Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:It would really help if people could give an idea of which places are still hiring


I haven't gotten an offer but have gotten interviews. The reason I don't include all of this information is that, especially now that hiring has slowed a bit for some employers, this information could very easily out the individual. (For a few interviews, I know that I am either the only or one of a few interviewees for that firm at my law school.) I try to include as much information as possible to help others, but I don't want to do so at that expense. Even after getting an offer, you may not want people to know what you say on here.


It's also essentially proprietary information. Call me crazy, but I don't want to cause a horde of new applications to what could be my last chance at an SA.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby JazzOne » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:It would really help if people could give an idea of which places are still hiring

lol

nice anon

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby JazzOne » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It would really help if people could give an idea of which places are still hiring


I haven't gotten an offer but have gotten interviews. The reason I don't include all of this information is that, especially now that hiring has slowed a bit for some employers, this information could very easily out the individual. (For a few interviews, I know that I am either the only or one of a few interviewees for that firm at my law school.) I try to include as much information as possible to help others, but I don't want to do so at that expense. Even after getting an offer, you may not want people to know what you say on here.


It's also essentially proprietary information. Call me crazy, but I don't want to cause a horde of new applications to what could be my last chance at an SA.

Especially applications from TLS regulars!

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Is it still worth it to massmail?

MVP student; transfer from T25.

Talked to Career Services. He said, bluntly, that the ship has sailed and that I should focus on public interest, NGOs, unpaid internships.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7390
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it still worth it to massmail?

MVP student; transfer from T25.

Talked to Career Services. He said, bluntly, that the ship has sailed and that I should focus on public interest, NGOs, unpaid internships.

I'm no expert, but that's plain silly because you can easily find an unpaid job sometime next semester if that's what it comes down to. For now, you should definitely keep mass mailing.

Why do CSO's blow at giving advice?

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Where are people even mass mailing anymore?

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Has anyone had any positive movement in the last week or so? Also what are people doing, if anything, right now?

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:58 pm

i dunno, but i am in the process of convincing myself to apply for a summer "law clerk" position for a small ~40 person firm (with an opportunity to work during the fall semester if they like me)…. just procrastinating b/c in my mind, once i apply, i am basically saying to myself… yer fucked bro, mucho debt, little income ahead…. prepare for the ramen noodle fiesta :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i dunno, but i am in the process of convincing myself to apply for a summer "law clerk" position for a small ~40 person firm (with an opportunity to work during the fall semester if they like me)…. just procrastinating b/c in my mind, once i apply, i am basically saying to myself… yer fucked bro, mucho debt, little income ahead…. prepare for the ramen noodle fiesta :|

Top 25 percent at an MVP here, it hurts when you start applying to the 3-10 person firms, but that might be the only legal job you will ever get.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 25 percent at an MVP here, it hurts when you start applying to the 3-10 person firms, but that might be the only legal job you will ever get.

Did you have a 2L SA? Because you otherwise have the stats to be appealing to firms.

Go to every fucking firm website in the Amlaw 200. Lots of them are still looking for 3Ls who can start in 2014. Some are looking for specific offices, some are just requesting general applications. There's a decent chance you will get an interview from this.

Also, I don't know if you can still apply to them, but Article I courts can be a way into Biglaw. Bankruptcy and Tax courts being two examples of less-selective clerkships that are attractive to firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 25 percent at an MVP here, it hurts when you start applying to the 3-10 person firms, but that might be the only legal job you will ever get.

Did you have a 2L SA? Because you otherwise have the stats to be appealing to firms.

Go to every fucking firm website in the Amlaw 200. Lots of them are still looking for 3Ls who can start in 2014. Some are looking for specific offices, some are just requesting general applications. There's a decent chance you will get an interview from this.

Also, I don't know if you can still apply to them, but Article I courts can be a way into Biglaw. Bankruptcy and Tax courts being two examples of less-selective clerkships that are attractive to firms.

I am a 2L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:25 pm

I just sent a bunch of last ditch, scattershot mass-mails to markets I never would have even considered 3 months ago. Still holding onto that last callback I haven't heard back from but each day that passes, it seems less likely that will come through. I'm still hoping that I can get lucky and get an e-mail in to the right firm at the right time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to every fucking firm website in the Amlaw 200. Lots of them are still looking for 3Ls who can start in 2014. Some are looking for specific offices, some are just requesting general applications. There's a decent chance you will get an interview from this.

Also, I don't know if you can still apply to them, but Article I courts can be a way into Biglaw. Bankruptcy and Tax courts being two examples of less-selective clerkships that are attractive to firms.

I am a 2L.

Lots of firms still have 2L SAs listed on their websites. For example, Kirkland.

Target a smaller/secondary market to which you have plausible ties. Philly/Detroit/Charlotte too. Write a really great cover letter telling them why you really want their city (and why you don't want NYC/DC/CA/whatever) so they'll take you seriously. You can even tell them you'll be in town during Thanksgiving or something if they want to meet then. With your credentials a big reason they might reject you is because they think not serious and are wasting their time. Make them take you seriously.

Also, apply for Article III clerkships if it's not too late and look into the article Article I timeline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey I'm MVP; just got a CB.

Obviously, I've received ~100+ rejections through emails telling me firms are done hiring.

So it's tough as hell to get CBs and interviews, but I think there's still some openings, however few.

Since I've been dinged at a few CBs, I'm not banking on an offer. But at the very least, it's given me motivation to keep emailing.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any positive movement in the last week or so? Also what are people doing, if anything, right now?


I have received another interview for a mid-sized in a secondary market - but it supposedly pays BigLaw money.

I'm continuing to send out mailings, though I've been pretty busy with journal work (and then school work and networking events) this week. I'm also continuing to follow up, which yields more results.

Anonymous User wrote:i dunno, but i am in the process of convincing myself to apply for a summer "law clerk" position for a small ~40 person firm (with an opportunity to work during the fall semester if they like me)…. just procrastinating b/c in my mind, once i apply, i am basically saying to myself… yer fucked bro, mucho debt, little income ahead…. prepare for the ramen noodle fiesta :|


I've been mass mailing to this size firm all along. I started with big firms, but it is better to get a mid-sized than nothing! Plus, it is just an application - not accepting an offer. Until I have an offer, I'm going after every single chance I have until I have an option.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to every fucking firm website in the Amlaw 200. Lots of them are still looking for 3Ls who can start in 2014. Some are looking for specific offices, some are just requesting general applications. There's a decent chance you will get an interview from this.

Also, I don't know if you can still apply to them, but Article I courts can be a way into Biglaw. Bankruptcy and Tax courts being two examples of less-selective clerkships that are attractive to firms.

I am a 2L.

Lots of firms still have 2L SAs listed on their websites. For example, Kirkland.

Target a smaller/secondary market to which you have plausible ties. Philly/Detroit/Charlotte too. Write a really great cover letter telling them why you really want their city (and why you don't want NYC/DC/CA/whatever) so they'll take you seriously. You can even tell them you'll be in town during Thanksgiving or something if they want to meet then. With your credentials a big reason they might reject you is because they think not serious and are wasting their time. Make them take you seriously.

Also, apply for Article III clerkships if it's not too late and look into the article Article I timeline.


I'm not the anon above, but I'm also a 2L. What clerkships are you talking about that 2Ls should be applying (or should already have applied) for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, apply for Article III clerkships if it's not too late and look into the article Article I timeline.


I'm not the anon above, but I'm also a 2L. What clerkships are you talking about that 2Ls should be applying (or should already have applied) for?


Yeah, it looks like you can still apply for pretty much everything, but there are definitely judges who are actively hiring at the moment. More and more judges are abandoning the plan and hiring early and/or 2 years in advance. You could ask your career services about applying off-plan, and although they probably wont be able to extend any institutional help they may be able to offer advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, apply for Article III clerkships if it's not too late and look into the article Article I timeline.


I'm not the anon above, but I'm also a 2L. What clerkships are you talking about that 2Ls should be applying (or should already have applied) for?


Yeah, it looks like you can still apply for pretty much everything, but there are definitely judges who are actively hiring at the moment. More and more judges are abandoning the plan and hiring early and/or 2 years in advance. You could ask your career services about applying off-plan, and although they probably wont be able to extend any institutional help they may be able to offer advice.


Okay, thanks. I actually just started seeing some emails about clerkships starting 2015 this week, so I'll have to start applying!

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Keep up the good work brothers.

Some encouragement, I got an interview today on a follow up email. Firm is in my target market and focuses on the type of law that I want to do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:43 am

Indeed, keep going guys. Mass applied to IP boutique (no science background) and have just been given interview for their soft IP group. Was not expecting that. Keep going, something will come up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 am

I have an interview through mass mail. They want me to come to their office. Local mid size firm. Is this essentially a callback or a screener. If I do well at it should I be expecting an offer or another interview?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby goldeneye » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview through mass mail. They want me to come to their office. Local mid size firm. Is this essentially a callback or a screener. If I do well at it should I be expecting an offer or another interview?


Doesn't matter. Go kill it and worry about that later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Need some advice.

Here is the story:

Applied online to a biglawish/boutique firm almost a month ago. Sent a follow email a few weeks ago. On that same day they actually posted a position on my schools sym page. Recruiter later that day said she received my info and would review and forward to hiring partner. I think I have a nice chance because of background and grade cutoff. The sym posting says taking applications till end of nov.

My question is should I stay put and be patient or send another follow up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:42 pm

So how long do you think we should focus on the job search? Pretty soon, it seems that exams should be more important. I've had interviews and am waiting to hear back from them, but I want to keep job hunting (and will soon start clerkship applications) until I have something.

Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice.

Here is the story:

Applied online to a biglawish/boutique firm almost a month ago. Sent a follow email a few weeks ago. On that same day they actually posted a position on my schools sym page. Recruiter later that day said she received my info and would review and forward to hiring partner. I think I have a nice chance because of background and grade cutoff. The sym posting says taking applications till end of nov.

My question is should I stay put and be patient or send another follow up?


I wouldn't. Maybe follow up after a month, but I try not to follow up too quickly or often. If they know you've seen the symplicity post that does not close until late November, then it might be obnoxious.

Of course, I think the right answer/their reaction varies by firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Anyone with luck lately? Are people still mass mailing or more focused on end of year/exams now?

Anonymous User
Posts: 278162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 pm

I reached out to alumni and one got me an interview next week while he's in town. It's a V100 in a market I have no ties to. So, all hope isn't lost!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.