Drop out of YHS?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Drop out of YHS?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fluffythepenguin wrote:Just out of curiosity, does it make a difference if the school is H/Y vs. S? My (uninformed) opinion is that HY will have better flexibility entering into another career path than S, but I could be way off base here.

Doubt it, to be honest. Know plenty of former SLSers who aren't in law now and are doing very well. Consulting is it's own strange world, but I can't imagine a SLS degree not being as flexible as a HLS degree, certainly (though lay prestige might help you land a job with the HLS degree?)

Agreed. The law school itself might not be as well known but they've got the juggernaut that is stanford university behind them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fluffythepenguin wrote:Just out of curiosity, does it make a difference if the school is H/Y vs. S? My (uninformed) opinion is that HY will have better flexibility entering into another career path than S, but I could be way off base here.

Doubt it, to be honest. Know plenty of former SLSers who aren't in law now and are doing very well. Consulting is it's own strange world, but I can't imagine a SLS degree not being as flexible as a HLS degree, certainly (though lay prestige might help you land a job with the HLS degree?)

There are plenty of lawyers who aren't in law now and are doing well from a variety of schools, but maybe Y/H make it slightly easier than S? I think Y/H/S are probably equal for consulting, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are plenty of lawyers who aren't in law now and are doing well from a variety of schools, but maybe Y/H make it slightly easier than S? I think Y/H/S are probably equal for consulting, though.

i don't know, man. anecdotal evidence is anecdotal but i interviewed at mckinsey this cycle and every single person was from harvard (not just the law school but other graduate schools), except one person. maybe self-selection, but despite the extreme hatred of hls on tls, the degree is really the gift that keeps on giving, with a little luck.

also, to the person questioning the other dude. mckinsey will not look at your grades at all, at least from hls. it's a gruesome interview process but grades have nothing to do with it.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i don't know, man. anecdotal evidence is anecdotal but i interviewed at mckinsey this cycle and every single person was from harvard (not just the law school but other graduate schools), except one person. maybe self-selection, but despite the extreme hatred of hls on tls, the degree is really the gift that keeps on giving, with a little luck.

also, to the person questioning the other dude. mckinsey will not look at your grades at all, at least from hls. it's a gruesome interview process but grades have nothing to do with it.

Please get over yourself with this imaginary Harvard hate. The 0Ls are creaming themselves for Harvard and the lay prestige. We can't help it if Yale and Stanford are much smaller, more selective and more holistic schools. We are just reflecting reality.

I think that Stanford grads do as well as Yale grads. The small class size helps them both because of their extreme selectivity. There is just a ton of East Coast/Northeast bias on TLS. This bias may reflect the seeming lack of Stanford recognition. Anyone involved in hiring knows Stanford and what being a Stanford grad represents. The 0Ls who get their info from TV, not so much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 pm

It's pretty hard to quantify this vague notion that unlike law degrees from any other law school in the country (which have negative value outside of law), HYS law degrees actually do have some degree of versatility. Outside of consulting, all we really have is sporadic anecdotal evidence (and there is a "correlation is not causation problem" as well).

My guess is that the value of HYS law degrees outside of law largely corresponds to the value of having any HYS degree. I'm not sure it makes sense to try to compare the non-law value of H, Y, and S law degrees to each other (given that it's hard to quantify this non-law value at all). But I think it's reasonably safe to say that whatever this value is, H/Y will go a little further on the east coast and S will go a little further in CA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”