OCI - Lots of Silence Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI - Lots of Silence

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

It seems like this year firms are taking a looong time to callback and reject candidates. Many firms have not issued decisions either way. I've spoken to friends at other schools and they have noticed the same thing. Do firms usually have waiting lists/give CBs several weeks after screeners?

IAFG

Platinum

Re: OCI - Lots of Silence

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:02 pm

No, "several weeks" is rare. Start working on job searching outside of OCI/Symplicity.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 pm

I got a CB with my firm over three weeks after the initial screener. I think this is rare, however.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

at my T20, I've noticed that non-Chicago midwest firms are moving relatively slowly - I'd say about half of my screeners haven't made any CB's yet. I also received a NYC callback from a V20 19 days after the screener. So some firms are moving slower.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like this year firms are taking a looong time to callback and reject candidates. Many firms have not issued decisions either way. I've spoken to friends at other schools and they have noticed the same thing. Do firms usually have waiting lists/give CBs several weeks after screeners?
Agreed, though I don't know if this is the usual or not (from other TLS threads, I'm guessing not). It's taking a while to hear back from firms so far, but I'm just guessing this means I'm in some maybe piles or something. I've heard the same from others at my and other schools. (New England markets, if that matters)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:07 pm

It varies by market. At my OCI, some NY firms were making callbacks within hours of the interview, most within a business day and the remaining few within a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 pm

FWIW I'm in SoCal with poor stats (bottom quarter GPA) and have received only a handful of no's so far. With my stats I would have thought that I would be in the definitely no pile across the board by now (2 weeks after OCI).

Not URM, not hard science, no significant work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 pm

I felt like firms moved slowly last year. I was doing callbacks in october. However, firms moving slowly looks exactly the same as rejection letters coming in the mail. You should just assume its not happening and move on with your search.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I felt like firms moved slowly last year. I was doing callbacks in october. However, firms moving slowly looks exactly the same as rejection letters coming in the mail. You should just assume its not happening and move on with your search.
Oh, agreed. Until I have an interview, I assume it's a no. Have to stay motivated!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Checking in. A LOT of silence on my front here as well. I've interviewed with a lot of firms from minority fairs, and a few through OCI. I got one rejection in the last 3 weeks.

I'm going to keep heart that some will call me back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. A LOT of silence on my front here as well. I've interviewed with a lot of firms from minority fairs, and a few through OCI. I got one rejection in the last 3 weeks.

I've been interviewing for almost 3 weeks now (screeners, different fairs). I've heard back from a little over half (just got a ding today from one of my first interviews), 1 CB, and still waiting on a bunch of others. Every ding is one less potential, though at this point I'm just expecting all the silences to be dings (though clearly still hoping!).

Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. A LOT of silence on my front here as well. I've interviewed with a lot of firms from minority fairs, and a few through OCI. I got one rejection in the last 3 weeks.

I've been interviewing for almost 3 weeks now (screeners, different fairs). I've heard back from a little over half (just got a ding today from one of my first interviews), 1 CB, and still waiting on a bunch of others. Every ding is one less potential, though at this point I'm just expecting all the silences to be dings (though clearly still hoping!).

Good luck!!
Congrats on the CB! I've gotten a few dings, but I am going to keep trying. Maybe we bumped into each other in one of these fairs. And good luck to you as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!!
Congrats on the CB! I've gotten a few dings, but I am going to keep trying. Maybe we bumped into each other in one of these fairs. And good luck to you as well!
Thanks! I'm focusing on mailings all the more now, since I only have one more screener scheduled (and that CB). I know a lot of my classmates aren't mailing until next week or later, so hopefully these will still be earlier than others!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!!
Thanks! I'm focusing on mailings all the more now, since I only have one more screener scheduled (and that CB). I know a lot of my classmates aren't mailing until next week or later, so hopefully these will still be earlier than others!
Good luck on the CB and screener! I have one more screener too, and I'll be done (although I will be mass mailing soon as well). Keep me updated on what happens and I hope that we both find something!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 pm

My CB came about 2 weeks after the screener. My offer came about two weeks after that. So my offer was early September. This was a V30 in NYC and I go to a T25.

Several of my other CBs were faster, but I didn't get offers from those. It only takes one though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”