Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 pm

After mass-mailing and following-up, is there anything else to do aside from waiting?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After mass-mailing and following-up, is there anything else to do aside from waiting?
You're not done mailing applications until you have a job
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After mass-mailing and following-up, is there anything else to do aside from waiting?
I've applied to NY and all markets I have 'ties' to, should Ijust start emailing other markets as well?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
I've applied to NY and all markets I have 'ties' to, should Ijust start emailing other markets as well?
Applied to what though? There's hundreds of firms in NYC alone
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:31 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm

I will keep applying, nice to see some success ^^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Tier 1 school transfer student. 3.82/4.33 gpa, law review and 7 years work experience (lobbying). Went 13/30 on OCI bids with 1 callback (which may not have gone great).

Just MM’d over 100 firms in DC.

What are the odds I can find a SA this late in the game?

I’m interested in transactional corpotate work, but will litigate for food.
Above anon OP here: Up to 400 emails and over 200 online submissions. Just got a screening call and immediate call back offer for a V30 firm with a Boston office. There is hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 pm

If you're feeling down and out. Just remember: Pats were down 28-3 in the 3rd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 pm

To give all the MMers hope: last year, I struck out at my T14.. mass mailed so many firms.. eventually, a firm I mm'd sent me a letter (I expected it to be a ding, but I read it, and what do you know, they invite me in to interview). I end up going in, interviewing, and getting an offer for the SA.

Don't give up!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Any consensus on how soon to follow up with firms at this point? Every week? 2 weeks?

lawyersHATEhim

New

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any consensus on how soon to follow up with firms at this point? Every week? 2 weeks?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:To give all the MMers hope: last year, I struck out at my T14.. mass mailed so many firms.. eventually, a firm I mm'd sent me a letter (I expected it to be a ding, but I read it, and what do you know, they invite me in to interview). I end up going in, interviewing, and getting an offer for the SA.

Don't give up!!!
When did you hear back? How late is too late to hear good news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 am

Just wanted to circle back: I officially struck out from OCI at 4:15pm yesterday. But 20 minutes later I got an offer call from a Mass Mail call back I did earlier that morning for a V30 in a secondary market. Took it. There's hope, all it takes is one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I am mostly MM only small firms that have SA programs. what do you guys think about MM today, the friday before a long weekend? would the email get lost in someone's inbox?

lawyersHATEhim

New

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am mostly MM only small firms that have SA programs. what do you guys think about MM today, the friday before a long weekend? would the email get lost in someone's inbox?
There's a higher than normal risk, yes. Save all those potential emails as drafts and be ready to click send around 8:00am Tuesday morning. Nobody is going to read them over the weekend anyway

massmailorbust

New

Post by massmailorbust » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 pm

If a firm directs us to apply online, should you just focus on one office? I assume they can see all of your applications and could be wary that you've applied to several.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 pm

massmailorbust wrote:If a firm directs us to apply online, should you just focus on one office? I assume they can see all of your applications and could be wary that you've applied to several.
Bumping this question. Also, does saying you're interested in a certain practice area that the region/firm is known for help your chances at said firm?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
massmailorbust wrote:If a firm directs us to apply online, should you just focus on one office? I assume they can see all of your applications and could be wary that you've applied to several.
Bumping this question. Also, does saying you're interested in a certain practice area that the region/firm is known for help your chances at said firm?
I think you take your one best shot always but people argue about that for pages and pages and pages.

I think Yes to the second question but make sure your pitch is as convincing as possible.

dc912

New

Post by dc912 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm

I started a trial court clerkship a couple weeks ago and am starting to get my materials ready for the job hunt. Looking at private firms in NY/Philly/NJ/ (and to a lesser extent, Chicago).

In law school, the only mass mailing I did was for clerkships. When applying to private firms, is it better to paper mail or apply online? I've heard mixed opinions.

Also, for paper mail, what should I send? Resume, cover letter, etc? How much do grades matter after you've clerked?

If you think you can help me, please feel free to message me! :)

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 pm

lawyersHATEhim wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any consensus on how soon to follow up with firms at this point? Every week? 2 weeks?
Bump
I would give it three weeks to a month. If you haven't heard anything, follow up with a polite just checking on the status of my application. Are there any materials I could forward to supplement my app to help in the decision making process? etc. Also, make sure you're continuing to mass mail in the meantime. Good luck!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

dc912 wrote:I started a trial court clerkship a couple weeks ago and am starting to get my materials ready for the job hunt. Looking at private firms in NY/Philly/NJ/ (and to a lesser extent, Chicago).

In law school, the only mass mailing I did was for clerkships. When applying to private firms, is it better to paper mail or apply online? I've heard mixed opinions.

Also, for paper mail, what should I send? Resume, cover letter, etc? How much do grades matter after you've clerked?

The norm in that region is online. Never ever paper.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am

Mass mailed, offer at top international firm abroad. NOT TOO LATE FOR MM. Seriously do NOT quit MM yet even though it's late.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
dc912 wrote:I started a trial court clerkship a couple weeks ago and am starting to get my materials ready for the job hunt. Looking at private firms in NY/Philly/NJ/ (and to a lesser extent, Chicago).

The norm in that region is online. Never ever paper.
Yup, going forward I would totally ignore any and all advice from someone who says to snail mail

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mass mailed, offer at top international firm abroad. NOT TOO LATE FOR MM. Seriously do NOT quit MM yet even though it's late.
Congrats!! Any chance you'd say where it is and/or how you got it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”