Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xael

Platinum

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by xael » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For OCI I bid heavy NYC with a few in the other big market I would like to work in. Is it appropriate to mass mail the offices in my alternate market of firms that I have bid for OCI? Can't seem to find any advice on this so any would be appreciated.
not anon (that I remember), but could we get an answer on this?

Can we mass mail both NYC and DC offices?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 pm

xael wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For OCI I bid heavy NYC with a few in the other big market I would like to work in. Is it appropriate to mass mail the offices in my alternate market of firms that I have bid for OCI? Can't seem to find any advice on this so any would be appreciated.

yeah, if you have a reason for multiple cities go for it

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Kratos wrote:
xael wrote:

even if it's the same firm?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 pm

xael wrote:
Kratos wrote:
xael wrote:

in my limited experience and others who I've talked to it was fine, especially if it's a different recruiter for the different offices

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Kratos wrote:
xael wrote:
Kratos wrote:
xael wrote:

in my limited experience and others who I've talked to it was fine, especially if it's a different recruiter for the different offices
In my limited experience I was told it is absolutely NOT fine to apply to multiple offices of the same firm

So there you go. Judgment call.

Seems like more people say it's ok than people who say it isn't so do with that what you will.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Kratos wrote: in my limited experience and others who I've talked to it was fine, especially if it's a different recruiter for the different offices
In my limited experience I was told it is absolutely NOT fine to apply to multiple offices of the same firm

Seems like more people say it's ok than people who say it isn't so do with that what you will.
are we in a fight now?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Kratos wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Kratos wrote: in my limited experience and others who I've talked to it was fine, especially if it's a different recruiter for the different offices

are we in a fight now?
Ya

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:56 pm

I've heard it's fine only if there are different recruiters. Gonna guess no one here can actually give a straight answer.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Zuck has promised a fight on like the last three pages and hasn't delivered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:37 pm

#TeamZuck

Although, I like Kratos too.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 am

Again, more people agree with Kratos' line of thought so that's probably the way to go.

I didn't bid/apply to multiple offices and at least at the firm I ended up at that seems like it was the smart way to go.

It might help you get an offer, and it might screw you someplace else. I'm a coward, so I went with not screwing myself anywhere. But maybe I left screeners/offers on the table, I don't know.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am

crumb cake wrote:A lot of NALP recruiting contacts have the prefix "Mrs." Are you all changing this to "Ms."?
Put what it says on the website.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 pm

For offices that advertise on a school's Symplicity for 2016 SAs but aren't coming to your OCI, would you recommend applying through Symplicity or emailing the recruiting coordinator? Does it make a difference?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For offices that advertise on a school's Symplicity for 2016 SAs but aren't coming to your OCI, would you recommend applying through Symplicity or emailing the recruiting coordinator? Does it make a difference?
They're soliciting apps from your school on Symplicity which implies to me that they are more likely to read apps that come through there than random mass blasts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Not related to mass mailing resumes and cover letters to big law recruiting personnel, but what’s TCR in cold emailing an attorney who works at a gov agency you’re interested in interning for? I found the attorney’s name on linkedin and she went to my law school. I filled out a fall internship application on the agency’s web portal, but figure networking with someone real might help.
Should I just reach out and say I’m interested in learning more about the organization and her role? I assume I don’t actually send her a resume or CL or any documents off the bat. Should I hint that I filled out an application for the org recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Whoops, misposted to this thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:35 pm

I know this was mentioned above, but does the day you apply via mass mail matter? Is it better to wait until monday / tuesday rather than apply friday-sunday?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this was mentioned above, but does the day you apply via mass mail matter? Is it better to wait until monday / tuesday rather than apply friday-sunday?
nobody really knows, unless we have a firm recruiter that can offer insight. Do whatever will make you feel more comfortable, cause in reality best guess is it probably doesn't make too big of a difference

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I have posted this in several threads and some people have told me it was helpful so I figured I should post it in the dedicated mass mail thread.

Hopefully this helps. PM If you have any questions.

I would suggest that you do not email the recruiters. This was my hierarchy for emailing:

1) Undergrad alum
2) Member of my law school's Law Review alum
3) Law school alum
4) Head of the group I was targeting
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

Also, I would always apply online if possible AND mass mail through the above method.

I received my offer after applying online and mass mailing the managing partner. Before my interview I was rejected through my online application (did not bring this fact up in the interview haha). Got the gig a week later.

Good luck all!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:51 pm

I got a lot of screeners through mass mailing and every single time I emailed the recruiter (and only the recruiter)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:I got a lot of screeners through mass mailing and every single time I emailed the recruiter (and only the recruiter)
Yeah while obviously it worked for that guy, I feel like more bad than good would potentially come from this.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:I got a lot of screeners through mass mailing and every single time I emailed the recruiter (and only the recruiter)
There is no magic recipe for mass mailing. The whole exercise is a numbers game and luck of the draw. In my experience in mass mailing as 2L and 3L was that directly contacting someone who most resembles you worked best (since they may be wiling to help out more / at least open your attachments).

One suggestion might be to vary things up. If you are sending 100+ emails, see what works best for you and go from there.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 pm

There is a Gmail add on called yesmail that you guys might want to get. Updates you on when your email was opened and if and when any attachments were opened; might be useful for keeping track of when or if you should email other folk at a firm.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:36 pm

I don't think I would just apply directly through an alum. Seems kind of weird and likely to be offputing and get deleted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”