Reception/ Dinner Advice or Tips?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reception/ Dinner Advice or Tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:10 pm

My first one's coming up. Are these more like call back interviews in tone or are they actually like dinners? I'm just wondering if it's acceptable to let the conversation flow naturally or if I should be asking "serious" questions about the firm, practice areas, etc. for the most part.

Also, do we need to bring anything with us? I'm a girl- should I bring my purse or will that be awkward if I'm just standing around carrying my purse the whole time?

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: Reception/ Dinner Advice or Tips?

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My first one's coming up. Are these more like call back interviews in tone or are they actually like dinners? I'm just wondering if it's acceptable to let the conversation flow naturally or if I should be asking "serious" questions about the firm, practice areas, etc. for the most part.

Also, do we need to bring anything with us? I'm a girl- should I bring my purse or will that be awkward if I'm just standing around carrying my purse the whole time?

It depends on who is invited to this. If it's a bunch of LR nerds, they're all going to have read up on the firm and will ask serious questions about unique aspects of the firm that will grow incredibly repetitive and dull to lawyers putting on the reception. If you want to stand out in a good way, try to either 1) talk about someone you know at the firm and how you know them, or 2) talk about something that's interesting that has nothing to do with their firm (but you need to be careful here not to make it look like you're blowing off an opportunity to get to know about the firm). If you can pull either of these off, you will stick out in a good way.

sap

Postby sap » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 pm

I did one of these recently. We mostly just talked about non-firm stuff - I talked about cooking, some of the attorneys told hilarious stories about firm life that we responded to with non-firmlife stories that were also funny.

Got a formal CB after. These really seem to be "fit" dinners about your social graces rather than an interview lunch.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Just order a round of tequila shots and everything will be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”