What's a typical number of CBs through LS interview program?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's a typical number of CBs through LS interview program?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 pm

How many CBs do people usually receive through their LS's campus interview program? Just wondering if the four I have is in the range of normal.

Nelson

Re: What's a typical number of CBs through LS interview program?

Postby Nelson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 pm

This totally depends on the school.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Without telling us your school, your grades, and your number of screeners, it's kind of hard to know.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Not sure if bragging. Either way, the post above mine is TCR.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Zero is probably the most common number.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I'd say most people at a T14 probably have like 2. Maybe 5 if you are top third. Probably ten for the top 10-15%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 pm

OP here - def not bragging - just have no idea and would never talk about this issue with anyone IRL. T14/ top third/ secondary journal. I'm gathering I should be really grateful rather than afraid. Had about 20 screeners but have not yet heard back from all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd say most people at a T14 probably have like 2. Maybe 5 if you are top third. Probably ten for the top 10-15%

I go to a mid-T14 school, and from my admittedly very limited anecdotal experience, top 20% + LR types can probably expect around 12-15 CBs. Median to about top 1/3 can range from a low of 0-2 to almost double digits depending on work experience and interview skills.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd say most people at a T14 probably have like 2. Maybe 5 if you are top third. Probably ten for the top 10-15%

I go to a mid-T14 school, and from my admittedly very limited anecdotal experience, top 20% + LR types can probably expect around 12-15 CBs. Median to about top 1/3 can range from a low of 0-2 to almost double digits depending on work experience and interview skills.

Agreed about median to top 3rd. That's where personality, work experience, etc. etc. really yield wildly different results.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - def not bragging - just have no idea and would never talk about this issue with anyone IRL. T14/ top third/ secondary journal. I'm gathering I should be really grateful rather than afraid. Had about 20 screeners but have not yet heard back from all.

If it's been a couple weeks and you interviewed with major market firms, you need to get rolling on mass mails and other job app stuff yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here - def not bragging - just have no idea and would never talk about this issue with anyone IRL. T14/ top third/ secondary journal. I'm gathering I should be really grateful rather than afraid. Had about 20 screeners but have not yet heard back from all.

If it's been a couple weeks and you interviewed with major market firms, you need to get rolling on mass mails and other job app stuff yesterday

Wait, how many CBs does OP have?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Wait, how many CBs does OP have?

Anonymous User wrote:How many CBs do people usually receive through their LS's campus interview program? Just wondering if the four I have is in the range of normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed about median to top 3rd. That's where personality, work experience, etc. etc. really yield wildly different results.

I'm median at a mid-T14 and this is me. I have decent WE too so I must just have a crap personality or I'm flubbing the interviews somehow another way, I've only gotten 3 CBs (2 of them surprising because I had them labeled reach firms based on past data, which only makes me more nervous because I somehow feel like I have more to prove at the actual CB). I have managed to get dinged at almost every firm that I had as my targets (some of which I really liked :().

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm median at a mid-T14 and this is me. I have decent WE too so I must just have a crap personality or I'm flubbing the interviews somehow another way, I've only gotten 3 CBs (2 of them surprising because I had them labeled reach firms based on past data, which only makes me more nervous because I somehow feel like I have more to prove at the actual CB). I have managed to get dinged at almost every firm that I had as my targets (some of which I really liked :().

3 CB's at median is good. You've got shit grades (not to imply I was any better), what do you expect? You just didn't have realistic expectations going into this. Start mass mailing, but you should land at least one of the three. 3 CB's at median doesn't mean you suck at interviewing, so don't get in your own head.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:3 CB's at median is good. You've got shit grades (not to imply I was any better), what do you expect? You just didn't have realistic expectations going into this. Start mass mailing, but you should land at least one of the three. 3 CB's at median doesn't mean you suck at interviewing, so don't get in your own head.

Haha, credited, but I obviously don't rock at interviewing either. You're probably right about the expectations thing, I thought I had a good balance of reach/target firms but other people I know who have lower grades and bid differently have significantly more CBs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:3 CB's at median is good. You've got shit grades (not to imply I was any better), what do you expect? You just didn't have realistic expectations going into this. Start mass mailing, but you should land at least one of the three. 3 CB's at median doesn't mean you suck at interviewing, so don't get in your own head.

Haha, credited, but I obviously don't rock at interviewing either. You're probably right about the expectations thing, I thought I had a good balance of reach/target firms but other people I know who have lower grades and bid differently have significantly more CBs.

OCI isn't really a science and it's not a function where you put in grades and out comes a number of CBs

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat. Is there any point to mass mailing at median? It just seems futile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 pm

It's quite an indictment of the legal profession when having better grades than about half of your class elevates you to "shit" level in terms of job prospects.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

At median at a t14, everything is a reach. Sure there are firms that call back a lot of people who have median grades, but I can't think of any that is calling back nearly everyone they interview with at median. Some firms will overlook median, but nobody is impressed by it.

People don't do a good job of interpreting OCI data they get from career services. Just because you are better than their average callback GPA, doesn't mean you are a shoo-in for a callback.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm

3|ink wrote:

I'm kind of in the same boat. Is there any point to mass mailing at median? It just seems futile.

You only need one.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's quite an indictment of the legal profession when having better grades than about half of your class elevates you to "shit" level in terms of job prospects.

Just wondering, how many jobs do you think there are? There are many more qualified students then there are jobs available. I think someone posted a total of biglaw SAs in all of Chicago and it was around 300. But that was an overstatement because some firms included all offices.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't go as far to say that median = shit job prospects. Most people around median get a damn good job. You just aren't going to get 10 callbacks. You'll get 3, with 1 offer. But that's still 160k. Problem is you can easily go 2 callbacks 0 offers and be fucked.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't go as far to say that median = shit job prospects. Most people around median get a damn good job. You just aren't going to get 10 callbacks. You'll get 3, with 1 offer. But that's still 160k. Problem is you can easily go 2 callbacks 0 offers and be fucked.

I think it might be worse now, dawg.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it might be worse now, dawg.

You mean this year is even worse than 2014, might be.

Return to “Legal Employment”