Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYstate

Gold

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by NYstate » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just am really confused as to how I even got this interview, my resume SCREAMS a particular major market, there is nothing on my resume which would insinuate any ties to this market, which TLS would consider very insular.
I was in the exact same position, resume screams one market, got two CBs in a far away land somehow, and totally wasted everyone's time by going to them. Dings were both sent same day because I had no demonstrable ties.

Am I saying you should just give up? No, go in with full confidence and make up good reasons for being there. But just know, somewhere in the back of your head, that you're probably wasting your time.
Why even offer the interview then? It makes no sense.
It is your chance to convince them to hire you. They are interested in knowing more about you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am

I'm top 20% LR at a southern T25, and I need some help. OCI is pretty much a strike out and I've been mailing extensively but I'm not really sure what it gonna take to get firms to consider me. Should I be focused on secondary markets and small/mid-sized firms? I don't really have good ties to many secondary markets and the geophraphic background on my résumé apparently makes it difficult to tell where I'm from, but I feel like NYC/DC is a major battle from my school. Kinda freaking out at this point. Tips anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 am

I've been emailing alums and saying I didn't get an OCI screener but will be in town in case they can help schedule me an interview. I include my resume and transcript. I think this is faster because I don't need to send a cover letter to alums. A lot of them respond and say they'll forward my materials. Some say they are done hiring. One said he will be happy to talk to me on the phone about what he does.

Should I continue doing this or should I go the traditional route and send a full application including cover letter to recruiting?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been emailing alums and saying I didn't get an OCI screener but will be in town in case they can help schedule me an interview. I include my resume and transcript. I think this is faster because I don't need to send a cover letter to alums. A lot of them respond and say they'll forward my materials. Some say they are done hiring. One said he will be happy to talk to me on the phone about what he does.

Should I continue doing this or should I go the traditional route and send a full application including cover letter to recruiting?
I suggest first emailing recruiting then emailing the alum to tell them you had and that you're in town or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Question: Is anyone going to put together a 2013 2L OCI Results spreadsheet like last year's? I found it super helpful throughout the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: Is anyone going to put together a 2013 2L OCI Results spreadsheet like last year's? I found it super helpful throughout the process.
I'll put a new one together.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: Is anyone going to put together a 2013 2L OCI Results spreadsheet like last year's? I found it super helpful throughout the process.
Are you a fan of horror movies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Are you a fan of horror movies?
It'll be interesting to see how the two years' data compare. Thanks, bk.

purpleparrot

New

Post by purpleparrot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:43 pm

How often are y'all following up? I usually wait two weeks but should I again after another two? I know they are inevitable dings but I still want to remind them I exist

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Checking in.

Had six CB and 4 rejections. The other two are probably on the way soon. Sucks, but need to keep my head up and start mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in.

Had six CB and 4 rejections. The other two are probably on the way soon. Sucks, but need to keep my head up and start mass mailing.
Similar situation here. Just gotta keep at it till you get something. Good luck to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Out of arrogance I did not bid on a lot of firms for the second round of OCI (all the big dogs come to our early fall OCI). Now that I'm scrambling from a likely CB strike out, I want to hit up those firms. I far exceed the median at most of the firms, so how should I approach applying to them now after I did not initially bid on them?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Out of arrogance I did not bid on a lot of firms for the second round of OCI (all the big dogs come to our early fall OCI). Now that I'm scrambling from a likely CB strike out, I want to hit up those firms. I far exceed the median at most of the firms, so how should I approach applying to them now after I did not initially bid on them?
Send an email

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Out of arrogance I did not bid on a lot of firms for the second round of OCI (all the big dogs come to our early fall OCI). Now that I'm scrambling from a likely CB strike out, I want to hit up those firms. I far exceed the median at most of the firms, so how should I approach applying to them now after I did not initially bid on them?
I don't think there is any way you could bring it up first that wouldn't be worse than saying nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:30 am

OP - so just act like they were not even at second round OCI?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP - so just act like they were not even at second round OCI?
Yep

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Can anyone with any experience speak to the hiring timelines for smaller firms in secondary markets (like 30-100 person firms)? I sent a lot of my mass mailings to these kinds of places in early August but have heard nothing back so far. Is it unreasonable to read their silence as a ding like you would for NYC mass mailings? I've sent out about ~100 so far (although some were to NYC) and feel panic creeping in b/c I've only had one CB that I got from OCI and nothing else.

Related question, if this is way early in their recruiting calendars, and I notice a typo in a cover letter I've sent to these places (or in general it wasn't a super detailed cover letter), should I send them another copy and say "I have previously applied to your firm in August but thought I would send you my updated materials and reiterate my interest in working at blah blah...." Or will they catch on that I edited the cover letter?

(Probably irrelevant but in case someone asks I'm median @ lower T14 with great ties to the secondary market.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Career services told me not to mass-mail. I just snagged two interviews (one V5 and one V50) via mass-mailing. Very glad I chose to walk out of that office and never return.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Career services told me not to mass-mail. I just snagged two interviews (one V5 and one V50) via mass-mailing. Very glad I chose to walk out of that office and never return.
Congrats bud. CSOs are fucking worthless (the irony is they have the potential to add a ton of EV compared to professors and other admin positions that are also paid for by tuition and yet CSOs consistently give terrible advice that it often seems that not having them at all outside of running OCI would be better for students).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Career services told me not to mass-mail. I just snagged two interviews (one V5 and one V50) via mass-mailing. Very glad I chose to walk out of that office and never return.
Congrats bud. CSOs are fucking worthless (the irony is they have the potential to add a ton of EV compared to professors and other admin positions that are also paid for by tuition and yet CSOs consistently give terrible advice that it often seems that not having them at all outside of running OCI would be better for students).
My CSO spent more time in the wake of OCI trying to reassure me that callbacks were coming than actually advising me on what to do next.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I am also curious about the timeline of smaller firms in secondary markets. I would think they are probably dings but I have heard those types of firms operate on a different timeline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am also curious about the timeline of smaller firms in secondary markets. I would think they are probably dings but I have heard those types of firms operate on a different timeline.
Yeah, I guess given how early I mailed and how these kinds of firms are less organized than biglaw firms, I really want to get an actual ding from them so I know it didn't just get buried in someone's mailbox.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:54 am

When mass mailing a firm that is not located where my law school is located, do I have to tell them that I will be in that city for a certain week?

I don't really have much money and it would suck for me to fly out and take care of arrangements myself, but if it is necessary, then I've gotta do it.

Or do firms actually invite you for a CB simply by looking at your email, resume, transcript, etc.?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:When mass mailing a firm that is not located where my law school is located, do I have to tell them that I will be in that city for a certain week?

I don't really have much money and it would suck for me to fly out and take care of arrangements myself, but if it is necessary, then I've gotta do it.

Or do firms actually invite you for a CB simply by looking at your email, resume, transcript, etc.?
You don't have to but if you're borderline it may be helpful since they may want to do a screening interview before doing an actual callback. Alternatively you could just say nothing and they might just ask if you'll be in town for a screening interview. Even if you say you'll be in town I wouldn't actually book the trip unless a firm asks you to come in for a screening interview. That said, some firms do offer a callback based purely on your application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”