Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm

This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby UVA2B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.


If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.

dc912
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby dc912 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
dc912 wrote:I started a trial court clerkship a couple weeks ago and am starting to get my materials ready for the job hunt. Looking at private firms in NY/Philly/NJ/ (and to a lesser extent, Chicago).

In law school, the only mass mailing I did was for clerkships. When applying to private firms, is it better to paper mail or apply online? I've heard mixed opinions.

Also, for paper mail, what should I send? Resume, cover letter, etc? How much do grades matter after you've clerked?

If you think you can help me, please feel free to message me! :)

The norm in that region is online. Never ever paper.

Yup, going forward I would totally ignore any and all advice from someone who says to snail mail


Thank you! Would you guys suggest applying through online portals? Or should I just directly email the recruiting contact?

BigZuck
Posts: 11710
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.


If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.

Maybe your firm is different but at my firm they would know you applied to other offices and they would hold it against you.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby UVA2B » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

BigZuck wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.


If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.

Maybe your firm is different but at my firm they would know you applied to other offices and they would hold it against you.


Yeah, I probably should've better qualified that it does entirely depend on the specific firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

So, how can one maximize the number of apps you send out, without hurting any chances at a particular firm?

Also BigZuck, do you know if your firm's policy, common practice?

BigZuck
Posts: 11710
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, how can one maximize the number of apps you send out, without hurting any chances at a particular firm?

Also BigZuck, do you know if your firm's policy, common practice?

I have no way of quantifying how common that is, I just have one anecdote. People will argue about this for literal pages and pages on this site.

I think you always take your one best shot with a firm. There's about a billion law firms to apply to. That's enough. Take your best shot with each. You don't need to expand the scope to 10 billion applications by trying to apply to each individual office you can find.

YMMV

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mass mailed, offer at top international firm abroad. NOT TOO LATE FOR MM. Seriously do NOT quit MM yet even though it's late.


Congrats!! Any chance you'd say where it is and/or how you got it?


Also interested in knowing where

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 am

OP for international firm here. I'll say it was magic circle international based office. I know my firm is done but some of the magic circle foreign offices remain open (almost positive Clifford chance is still hiring based on my mentor's info)
Got the job simply through mm and showing my language skills during the CB to a partner who also spoke said language.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 am

BigZuck wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.


If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.

Maybe your firm is different but at my firm they would know you applied to other offices and they would hold it against you.


Massmailed two offices of same biglaw firm.

Office one: immediate ding, no screener.

Office two: screener, callback, and offer.

bvuona615
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby bvuona615 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 pm

bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed

juice122
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby juice122 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed


Could I get a PM too? I'm in the same spot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 pm

[Accidental anon post]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danggimmejob
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Danggimmejob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

juice122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed


Could I get a PM too? I'm in the same spot.


Could I piggy back on this as well? I'd really appreciate it!

massmailorbust
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby massmailorbust » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Danggimmejob wrote:
juice122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed


Could I get a PM too? I'm in the same spot.


Could I piggy back on this as well? I'd really appreciate it!


OP here. Realized I've only posted anonymously on this account, so feel free to shoot me a PM.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.


Would you kindly provide your stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.


Would you kindly provide your stats?


Median at MPVD

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed

Could I also get that PM?

EDIT: Username - Throwaonetwothree

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed

Could I also get that PM?

EDIT: Username - Throwaonetwothree


If you could pm me as well - extraemail32

cinnabunnyy
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby cinnabunnyy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.


Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.


PMed

Could I also get that PM?

EDIT: Username - Throwaonetwothree


If you could pm me as well - extraemail32


Me too as well please!

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't give up. I did my cb with WSGR's dc office last week. Rejected, but it seems like they are still recruiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't give up. I did my cb with WSGR's dc office last week. Rejected, but it seems like they are still recruiting.

[deleted]

Anonymous User
Posts: 301607
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

For those looking to do corporate law but striking out of big law, in-house positions may be a great alternative! My company, Gusto, is currently looking for two 2L-3L summer interns! (http://grnh.se/258ak01) Some background about me: I struck out at big law, worked at a small law firm my 2L summer, and took on several in-house internships (including one at Gusto), and was offered a full-time position with a tech company immediately prior to graduation! Don't give up hope - get creative. I am making good money, learning tons, and much happier than I imagine I would have been had I done big law!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.