Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've mass mailed some firms but heard nothing back from most (I've received one "thanks for sending us your info" and two "thanks but we're not interested"). Some of these firms I sent my info mid- to late- August. How do I go about following up?

bump

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are y'all emailing the firms or actually sending out physical letters in the mail?
I've just been sending emails.


Email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:11 am

i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

time to keep on keeping on (aka: csws)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

time to keep on keeping on (aka: csws)


I'm right there with you. I've mass-mailed about 200 firms and have nothing to show for it thus far besides an inbox full of silence and rejection. One firm's rejection said not to take it personally... (it's not you, it's me!)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

time to keep on keeping on (aka: csws)


I'm right there with you. I've mass-mailed about 200 firms and have nothing to show for it thus far besides an inbox full of silence and rejection. One firm's rejection said not to take it personally... (it's not you, it's me!)

Done around ~120 I think, only gotten 1 interview from it. But most of these I've done this week so I'm gonna give it another week or so before I lose hope on all of them. And obviously I'm gonna keep applying places.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby spleenworship » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 am

Tom Joad wrote:http://gs.columbia.edu/postbac/


Podiatry school FTW for me if no job 3 months post bar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 am

So somewhat of a stupid question... when sending emails, it seems like the general advice is to make a PDF of your cover letter, resume, and transcript. So what do you actually write in the body of the email? Would it be better if I just copy and pasted the cover letter into the body of the email and just send a PDF of my resume and transcript?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So somewhat of a stupid question... when sending emails, it seems like the general advice is to make a PDF of your cover letter, resume, and transcript. So what do you actually write in the body of the email? Would it be better if I just copy and pasted the cover letter into the body of the email and just send a PDF of my resume and transcript?


Generally it looks better to make the cover letter a PDF. If you do that, then the body of the e-mail is very short.

If you're using resume launchpad, then you should put the cover letter in the body of the e-mail.



That makes sense. So would the body of the email just say something to the effect of To Whom It May Concern: Please see attached documents... Sincerely....? Any one have a template of what the body is actually supposed to read?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've mass mailed some firms but heard nothing back from most (I've received one "thanks for sending us your info" and two "thanks but we're not interested"). Some of these firms I sent my info mid- to late- August. How do I go about following up?

bump


I would email again to say you are still interested and to ask about the hiring process. Some people call. I'm not an expert on mass mailing though.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've mass mailed some firms but heard nothing back from most (I've received one "thanks for sending us your info" and two "thanks but we're not interested"). Some of these firms I sent my info mid- to late- August. How do I go about following up?

bump

You can also update your application with anything new as a way to refresh your app. E.g. Journal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby SportsFan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.

Thats awesome! Congrats! And hopefully the good news keeps coming for ya!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.


Nice.

BostonLove
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BostonLove » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.


Congratulations!

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby rouser » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 pm

bk1 wrote:This needs a serious bump. Heck, I'm tempted to sticky it.

you should sticky it and change the title to get more posts in here.

NickDenver1 wrote:So far I've just been visiting firm websites and sending apps to recruiting people. Has anyone had success using resume launchpad though? I want to use it but I don't want it to look like I've used it.

might try this later tonight.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 am

rad lulz wrote:Do it

People never learn

Considering this fell to the second page, doing it.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 am

Can someone explain how they followed up mass mailing? I've seen a few people asking about it and I don't know how it works. I looked but didn't see much on this( though I probably missed it.) But I've read threads where people say they kept following up over a period of months for jobs that finally turned into offers.

Do people just keep periodically sending emails updating their stuff and confirming their interest?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 am

NYstate wrote:Can someone explain how they followed up mass mailing? I've seen a few people asking about it and I don't know how it works. I looked but didn't see much on this( though I probably missed it.) But I've read threads where people say they kept following up over a period of months for jobs that finally turned into offers.

Do people just keep periodically sending emails updating their stuff and confirming their interest?

Yes. And you might want to consider finding things to do that are actually worth updating your resume with, like externships/internships/TAing gigs etc.

timmyd
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby timmyd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 pm

There's some great info in this forum....I've got one interview through mass mailing and I'm about to email the other firms in the city to let them know I will be there...2 rejections so far. Does anyone have any mass mailing success stories that led to offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 pm

yup, i know of several instances of mass-mail to offers.

RedLightGreenLight
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby RedLightGreenLight » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

^ thats me. didnt meant to anon




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.