Residency requirements - How strict?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Residency requirements - How strict?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm in the process of applying to a state prosecutor's office that has an in-state residency requirement. However, located as it is on the edge of a state (echem), said prosecutor's office is actually very, very convenient to my current state of residence--so convenient that I'd be paying a giant premium (with a lower quality of life), on top of moving fees, to live at an equal proximity (while uprooting my family, to boot).

So: how seriously do these offices take residency requirements? Assuming they aren't waivable, are they at least squishy? It's difficult to tell whether they're formalities--whether every other person claims to live with their Aunt Hilda in her in-state townhouse--or whether they're Serious Business. Obviously, if they're Serious Business, I'm probably better off not trying to dissemble to a prosecutor's office...

Any experience or wisdom to share?

BostonLove

Re: Residency requirements - How strict?

Postby BostonLove » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the process of applying to a state prosecutor's office that has an in-state residency requirement. However, located as it is on the edge of a state (echem), said prosecutor's office is actually very, very convenient to my current state of residence--so convenient that I'd be paying a giant premium (with a lower quality of life), on top of moving fees, to live at an equal proximity (while uprooting my family, to boot).

So: how seriously do these offices take residency requirements? Assuming they aren't waivable, are they at least squishy? It's difficult to tell whether they're formalities--whether every other person claims to live with their Aunt Hilda in her in-state townhouse--or whether they're Serious Business. Obviously, if they're Serious Business, I'm probably better off not trying to dissemble to a prosecutor's office...

Any experience or wisdom to share?

Nothing to share, but I'd guess that this varies by state. I'd suggest asking people who work in the office (or your school's career services, if they seem helpful and might know).

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:55 pm

I worked at a NYC DA's office. Sometimes they'd allow people to live in the county immediately outside of NYC but I can't imagine them allowing someone to live in another state i.e. NJ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 am

I figured that was the case. Was it address-by-address verification or something more searching?

(I really wish these requirements didn't exist...)

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 am

I have a state government job with a residency requirement - I had to send in proof of residency (electric bill or lease).

Return to “Legal Employment”