Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Druid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

purpleparrot wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:Have people had success with resume launcher?


4 phone screeners and 1 callback so far


Are these all just the same person hocking resume launchpad? It is so outdated. It has Dewey & LeBouef as a firm option. 2 out of 5 e-mails come back with "this e-mail is inactive" or "this person no longer works here," and thats only the ones that have responses set up for that. I'd wager over half those e-mails go NOWHERE. Also, firms are hip to this mass mailing these days and so another 2 out of 5 e-mails sent gets a response saying "if you want to apply, do it via our online portal," so they are able to weed out anyone too lazy.


It is outdated. I just check the firm info before I send. If the firm name is different, or there's a new contact person, I just take the email RL generated, copy-paste into my own email account, and send to the right person from there instead. It's really helpful for finding the firms and creating the emails, but it needs double checking.


This. Chances are if it's going to a generic email like attorneyrecruiting@firm.com then you're throwing a quarter into a void. The entire problem could be avoided if it would just allow you to edit the address field.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Druid
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Druid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:05 pm

hoos89 wrote:The more time you spend doing that kind of stuff the more pointless the site becomes. The benefit of resumelaunchpad was never accuracy. 2 of 5 is a bit high of an estimate for e-mails returned saying that person doesn't work there (you will get a lot of these but proportional to the number you send out it is pretty small, probably closer to 10%). Again, this as a pure scatter shot approach. Nobody is saying that it's better than actually creating your own e-mails PER E-MAIL but it allows you to send out way more.


Accurate, but what else are you doing with your time again?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 am

If you're putting school/ journal ahead of job search, you are most assuredly doing it wrong.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 am

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am

hoos89 wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you're putting school/ journal ahead of job search, you are most assuredly doing it wrong.


I'm not; my point was just that it's nice to outsource some part of my job search because I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I'm not just going to skip all of my class and do no reading to send out e-mails with a very low success rate. If I strike out, that would leave me in an even worse position.

Here's the thing: each individual email has a low rate of success. The process in general has a decent one. The more carefully you craft your campaign, the more successful it will be.

There's a balance between volume of emails, which needs to be high, and tailored cover letters, which are important too. I haven't seen RL, but if you're not spending 5-10 minutes on your CL, you're not maximizing your campaign success potential.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 am

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 am

I sincerely hope you get a job offer you're excited to have, and soon. IMO those would have been 100 hours well-spent.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 am

hoos89 wrote:I'm not just going to skip all of my class and do no reading to send out e-mails with a very low success rate.

Why not? That's what I've been doing. Class is optional, readings are optional, getting a job is necessary.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 29007
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby wiz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:49 am

Danger Zone wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I'm not just going to skip all of my class and do no reading to send out e-mails with a very low success rate.

Why not? That's what I've been doing. Class is optional, readings are optional, getting a job is necessary.


This. I've gone to, like, two days of class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Has anyone had success mailing a region that doesn't really recruit from your school? I go to one of Florida/Georgia/Bama and I've blanketed those states and a lot of TX (with weak ties), but I don't really know how useful a mass mail outside of the Southeast is going to be. I feel like its pointless but idk what else to do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had success mailing a region that doesn't really recruit from your school? I go to one of Florida/Georgia/Bama and I've blanketed those states and a lot of TX (with weak ties), but I don't really know how useful a mass mail outside of the Southeast is going to be. I feel like its pointless but idk what else to do.


I have. I'm at an east coast school and have had quite a bit of success mailing my hometown on the west coast, with about half my mailings receiving at least a screener and in a couple cases I went straight to callbacks. If you've got ties to an area outside the Southeast, play those up in your cover letters AND the body of your e-mail; I think highlighting it helped me get my foot in the door. If you don't have ties but have a reason to want to be in a particular place (e.g. want California because you're into IP, etc.) say that too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:22 am

Only traction I have had from mass mailing so far is a partner at a law firm calling me to tell me I am his number one choice if someone drops out, or if they need to hire another person.

He basically said I applied too late.

Oh well, at least I have some sort of response other than dings.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Only traction I have had from mass mailing so far is a partner at a law firm calling me to tell me I am his number one choice if someone drops out, or if they need to hire another person.

He basically said I applied too late.

Oh well, at least I have some sort of response other than dings.

Something to circle back to as a 3L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Just received an invitation for an interview with a firm of about 200 associates in a market I have zero ties. Although it is just a screener interview, it is NOT too late. Keep it up. This just added fuel to my fire to keep Mass Mailing, I hope it does for everyone else as well.

Also, anybody have any suggestions for this? I have absolutely zero idea about how to play up I am willing to work there. I am honestly thinking of simply saying, "I am single, mobile, and willing to work at a firm that is going to give me the best experience possible."

EDIT: To add for further support, this is the anon from before IAFG, it is not to late. Keep mass mailing brothers and sisters.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 29007
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby wiz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an invitation for an interview with a firm of about 200 associates in a market I have zero ties. Although it is just a screener interview, it is NOT too late. Keep it up. This just added fuel to my fire to keep Mass Mailing, I hope it does for everyone else as well.

Also, anybody have any suggestions for this? I have absolutely zero idea about how to play up I am willing to work there. I am honestly thinking of simply saying, "I am single, mobile, and willing to work at a firm that is going to give me the best experience possible."


The problem, I think, isn't so much being willing to work there as it is being willing to stay there. If you're single and mobile, what's to keep you from seeking other job opportunities in a target market or lateraling after a couple years?

I would just think of a few interesting/attractive things about the region and say that you're interested in whatever practice area the firm is strong in.

You could also just go the fake significant other route, too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an invitation for an interview with a firm of about 200 associates in a market I have zero ties. Although it is just a screener interview, it is NOT too late. Keep it up. This just added fuel to my fire to keep Mass Mailing, I hope it does for everyone else as well.

Also, anybody have any suggestions for this? I have absolutely zero idea about how to play up I am willing to work there. I am honestly thinking of simply saying, "I am single, mobile, and willing to work at a firm that is going to give me the best experience possible."


The problem, I think, isn't so much being willing to work there as it is being willing to stay there. If you're single and mobile, what's to keep you from seeking other job opportunities in a target market or lateraling after a couple years?

I would just think of a few interesting/attractive things about the region and say that you're interested in whatever practice area the firm is strong in.

You could also just go the fake significant other route, too.



I was thinking about doing both of those things. I am going to call my parents up and see if there is any family in this area, no matter how extended they are.

I just am really confused as to how I even got this interview, my resume SCREAMS a particular major market, there is nothing on my resume which would insinuate any ties to this market, which TLS would consider very insular.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just am really confused as to how I even got this interview, my resume SCREAMS a particular major market, there is nothing on my resume which would insinuate any ties to this market, which TLS would consider very insular.

I was in the exact same position, resume screams one market, got two CBs in a far away land somehow, and totally wasted everyone's time by going to them. Dings were both sent same day because I had no demonstrable ties.

Am I saying you should just give up? No, go in with full confidence and make up good reasons for being there. But just know, somewhere in the back of your head, that you're probably wasting your time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just am really confused as to how I even got this interview, my resume SCREAMS a particular major market, there is nothing on my resume which would insinuate any ties to this market, which TLS would consider very insular.

I was in the exact same position, resume screams one market, got two CBs in a far away land somehow, and totally wasted everyone's time by going to them. Dings were both sent same day because I had no demonstrable ties.

Am I saying you should just give up? No, go in with full confidence and make up good reasons for being there. But just know, somewhere in the back of your head, that you're probably wasting your time.


Why even offer the interview then? It makes no sense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Got a CB that just turned into an Offer from mass-mailing. Keep at it ladies and gents.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

is it too late? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i'm above median, t14, normal, diverse, etc. may have struck out. very depressed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Still keeping hope up for the massive amount of emails I sent (400+)..... But today I get to atone for my sinful thoughts Re: today's 7 snail mail and 5 email rejections :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm

How long should I be making my cover letters? I'm sort of worried the template for the one I've been using is too long and wordy (250-350 words, depending on how much customization I do for the firm). I'm considering making my future ones more like the ones in the sample mass mail spreadsheet (which are like 100-150 words) and putting them in the body of the email rather than uploading it as a separate cover letter. Maybe this would make it more likely to get looked at?

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby westinghouse60 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Oops above was me, didn't mean to anon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.