Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm

This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
Assuming you have some sort of ties to each market.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may have been discussed already.
But I am wondering how much it would hurt to apply to a bunch of markets for the same firm? (not on an online app, but through emailing recruiters?)
If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.

dc912

New

Post by dc912 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
dc912 wrote:I started a trial court clerkship a couple weeks ago and am starting to get my materials ready for the job hunt. Looking at private firms in NY/Philly/NJ/ (and to a lesser extent, Chicago).

In law school, the only mass mailing I did was for clerkships. When applying to private firms, is it better to paper mail or apply online? I've heard mixed opinions.

Also, for paper mail, what should I send? Resume, cover letter, etc? How much do grades matter after you've clerked?

If you think you can help me, please feel free to message me! :)
The norm in that region is online. Never ever paper.
Yup, going forward I would totally ignore any and all advice from someone who says to snail mail
Thank you! Would you guys suggest applying through online portals? Or should I just directly email the recruiting contact?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

UVA2B wrote:
If you want to work there, apply to the firm. Most bigger firms have different recruiting contacts for each office, so they won't even know you applied to their other offices, and even if they did, they won't hold that against you. You're applying for jobs, if they have openings, they'll consider your application as an interest in their office. Just make sure you have a compelling answer for every market/firm you apply to, which isn't any different when applying through any other medium.
Maybe your firm is different but at my firm they would know you applied to other offices and they would hold it against you.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

BigZuck wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Maybe your firm is different but at my firm they would know you applied to other offices and they would hold it against you.
Yeah, I probably should've better qualified that it does entirely depend on the specific firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

So, how can one maximize the number of apps you send out, without hurting any chances at a particular firm?

Also BigZuck, do you know if your firm's policy, common practice?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, how can one maximize the number of apps you send out, without hurting any chances at a particular firm?

Also BigZuck, do you know if your firm's policy, common practice?
I have no way of quantifying how common that is, I just have one anecdote. People will argue about this for literal pages and pages on this site.

I think you always take your one best shot with a firm. There's about a billion law firms to apply to. That's enough. Take your best shot with each. You don't need to expand the scope to 10 billion applications by trying to apply to each individual office you can find.

YMMV

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mass mailed, offer at top international firm abroad. NOT TOO LATE FOR MM. Seriously do NOT quit MM yet even though it's late.
Congrats!! Any chance you'd say where it is and/or how you got it?
Also interested in knowing where

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 am

OP for international firm here. I'll say it was magic circle international based office. I know my firm is done but some of the magic circle foreign offices remain open (almost positive Clifford chance is still hiring based on my mentor's info)
Got the job simply through mm and showing my language skills during the CB to a partner who also spoke said language.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 am

BigZuck wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Massmailed two offices of same biglaw firm.

Office one: immediate ding, no screener.

Office two: screener, callback, and offer.

bvuona615

New

Post by bvuona615 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.
Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 pm

bvuona615 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median at MVP. Took an offer already, but I've gotten several DC+NYC BigLaw screener invites from mass mailing I did last week. It's definitely not too late.
Could I PM you asking for advice/which firms you got screener invites from recently? Desperate here, clearly.
PMed

juice122

New

Post by juice122 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed
Could I get a PM too? I'm in the same spot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 pm

[Accidental anon post]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danggimmejob

New

Post by Danggimmejob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

juice122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed

Could I piggy back on this as well? I'd really appreciate it!

massmailorbust

New

Post by massmailorbust » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Danggimmejob wrote:
juice122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed

Could I piggy back on this as well? I'd really appreciate it!
OP here. Realized I've only posted anonymously on this account, so feel free to shoot me a PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.
Would you kindly provide your stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI and have been invited to do three screeners over the past week or so from mass mailing- one from a V50 in LA/SF, one from an AmLaw100 in a large secondary market, and another from a mid/large firm in a smaller secondary market. There are definitely still firms that are hiring at this point.
Would you kindly provide your stats?
Median at MPVD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed
Could I also get that PM?

EDIT: Username - Throwaonetwothree

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed

If you could pm me as well - extraemail32

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cinnabunnyy

New

Post by cinnabunnyy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bvuona615 wrote:
PMed

If you could pm me as well - extraemail32
Me too as well please!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't give up. I did my cb with WSGR's dc office last week. Rejected, but it seems like they are still recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't give up. I did my cb with WSGR's dc office last week. Rejected, but it seems like they are still recruiting.
[deleted]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

For those looking to do corporate law but striking out of big law, in-house positions may be a great alternative! My company, Gusto, is currently looking for two 2L-3L summer interns! (http://grnh.se/258ak01) Some background about me: I struck out at big law, worked at a small law firm my 2L summer, and took on several in-house internships (including one at Gusto), and was offered a full-time position with a tech company immediately prior to graduation! Don't give up hope - get creative. I am making good money, learning tons, and much happier than I imagine I would have been had I done big law!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”