Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:07 am

If you're assuming there's any sort of appreciable bump because you took the time, effort, and money to snail mail, you're wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:13 am

pancakes3 wrote:If you're assuming there's any sort of appreciable bump because you took the time, effort, and money to snail mail, you're wrong.

I'm assuming there's a greater chance that snail mail would be opened than email. My understanding is that most mass emails are never read past the subject line.

User avatar
grand inquisitor
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am

yes but its a pure numbers game and you are able to crank many more emails out more quickly so its generally a better strategy. this isn't clerkship apps where you need to worry that some of them don't/won't use email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:35 pm

nvm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:20 pm

When are 3Ls planning on starting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When are 3Ls planning on starting?

If and when the no offer call comes

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6761
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Kratos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When are 3Ls planning on starting?

If and when the no offer call comes

super helpful response

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When are 3Ls planning on starting?

If and when the no offer call comes

super helpful response

Same anon. I'm not guaranteed an offer.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6761
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Kratos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When are 3Ls planning on starting?

If and when the no offer call comes

super helpful response

Same anon. I'm not guaranteed an offer.

oh i thought you were just being snarky. my bad

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:05 am

I'm not sure I can wait until offers go out, since I think that could be pretty late into the fall. Is early July a good time as a 3L to MM?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Bump. Now would be a good time to start mass-mailing if you haven't already!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm

As a 3L should I MM now or wait until offers in Aug?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Would now also be a good time to start mass mailing as a 2L?

User avatar
EncyclopediaOrange
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:30 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would now also be a good time to start mass mailing as a 2L?


And as a 2L transfer?

BigZuck
Posts: 10858
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:52 pm

I'd probably wait until July to send but no reason not to get stuff together now

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'd probably wait until July to send but no reason not to get stuff together now


At a minimum you should be getting your spreadsheet together. And I really don't see any reason not to apply in the next week or two as long as you make sure to update sometime in early to mid July.

BigZuck
Posts: 10858
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:09 pm

BUMP for all the random mass mail questions cluttering these fora

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby usernotfound » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:10 pm

What are people's thoughts on cover letters for mass mailing? I can't seem to find any consensus as to whether to put the cover letter as an attachment or in the body of the email. Do recruiting people even read these, and is it worth the effort to put interested in litigation/corporate if you're unsure, or will that just possibly hurt your chances?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:51 pm

usernotfound wrote:What are people's thoughts on cover letters for mass mailing? I can't seem to find any consensus as to whether to put the cover letter as an attachment or in the body of the email. Do recruiting people even read these, and is it worth the effort to put interested in litigation/corporate if you're unsure, or will that just possibly hurt your chances?


Body or attachment is fine; I don't think there's really a right answer to that. You should send something, though. I wouldn't put a litigation/corporate preference unless you're sure which one you want or you know the firm is bigger in one or the other (e.g. put litigation for WilmerHale). If the firm is really big in one practice area it might help to put that as a reason you're interested in the firm, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:06 pm

How/Should one mass mail as a transfer student before knowing exactly where you're transferring?

Currently planning on attending Michigan unless the law school gods shine on me and I get into CCN.

Is it unethical / would it look terrible to apply with Michigan on my resume, then update if I switch schools?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 am

For those that use email trackers, do you use one that tracks attachment downloads/views like yesware? I tried doing this and have gotten a few responses that my email attachment could not be printed/opened strangely. Is it worth the data to continue to use this feature or should I stick solely to open tracking?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 pm

If a firm does not show any current openings relevant to Junior Associate experience, do you skip the firm? How do you send 200 apps when vast majority of the firms don't have available openings?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm does not show any current openings relevant to Junior Associate experience, do you skip the firm? How do you send 200 apps when vast majority of the firms don't have available openings?


Junior associate openings are for people who have actually graduated or maybe 3Ls, not for summer associates. You're applying to be a summer associate not a junior associate. If they have a summer program then you can assume they're hiring, but honestly it takes more time to figure that out than it does to send the application. Just send applications via e-mail directly to the recruiting contacts of firms.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6761
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Kratos » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How/Should one mass mail as a transfer student before knowing exactly where you're transferring?

Currently planning on attending Michigan unless the law school gods shine on me and I get into CCN.

Is it unethical / would it look terrible to apply with Michigan on my resume, then update if I switch schools?

I wouldn't apply with a school on there that you might not end up attending

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am

Those who have had success MMing, about how long after your initial email did you begin to receive responses? I sent about +100 emails over the course of last week and have yet to receive anything besides approximately 5 "apply online" responses.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.