NYC Legal Aid Society OCI interview...yay or nay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
joysbreath

NYC Legal Aid Society OCI interview...yay or nay?

Postby joysbreath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi all, I got an OCI offer from the NYC Legal Aid Society. Not exactly a field I want to get into. I'm going for corporate or in-house, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether a 2L summer internship with Legal Aid would be relevant to me looking for a job in the big firms when I graduate? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Legal Aid Society OCI interview...yay or nay?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:39 pm

What do you mean by an OCI offer? Did you get an invitation to work during the summer? Or is this just an OCI interview. If all you're asking about is an OCI interview, you should do it if you're going to be on campus anyway.

If you actually got an offer to work there:

Can you split your summer? From what I remember, doesn't NYC Legal Aid make some full-time offers to its summers? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Legal Aid can also be great work to do during the semester whether it's with NYC or another one. I worked in public interest during the semester and that was a nice way to do traditional firm-type work during the summer and still getting PI-type experience during the semester.

joysbreath

Postby joysbreath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Clarification: it's an offer for an interview, not a job.
Reason I'm debating whether I should go is I don't want to take up the interview spot since I'm not even interested in working for them if it doesn't benefit my future career in some way. I'd rather give it to someone else who really wants it.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Don't do it. You will waste your and the interviewer's time, as well as take up a slot.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:02 pm

It would do absolutely nothing for your chances of working at a big firm. Might even hurt.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 pm

It would be a waste of time in every way. They'll be even less interested in hiring you than you would be in working there. (ETA: I don't mean that as a diss. These jobs are for people who are really committed.)

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Also, as far as this:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I remember, doesn't NYC Legal Aid make some full-time offers to its summers? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they may give past interns some sort of minor permanent hiring preference, like you get to skip the first round of interviews or something, but I am fairly positive they don't make any permanent offers to 2L summers a la law firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”