview question though - if they ask if I'm available full summer or anything along those lines what should I say?

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm

BostonLove wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Congrats!
Completely stupid misuse of anon.

Sorry, I had intended to post more information than that (and which was my reason for using anon) and then changed my mind (but clearly forgot I had pressed anon).

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm I would love to work out posted a 2L SA on my school spring OCI. I meet their criteria, but the catch is they are full summer only and I already have a gig for 4 weeks min - 6 weeks max.

I'm thinking about bidding and if everything goes perfectly (which in itself is very, very doubtful) try and urge them to let me work a little less than full summer.

Any idea on how successful I could be asking for a few weeks less than full summer. If they would budge on two weeks I could probably do both and take the 4 weeks min on the other firm I have.

Get the offer, come back and start a thread (or pm me). We will puzzle through it then. For now just interview brilliantly.

Will do. I do have a pre interview question though - if they ask if I'm available full summer or anything along those lines what should I say?

I don't think I've ever had that question at an interview. The closest I've had was whether I would be available for a full work week during the summer. I would probably say that I have something short term already, but I did not think it would be a conflict. (Of course, if you know the dates for both and they do conflict, that won't work.)

I would guess that this would be more of a problem if the two weeks you need them to budge on are in the beginning of the firm's summer program. Most of the places I saw that discouraged but would deal with split summers said you had to do the beginning of their program.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Just bid on a boutique firm that fits perfectly w/ my interests and resume. Wish me luck brothers. Interview would be in a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Got an offer today with a large in house that runs a summer legal program similar to firm programs. Trying to sort some things out (on my end) but obviously probably taking it. Thanks to everyone on here who has helped just by being in the same boat and/or encouraging. I hope this encourages others - there are places interviewing (between January and this week, I've had ~5 interviews with more lined up) and giving out offers (and good positions at that!).

Anonymous User wrote:Just bid on a boutique firm that fits perfectly w/ my interests and resume. Wish me luck brothers. Interview would be in a few weeks.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer today with a large in house that runs a summer legal program similar to firm programs. Trying to sort some things out (on my end) but obviously probably taking it. Thanks to everyone on here who has helped just by being in the same boat and/or encouraging. I hope this encourages others - there are places interviewing (between January and this week, I've had ~5 interviews with more lined up) and giving out offers (and good positions at that!).

Anonymous User wrote:Just bid on a boutique firm that fits perfectly w/ my interests and resume. Wish me luck brothers. Interview would be in a few weeks.

Good luck!

Congrats!

I have been feeling good this spring. A lot of promising opportunities coming up, hopefully I have a similar fate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer today with a large in house that runs a summer legal program similar to firm programs. Trying to sort some things out (on my end) but obviously probably taking it. Thanks to everyone on here who has helped just by being in the same boat and/or encouraging. I hope this encourages others - there are places interviewing (between January and this week, I've had ~5 interviews with more lined up) and giving out offers (and good positions at that!).

Good luck!

Congrats!

I have been feeling good this spring. A lot of promising opportunities coming up, hopefully I have a similar fate.

Thanks! I've had a bunch of interviews come up recently and it seems like more places (especially in-house) are starting to hire. I just went after everything that seemed like the slightest possibility (and a few things that didn't even seem that promising). The place I found is in house, but there is a mid-sized, a boutique, and some in house that seem promising right now (but I'll probably never know since I'll withdraw). I'm in New England (I imagine things pick up differently in different areas).

The biggest thing for me was staying positive and continuing to apply. (Now, I'll spend that time on clerkship applications! ...and catching up on classes.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Good luck!

Can you point me in a very general direction? What resource can I use to find the employers who are still hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Can you point me in a very general direction? What resource can I use to find the employers who are still hiring?

I'm the quoted anon.

I think it varies by location. However, I used many different resources. For places posting positions, I used the school's symplicity site and emails, other group (local bar associations or law student groups) emails, and some online sources. There are some third party sites that post (lawstudentjobs.net is great, especially if you subscribe since then you don't have to remember to keep checking). Heck, I was checking so many places that I was even looking on craigslist (nothing really in my area, but I know of others who found good summer legal jobs through there). I'd also keep checking on any places you are interested in by their website and LinkedIn.

However, I absolutely did not limit myself to places that posted jobs. I emailed applications to tons of firms (all sizes), companies (got from Forbes, Inc., googling, lists of in house counsel, etc.), and tried to use contacts to branch out. I would say that most of my interviews came from these emailed applications - and often I was the first person they interviewed, since I applied before they posted anything). I networked like crazy, which helped me get some interviews and helped me get information about places before I applied/interviewed there (typically information I could bring up in the interview so they would realize I actually cared about them rather than just blindly applying). I think it's also important to keep going to networking events - I got some job leads from them (and sometimes just encouragement!).

I've seen a bunch of great jobs posted in the last week, so there are definitely still good positions out there. Good luck! Keep pushing and you'll get there! There are still a lot of good jobs out there if you expand from firms (and even some good firm positions remain for mid and small). Maybe they aren't BigLaw summer associate jobs, but they are still great opportunities!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

I accepted a summer position recently. In the past two days, I've gotten two further interview requests (which I've turned down, obviously) and an email from a company that I did not apply to for a summer position asking me to call them to discuss a summer position with them. (This is a huge company in what they do, a very impressive name, and would be amazing to work for this summer. I'd say who it is but it's well known and so would definitely out me.) I think the only way they could know about me is from my networking (met at an event, spoke VERY briefly, followed up via email) with the GC, who told me over a month ago that they already had their summers and were actually hiring all the way into next spring (2015). (I'm guessing from what I've heard that someone dropped out of their summer program.) So networking really does help and there are opportunities out there if you keep on hustling!

The point of this post is really to encourage everyone, since I was feeling desperate and pretty depressed until only a few weeks ago. This thread really helped me, so I'm hoping my experience in the past few weeks might encourage others to keep at it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:#2Lstillgrindinforajobcrew #2Lsolidarity #aintgivingup

Good thing you're anonymous or else I would have made you play #russianroulette with me for posting that

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:29 am

You can begin reading tea leaves. He's dead Jim.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm

Any advice on how to email for in-house positions?

Is it simply a matter of finding posted openings on Symplicity and job boards?

Is there any way I can directly send email apps to the legal departments of companies?

I'm really having a difficult time finding contact information for legal recruiting coordinators within legal departments of companies. Can I simply email the GC?! That seems like something they'd just ignore, right?

Please help.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to email for in-house positions?

Is there any way I can directly send email apps to the legal departments of companies?

I'm really having a difficult time finding contact information for legal recruiting coordinators within legal departments of companies. Can I simply email the GC?! That seems like something they'd just ignore, right?

Please help.

Email the recruiters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:

Please help.

Email the recruiters.

But how do I find their email addresses? I feel pretty dumb right now. For example, if I wanted to apply for Microsoft's legal department, it seems pretty hard to find the address of their recruiter. Unlike with firms, where for example you can go to NALP to get the recruiter's email address.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

So my 2L SA firm went under. Shocked. Just mass mailed 400 firms. Let's see how this goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my 2L SA firm went under. Shocked. Just mass mailed 400 firms. Let's see how this goes.

That is tough.

If I were in your position I would email the firms that may have extended you an offer earlier in the process. Never hurts to ask.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Please help.

Email the recruiters.

But how do I find their email addresses? I feel pretty dumb right now. For example, if I wanted to apply for Microsoft's legal department, it seems pretty hard to find the address of their recruiter. Unlike with firms, where for example you can go to NALP to get the recruiter's email address.

You seriously can't find their legal internship application page?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Please help.

Email the recruiters.

You seriously can't find their legal internship application page?

I found that quickly. I was just using that as an example -- I can't apply there because they want 1Ls only. But those online applications are often black holes. I feel like, at least with firm, you've gotta get in touch with the recruiting coordinator directly through email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm

I actually had a CB offer to a DC firm (maybe Debevoise, I forget) through the website. I think it normally is a backup in case someone they expected to accept declines. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as cross searching class rank checkbox you checkoff from the school the student rejected them from. From the firm's perspective it's probably easier because you literally have 2L's creating a database for them that their computers can separate by school. It's basically like if one were so popular they had booty calls they could separate by body type in the event of a vacancy. It's serving some purpose if they are replying at all. However, when firms are looking to actively hire the whole response time seems much more fast paced so they would probably reply in a few days. There are so many applicants that mass mailing is such a crapshoot. Seeing it from the perspective of recruiters, it seems likely a matter of pure chance that your e-mail is even read (being in the right place of the inbox at the right time). My experience was that subject line helped a great deal - just stating facts (UMich 2L...). If that fits their preference, you might get opened.

Did anything work out for the guy whose firm went under? That is incredibly shitty especially if you could've taken another offer. Would there have been any indication of any of this? I can't help but feel it constitutes a reckless disregard for a law student's future to recruit if there was an indication they might go under. They have much more of an obligation to their current staff and especially their clients than they do to you, but it seems mighty selfish to pretend everything is hanky dory just to keep up with Joneses. If you approached them nicely, maybe they could provide some assistance in at least getting you in touch with places they have prior relationships with? I imagine the big law market in City X is only so big, and if they liked you enough to offer you they may like you enough to not hang you out to dry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Any advice on finding lists of IP boutiques in a region (specifically nyc)? I'm trying to mass mail every IP boutique in town, but it's hard to know whether I'm missing any or not. So far, I went through every single firm in nyc that has intellectual property listed as a practice, but I've been finding that it doesn't quite get all the firms, and it also includes a ton of firms that don't truly focus on IP.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on finding lists of IP boutiques in a region (specifically nyc)? I'm trying to mass mail every IP boutique in town, but it's hard to know whether I'm missing any or not. So far, I went through every single firm in nyc that has intellectual property listed as a practice, but I've been finding that it doesn't quite get all the firms, and it also includes a ton of firms that don't truly focus on IP.

Two obvious choices are NALP and Martindale, those are great places to start if you have not checked them out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm

If I am transferring (but not 100% sure where), will it look bad to firms if I say "I'm a 2L at X" and then update a few weeks later, "Now I'm a 2L at Y." Especially worried if X is a regional school.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:42 am

It's still a bit early for mass-mail. Do you have an idea when you might make your decision whether to transfer?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 am

Question regarding mass mailing:

Besides attaching copies of a resume and transcript, should we include a cover letter? Should this cover letter be a formal letter in the body of the email, or attached along with everything else?

Return to “Legal Employment”