Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Texas ties?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Texas ties?


Born and raised and a 2L at a Texas school.

BostonLove
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BostonLove » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.


Congrats!
Completely stupid misuse of anon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Texas ties?


Born and raised and a 2L at a Texas school.


Did this firm start with a L end with a Mendelson?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Texas ties?


Born and raised and a 2L at a Texas school.


Did this firm start with a L end with a Mendelson?

I always wonder how much they pay in their various offices. It's impossible to figure out online.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer this week from a l&e firm in Dallas/Austin/Houston through mass mail. Don't give up hope brothers.

Texas ties?


Born and raised and a 2L at a Texas school.


Did this firm start with a L end with a Mendelson?


No, but I did mail them as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks and congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:42 pm

So frustrated. I feel like I'm only getting any positives back from places that don't practice in what I'm actually interested in. and even then, it's interviews - not offers. (I'd take almost any offer I could get at this point.) I found out that the last firm that seems to be a place where I could actually do what I want has given out summer offers to others, and I haven't heard back yet (and it sounds like all offers went out, so it's probably just snail mail reject). I keep trying and trying but all around me are people who have jobs and don't seem to get that others who want jobs don't have them or people who basically luck into jobs (I don't assume this about people, but there are a few people who have told me about it happening) or similar. I'm a good worker with good experience in relevant areas, but I just can't seem to get past interviews. and I've been told I'm not a bad interviewer based on numerous mock interviews (and I've gotten callbacks after initial interviews).

I wish I knew back in May what I know now. Maybe I could have done some things differently and would have an offer by now.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:So frustrated. I feel like I'm only getting any positives back from places that don't practice in what I'm actually interested in. and even then, it's interviews - not offers. (I'd take almost any offer I could get at this point.) I found out that the last firm that seems to be a place where I could actually do what I want has given out summer offers to others, and I haven't heard back yet (and it sounds like all offers went out, so it's probably just snail mail reject). I keep trying and trying but all around me are people who have jobs and don't seem to get that others who want jobs don't have them or people who basically luck into jobs (I don't assume this about people, but there are a few people who have told me about it happening) or similar. I'm a good worker with good experience in relevant areas, but I just can't seem to get past interviews. and I've been told I'm not a bad interviewer based on numerous mock interviews (and I've gotten callbacks after initial interviews).

I wish I knew back in May what I know now. Maybe I could have done some things differently and would have an offer by now.

Sorry, this really sucks. If it's any consolation at all, sometimes even people who do everything right strike out. It's just the nature of the beast.

User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Druid » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:So frustrated. I feel like I'm only getting any positives back from places that don't practice in what I'm actually interested in. and even then, it's interviews - not offers. (I'd take almost any offer I could get at this point.) I found out that the last firm that seems to be a place where I could actually do what I want has given out summer offers to others, and I haven't heard back yet (and it sounds like all offers went out, so it's probably just snail mail reject). I keep trying and trying but all around me are people who have jobs and don't seem to get that others who want jobs don't have them or people who basically luck into jobs (I don't assume this about people, but there are a few people who have told me about it happening) or similar. I'm a good worker with good experience in relevant areas, but I just can't seem to get past interviews. and I've been told I'm not a bad interviewer based on numerous mock interviews (and I've gotten callbacks after initial interviews).

I wish I knew back in May what I know now. Maybe I could have done some things differently and would have an offer by now.


Can't look at the past for futile reasons. Look forward, keep your chin up, and push ahead. This sucks. It really, really fucking sucks. Every day I'm looking at jobs at which 2 months ago I'd never have deigned to apply. But once you sort of realize that this is all a rat race flame, and that things can be alright as long as you make sure to pick yourself up, then the future is much better.

And don't forget to do whatever it is that releases those endorphins for you. Really important as daylight wanes this time of year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So frustrated. I feel like I'm only getting any positives back from places that don't practice in what I'm actually interested in. and even then, it's interviews - not offers. (I'd take almost any offer I could get at this point.) I found out that the last firm that seems to be a place where I could actually do what I want has given out summer offers to others, and I haven't heard back yet (and it sounds like all offers went out, so it's probably just snail mail reject). I keep trying and trying but all around me are people who have jobs and don't seem to get that others who want jobs don't have them or people who basically luck into jobs (I don't assume this about people, but there are a few people who have told me about it happening) or similar. I'm a good worker with good experience in relevant areas, but I just can't seem to get past interviews. and I've been told I'm not a bad interviewer based on numerous mock interviews (and I've gotten callbacks after initial interviews).

I wish I knew back in May what I know now. Maybe I could have done some things differently and would have an offer by now.

Sorry, this really sucks. If it's any consolation at all, sometimes even people who do everything right strike out. It's just the nature of the beast.


Thanks. I'm the above poster. I feel like I did what is said to be right (and more - started things earlier, etc.), there's really only a couple of things that I think I even could have done differently. It's just a crapshoot. =/ I guess it just really hit me hard yesterday finding out about the last place that has anything close to a typical summer program. and I still feel like this today, but I'm at school, going to classes, and keeping up... because really, what other option is there?

Druid wrote:Can't look at the past for futile reasons. Look forward, keep your chin up, and push ahead. This sucks. It really, really fucking sucks. Every day I'm looking at jobs at which 2 months ago I'd never have deigned to apply. But once you sort of realize that this is all a rat race flame, and that things can be alright as long as you make sure to pick yourself up, then the future is much better.

And don't forget to do whatever it is that releases those endorphins for you. Really important as daylight wanes this time of year.


Yeah, I'm usually all about pushing forward and realizing that it is a crazy, ridiculous system. It's just all really rough right now. Thanks for the encouragement - and reminder about endorphins. I definitely don't do that enough.

I've been applying to jobs I really wouldn't even like as an ideal all along. I'm actually at a point of not even knowing where else to apply - I've hit the markets (and even small towns in the middle of nowhere) that I could conceivably get to in every area of law.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:17 am

Now that exams are approaching, should I ease up on the job applications and focus on exams?

Does it matter how well / poorly you do in your first semester of 2L?

Also, are firms still hiring?!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that exams are approaching, should I ease up on the job applications and focus on exams?

Does it matter how well / poorly you do in your first semester of 2L?

Also, are firms still hiring?!


I'm taking a break from the job hunt so I don't bomb my classes. I'm top 15% and I don't want to drop if I'm still looking for jobs next semester. If you are still looking, grades still matter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that exams are approaching, should I ease up on the job applications and focus on exams?

Does it matter how well / poorly you do in your first semester of 2L?

Also, are firms still hiring?!


I'm taking a break from the job hunt so I don't bomb my classes. I'm top 15% and I don't want to drop if I'm still looking for jobs next semester. If you are still looking, grades still matter.


My approach as well. I'm borderline for Art. III. Still far from a sure thing, but if I can kill it this semester I think I'll be in pretty good, or at least less terrible, shape.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:23 am

I've finished exams and now I want to jump back into the job hunt but I honestly don't know what to do anymore. It's a combination of discouragement/depression and feeling like I've already applied everywhere. Where should I be focusing at this point?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby rad lulz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:22 am

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've finished exams and now I want to jump back into the job hunt but I honestly don't know what to do anymore. It's a combination of discouragement/depression and feeling like I've already applied everywhere. Where should I be focusing at this point?


I know what you mean. I've applied and followed up multiple times to pretty much everywhere I could find. I've been interviewing still, but I need to get an offer/job!

I took some time off for exams and the holidays (other than scheduled interviews), especially since this doesn't seem to be the best time of year to contact attorneys. I'm starting up again, but I'm trying to find new places. I've even already sent out to the <25 attorney firms I could find!

I'm going to start focusing more on alternative places to work from firms. Obviously a firm is ideal, but working for one of the government agencies, offices, judges, or similar that are still hiring is at least something. I've applied to some already, but these weren't something I was really interested in for this summer and so I did not focus on them.

I don't understand how this happened (but it is not worth looking to the past now - only keep moving forward), but it's something we have to just keep chugging through.

Keep following up on your submitted mass mailings, too! I followed up three times (after that, I assume it is a no). I think all or at least most of my interviews were from follow ups - even some from the third follow up I sent! I also had some tell me to contact them later, so we'll see if anything comes of those.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 pm

So I have half of my summer filled up, and I'm still gunning for the next half.

After grades are posted is my next move, sending a follow up with an updated resume? FWIW, a lot of these firms this will be my third follow up, a lot of not said a word to me.

Also, I have had a few firms give positive responses telling me to contract them in Jan. Anyone have some tips on approaching these emails, especially don't want to screw these ones up since they seem like my best bet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 am

In your case, the firms may appreciate that applying for jobs puts a damper in your study time, and is more important. They were applying at one point too. I'd imagine you could probably get away with your old transcript unless a lawyer asks about it. I still think a high 1L GPA shows you can win when the game's on the line. Dropping because you want to get a job doesn't indicate once you're comfortable you slack.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 pm

I sent three follow ups to firms that I mass mailed and did not hear back from, with the last follow up over a month ago. I did better in the fall semester (had done middling before, now am in top quarter). Once I am able to get an updated transcript (should be this week or next depending on the registrar's office), is it worth it to send updated resume (new GPA) and transcript? I figure at this point I'm probably just annoying them, but if there is a chance for a job, I'll do it. If there is not a chance and I'd just be making myself 'that person,' then I'll spend my time on other job hunt things.

I'm pursuing other leads (including mailing corporations) and will be sending the updated information to firms that I interviewed with and am waiting to hear back from, of course.

...I'd really like a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...I'd really like a job.

I'm keepin on keepin on but it seems as if I have emailed everywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy... :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 pm

So I had a callback about 7 weeks ago. I thought it went well. I emailed them 3 weeks after the callback to ask about my status. The recruiting coordinator was very nice and said she'd email the hiring attorney about it. No response after that.

6 weeks after the callback, I email the hiring attorney asking about my status. No response yet.

Should I still... pursue this? Like should I email the recruiting coordinator? It's possible the recruiting committee couldn't meet because of Christmas / New Years and all of that. I don't know, it's probably another rejection.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:...I'd really like a job.

I'm keepin on keepin on but it seems as if I have emailed everywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy... :?


Same here. I've been applying everywhere possible - firms, corporations, whatever. I maxed out firms in my (various) geographic regions a while ago and so moved on to others. I keep following up, but after 3-4 emails, I highly doubt anyone is getting back to me.

Anonymous User wrote:So I had a callback about 7 weeks ago. I thought it went well. I emailed them 3 weeks after the callback to ask about my status. The recruiting coordinator was very nice and said she'd email the hiring attorney about it. No response after that.

6 weeks after the callback, I email the hiring attorney asking about my status. No response yet.

Should I still... pursue this? Like should I email the recruiting coordinator? It's possible the recruiting committee couldn't meet because of Christmas / New Years and all of that. I don't know, it's probably another rejection.


I'd keep contacting them every few weeks - but not too often. I try to forget about places I've interviewed until I hear back but I still follow up - basically, I just try not to get my hopes up! I would probably wait another 3-4 weeks from the last contact (closer to 4).

Of course, I'm in the same boat, so I really can just say what I'd do - I have no idea what works, clearly!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Firm I would love to work out posted a 2L SA on my school spring OCI. I meet their criteria, but the catch is they are full summer only and I already have a gig for 4 weeks min - 6 weeks max.


I'm thinking about bidding and if everything goes perfectly (which in itself is very, very doubtful) try and urge them to let me work a little less than full summer.


Any idea on how successful I could be asking for a few weeks less than full summer. If they would budge on two weeks I could probably do both and take the 4 weeks min on the other firm I have.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Firm I would love to work out posted a 2L SA on my school spring OCI. I meet their criteria, but the catch is they are full summer only and I already have a gig for 4 weeks min - 6 weeks max.


I'm thinking about bidding and if everything goes perfectly (which in itself is very, very doubtful) try and urge them to let me work a little less than full summer.


Any idea on how successful I could be asking for a few weeks less than full summer. If they would budge on two weeks I could probably do both and take the 4 weeks min on the other firm I have.

Get the offer, come back and start a thread (or pm me). We will puzzle through it then. For now just interview brilliantly.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.